White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,207
Default

Here is a wonderful piece at how this year has been a success for the Sox in many ways, with a realistic look at 2020.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here is a wonderful piece at how this year has been a success for the Sox in many ways, with a realistic look at 2020.
Last year when people wanted to tie up Giolito and drag him face down on a gravel road I kept saying I saw something in him that told me he would pull a Koufax.

Thank goodness I was right.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,230
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here is a wonderful piece at how this year has been a success for the Sox in many ways, with a realistic look at 2020.
Cool!
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here is a wonderful piece at how this year has been a success for the Sox in many ways, with a realistic look at 2020.
This perspective is not going to sit well with the pitchfork and torch crowd around here.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
This perspective is not going to sit well with the pitchfork and torch crowd around here.
We give them too much credit. It's a small number of overreactors not indicative of the general feeling about the future of this team. The detractors tend to yell the loudest and most frequently, so it seems like there are more of them.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here is a wonderful piece at how this year has been a success for the Sox in many ways, with a realistic look at 2020.
Great article that I very much agree with. It does ignore some of the disappointment on the farm, primarily due to injuries, but also some lack of development from prospects that I had hopes for (Rutherford, Gonzalez, Hansen to name a few). But the progress of the key players on the major league team has been about as good as could possibly be expected.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
We give them too much credit. It's a small number of overreactors not indicative of the general feeling about the future of this team. The detractors tend to yell the loudest and most frequently, so it seems like there are more of them.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Great article that I very much agree with. It does ignore some of the disappointment on the farm, primarily due to injuries, but also some lack of development from prospects that I had hopes for (Rutherford, Gonzalez, Hansen to name a few). But the progress of the key players on the major league team has been about as good as could possibly be expected.
Hansen has fallen by the wayside, but Stiever seems to be coming out of nowhere. Sheets took a step forward this year too. Next year will be a big one to see if Rutherford and Walker, et al. can take a step forward.

I agree that the depth beyond the elite prospects is thin and that's a concern. One thing to watch out for next year is to see if any of the 2019 HS picks and perhaps other top performers on this year's AZL team (and DSL team) start to look like legit prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Great article that I very much agree with. It does ignore some of the disappointment on the farm, primarily due to injuries, but also some lack of development from prospects that I had hopes for (Rutherford, Gonzalez, Hansen to name a few). But the progress of the key players on the major league team has been about as good as could possibly be expected.
He makes a lot of good points when it comes to the young offensive players the Sox have brought up and the others that should be up next year. However the one thing the Sox need is pitching. Signing Cole is not going to be enough if indeed they do sign him. They need at least two top notch starters and at least two arms in the bullpen. They need to slot Cease as a number 4 or 5 to take off some of the pressure. Lopez is at best a 5. The earned run average of the pitching staff has been horrible and without improvements in the staff things wonít be much better next year. I canít remember when the pitching has been this bad especially with the starters, They need to cut ties with guys like Covey, Detwiler, and Nova. I can see a bright future as well but they need to improve their staff; all you have to do is look inside the numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old Today, 06:40 AM
Camilo, carry-on Camilo, carry-on is online now
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Good point.



Hansen has fallen by the wayside, but Stiever seems to be coming out of nowhere. Sheets took a step forward this year too. Next year will be a big one to see if Rutherford and Walker, et al. can take a step forward.

I agree that the depth beyond the elite prospects is thin and that's a concern. One thing to watch out for next year is to see if any of the 2019 HS picks and perhaps other top performers on this year's AZL team (and DSL team) start to look like legit prospects.
If you mean that by playing at AA instead of A+, Sheets took a step forward, okay, I guess. But Sheets hit .267 with an OPS of .759 at Birmingham. I don't think that's very impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old Today, 08:21 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
If you mean that by playing at AA instead of A+, Sheets took a step forward, okay, I guess. But Sheets hit .267 with an OPS of .759 at Birmingham. I don't think that's very impressive.
He started slowly, in a Southern League where offense overall was suppressed, made adjustments, and hit for higher average and more power as the season progressed.

Iím not saying he will be a star, but by 2021 he could become a useful LH hitter, sharing time with Vaughn between 1B and DH when facing RHP.

Against LHP, you can still have Vaughn at 1B, have Eloy DH, and put a better defensive outfielder who hits RH (Micker Adolfo?) in LF.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old Today, 08:50 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
If you mean that by playing at AA instead of A+, Sheets took a step forward, okay, I guess. But Sheets hit .267 with an OPS of .759 at Birmingham. I don't think that's very impressive.
Looking only at a minor leaguer's season-long stats when he's climbing to a higher level and making adjustments is misleading....especially when his numbers improve after the first 6 weeks or so.

I know this has been pointed out to you several times, so it's not like you aren't aware of this... and yet you choose to repeat the same season numbers. So, the conclusion I must draw is that you are only interested in stats that paint the most negative picture possible and not the ones that are most representative of how a player is progressing.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old Today, 09:37 AM
Camilo, carry-on Camilo, carry-on is online now
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Looking only at a minor leaguer's season-long stats when he's climbing to a higher level and making adjustments is misleading....especially when his numbers improve after the first 6 weeks or so.

I know this has been pointed out to you several times, so it's not like you aren't aware of this... and yet you choose to repeat the same season numbers. So, the conclusion I must draw is that you are only interested in stats that paint the most negative picture possible and not the ones that are most representative of how a player is progressing.
You can slice and dice and parse a player's season to spin your narrative. Using your criterion of dividing the season into segments, I could say the Sheets hit .222 in his last ten games, perhaps indicating that he's regressing.

The bottom line is that Sheets hit .267 at AA for the entire season with an OPS of .759. Those are pretty average numbers and not very impressive.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.