White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 AM
WSI Regular

It seems to me - interest in Machado is a hello for potentially next year when he will undoubtedly be a free agent.

For now - I'd rather keep Y. Sanchez - just for his enthusiasm and all around utility as an infielder.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That’s my entire point, though. Getting a top-tier talent at a mid-tier price does absolutely nothing to alter the rebuild philosophy. The team only has $9.9 million in committed payroll for 2019 and $11.25 million for 2020. A 4-or-5-year deal for a guy like Mike Moustakas can fit into the overall master plan without causing any disruption whatsoever. It’s not a course reversal where prospects are being traded and future payroll flexibility is compromised with multiple bad contracts.
Moustakas has a had a WAR below 1 in 2 of the last 4 years; he is no better than Frazier (and Frazier's more consistent). And I'm not exactly a Frazier fan.
The reason most of these guys aren't signed is that they aren't that good and have salary expectations way out of line with their actual production. Moustakas is one of them.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 PM
WSI Personality

Manny Machado's career .329 OBP scares the living crap out of me. What also scares me if the Sox were to sign him is that most of his WAR value comes from his defense. I really don't think Machado is the wisest investment for anyone, if unless his price tag comes down from $350 MM to $225-250 MM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Whats the WAR=$$$? is it 5 million/1.0 WAR? Also anyone thinking Machado is gonna be a FA 3B you can almost bank on it that part of the negotiating process to convince him to sign will be a guarantee he plays SS. I can actually see him taking a deal worth less money to play SS

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.