White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

IF... the sox were going to get a free agent now, I think Hosmer would be the better get than Moose because:

1. He has more tools...he can actually run steal a base and take an extra base on the basepaths.

2. Allows us to fill DH hole with Abreu or trade Abreu for prime prospects.

3. Gives You a left handed throwing 1b which is a big defensive advantage of neutralizing sac bunts & turning 3-6-3 or 3-6-1 dp's.

4. Leaves 3b open for Machado (and probably makes the sox a little more desirable landing spot for Machado). I'm sure Machado will play wherever the the team that is willing to pony up the most dough wants him to.

5. He is younger and is most likely to be good at the end of his contract & still be able to be a plus defender in the field at the end of the contract at his original position.

6. Hosmer has been healthier throughout his career with 2 good acl's.

or....we can just wait until next year for free agents & have a better idea of what we need.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Umm no. Have you been following this offseason at all?
Probably as closely as anyone.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m not sure I’d buy big on Machado next offseason. Let’s see how Tim Anderson and Jake Burger continue to develop this year. I’m not claiming that either one of them will become as good as Machado.

This the part that irritates me to no end. We are 13 months into this rebuild and already people are desperate to wash out guys who haven't even been given the full look to succeed at this level. Burger just being drafted last July! My goodness.

Who's to say these guys can't surprise and be good enough to stick.

Look at the stupid Cubs. They had plenty OF help coming up the farm in Almora, Happ, and Eloy but they couldn't wait to bury themselves in $185 million with Heyward.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 AM
WSI High Priest

I am fine buying any FA that comes without the COMP price tag of draft picks.

I don't think Moustakas is that guy. That said, if we could get him on a 3 year/36 mil deal or something, I would buy. You can always flip him with that salary.

I just don't see anyone who really fits. Most the other big FA left are in their 30s, which make them a minimum of 32/33 by the time we are ready to be good.

I also wouldn't let having Tim Anderson stop me from signing Manny Machado. Saying you don't want the Lamborghini because you have a Chevy is fine, but if you have the money, and the goal is to win a race, then yes, sign the Lambo and worry about what to do with the Chevy after. Anderson may be a fine SS, but he will never, EVER, be Machado good.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This the part that irritates me to no end. We are 13 months into this rebuild and already people are desperate to wash out guys who haven't even been given the full look to succeed at this level. Burger just being drafted last July! My goodness.

Look at the stupid Cubs. They had plenty OF help coming up the farm in Almora, Happ, and Eloy but they couldn't wait to bury themselves in $185 million with Heyward.
I wouldn't want his money at all, but they might not win a title without Heyward.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
A free agent who received a qualifying offer would cost the Sox their second-round pick. The pick is at #44 right now, but it may slip from that spot when compensatory picks are awarded. The amounts that Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Greg Holland, and Alex Cobb land in free agency will determine how far the second-rounder slips. Any of those players who does not return to his original team AND receives $50 million or more in free agency will earn his original team a compensatory pick at the end of round one, which moves the #44 pick down the board. Those four players, plus Lance Lynn and Jake Arrieta, would be the only free agents who would require the forfeiture of a draft pick.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

All this talk about signing a Free Agent 3B. How has no one mentioned Josh Donaldson (for the record, I want Machado over him, but I think he's a nice fall back option).

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Moustakas is borass, ownership isnt going to deal with him.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
But that is not true at all. Hahn and Boras have a good relationship. It was Kenny who always whined and cried about him. They worked closely together to get Rodon signed in the draft.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
All this talk about signing a Free Agent 3B. How has no one mentioned Josh Donaldson (for the record, I want Machado over him, but I think he's a nice fall back option).
I like him a lot, but he will be 34 by the time we are competing.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17
That said, if we could get him on a 3 year/36 mil deal or something, I would buy. You can always flip him with that salary.

This is exactly what I meant. At a price tag of 3/$36 or 4/$50, it becomes a smart move strictly from an asset acquisition standpoint, regardless of whether or not the team plans to compete this year. In my mind, they already did the same thing with Welington Castillo. Add a one-year rental DH/OF to the mix (Carlos Gonzalez, Jose Bautista, maybe both) at a “buy low” price, and this would qualify as a pretty nice offseason in my book.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
None of the current FAs make sense for the Sox. Moustakas is 29 and would possibly get in the way of signing Machado, which is by all accounts Hahn's plan next offseason.
I was puzzled when I saw this because the anti-tampering rules prohibit teams and front office personnel from making any public statements or hints that they desire specific players when they become a free agent. But I took a look at the MLB Anti-tampering rules and found this:

Section 456(A)(2)(iii) Exempt from these rules are Rick Hahn and the entire White Sox organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
When KW was GM and Rick was the Assistant, Hahn was the person who worked out deals with Borass (Crede and others).

Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

If the opportunity presents itself to acquire a 25 yr old SS with 3 top 10 MVP finishes, your current SS with a .679 OPS becomes pretty expendable... Burger is a good prospect and is still in low A. So, the Sox should just wait 3 years to see if he will even make it to the majors? Then wait a few more years after to figure out MLB pitching? If Burger turns out to be good, the Sox can find a spot for him to play. Good problem to have.

Obviously not all the prospects are going to turn out as we hoped. So, when an opportunity presents itself to acquire a young proven player, that takes risk out of banking on all prospects. The Sox trying to sign Machado next offseason doesn't negatively effect the current rebuild path whatsoever, nothing desperate at all in adding superior players that will be around a while.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I was puzzled when I saw this because the anti-tampering rules prohibit teams and front office personnel from making any public statements or hints that they desire specific players when they become a free agent. But I took a look at the MLB Anti-tampering rules and found this:

Section 456(A)(2)(iii) Exempt from these rules are Rick Hahn and the entire White Sox organization.

I'm just reading between the lines. Most read the same as I did when he held trade talks with the O's for him then (whether serious or not) made comments about being in on top FAs next season. It's pretty clear that that is plan A, with obvious other fallback plans if he doesn't land him.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If the opportunity presents itself to acquire a 25 yr old SS with 3 top 10 MVP finishes.....
I don't disagree that the opportunity will be there, but it's the same opportunity for 29 other teams with probably 10 being a more desirable destination.

And the biggest factor we seem to be ignoring, MONEY.

We are taking a contract 4× more than what the Sox have ever spent for a free agent.