White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 04:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Default White Sox as last-minute “buyers” in February?

The Super Bowl is in the rear-view mirror, pitchers and catchers report one week from today, and several of the game’s most prominent free agents are still unemployed. Is there a possibility that the price of certain free agents goes so low that a rebuilding team like the White Sox can strike a team-friendly deal for a future asset? Even with the knowledge that the first year of a multi-year deal is likely to be wasted on a non-competitive team, I can see a situation develop where the overall price may become too good to pass up on some of these guys. Plus, the player can use that first year to acclimate to our park, our team, and the AL Central opposition, so it’s not really a “waste” from that perspective.

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM
WSI Guru

Very surprised if anything happened. Stay the course...let the kids develop...start to strike in free agency next year.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Very surprised if anything happened. Stay the course...let the kids develop...start to strike in free agency next year.
That’s my entire point, though. Getting a top-tier talent at a mid-tier price does absolutely nothing to alter the rebuild philosophy. The team only has $9.9 million in committed payroll for 2019 and $11.25 million for 2020. A 4-or-5-year deal for a guy like Mike Moustakas can fit into the overall master plan without causing any disruption whatsoever. It’s not a course reversal where prospects are being traded and future payroll flexibility is compromised with multiple bad contracts.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That’s my entire point, though. Getting a top-tier talent at a mid-tier price does absolutely nothing to alter the rebuild philosophy. The team only has $9.9 million in committed payroll for 2019 and $11.25 million for 2020. A 4-or-5-year deal for a guy like Mike Moustakas can fit into the overall master plan without causing any disruption whatsoever. It’s not a course reversal where prospects are being traded and future payroll flexibility is compromised with multiple bad contracts.
None of the current FAs make sense for the Sox. Moustakas is 29 and would possibly get in the way of signing Machado, which is by all accounts Hahn's plan next offseason.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Would the Sox lose a draft pick if they signed a FA?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
None of the current FAs make sense for the Sox. Moustakas is 29 and would possibly get in the way of signing Machado, which is by all accounts Hahn's plan next offseason.
Honestly, I don’t think they can land Machado. If that is the plan, I think we will all end up disappointed in the end.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Honestly, I don’t think they can land Machado. If that is the plan, I think we will all end up disappointed in the end.
But honestly...

:
"Where would he play?"

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It's still his plan, and getting Moustakas gets in the way of that. I think they can land him, but whether they will is the question.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
It's still his plan, and getting Moustakas gets in the way of that. I think they can land him, but whether they will is the question.
Everything I have heard about Machado’s impending free agency has said he wants to sign with a team that will play him at shortstop. Moustakas would play third base, and probably transition to first base or DH later in the contract. I don’t see how one would preclude the other, but I also think the whole Machado idea is pie-in-the-sky anyway
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
Would the Sox lose a draft pick if they signed a FA?
A free agent who received a qualifying offer would cost the Sox their second-round pick. The pick is at #44 right now, but it may slip from that spot when compensatory picks are awarded. The amounts that Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Greg Holland, and Alex Cobb land in free agency will determine how far the second-rounder slips. Any of those players who does not return to his original team AND receives $50 million or more in free agency will earn his original team a compensatory pick at the end of round one, which moves the #44 pick down the board. Those four players, plus Lance Lynn and Jake Arrieta, would be the only free agents who would require the forfeiture of a draft pick.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Everything I have heard about Machado’s impending free agency has said he wants to sign with a team that will play him at shortstop. Moustakas would play third base, and probably transition to first base or DH later in the contract. I don’t see how one would preclude the other, but I also think the whole Machado idea is pie-in-the-sky anyway
I'm just not too enamored with Moustakas and his .305 career OBP. You can probably find a rental 1b that can put up similar or better numbers when the time comes.

Hahn clearly wants Machado, and knows what kind of money it will take to get him. I don't see how it's any more of a pipe dream than say the Rangers or Phillies? It actually makes a lot of sense for Machado to be interested in joining a young up-and-coming team, SS or 3b for him to choose, latin manager, latin players to play with, W. Castillo is his buddy, Chicago is a great city, and the Sox have money to blow...

I think most people just assume because the Sox haven't spent a lot on one player that never will. If there ever was a time when it made sense to and they could afford to, it would be next offseason. Hahn wouldn't be talking the way he has for no reason, that's not how he operates.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
So fans desires is now all accounts Hahn's plan next off season?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

shhh, don't give it away. Sox fans all over twitter are still fixated with this notion that he's coming here and will play 3B.

A) He's not playing 3B
B) He's going to cost $250 + (Sox have never signed anyone for more than $70 million)
C) Tim Anderson still has a chance to be a good ML SS.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
So fans desires is now all accounts Hahn's plan next off season?
Umm no. Have you been following this offseason at all?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:12 AM
WSI Prelate

I’m not sure I’d buy big on Machado next offseason. Let’s see how Tim Anderson and Jake Burger continue to develop this year. I’m not claiming that either one of them will become as good as Machado. But if it looks like they could become consistent 3 WAR players, it might be worthwhile allocating $250M+ elsewhere, perhaps over several years on multiple players. Why? Because even if you think Machado will consistently put up 6.5 WAR every year, the marginal cost between your current (or projected) starter at SS (or 3B) only upgrades you by 3.5 WAR. You can probably upgrade your roster with more than 3.5 WAR elsewhere for less money.

The other thing that concerns me is the rumblings over a strike in 2021. One proposal floated to counteract teams’ decreasing willingness to give veteran players big contracts, is to reduce from 6-7, to 4, the number of years of team control of a player, which would allow players to reach free agency younger. If this happened, the Sox would find themselves having to shell out money a lot sooner than anticipated to keep their home-grown core. A massive contract for Machado might cause the budget-conscious Sox to let Moncada, Eloy, Kopech, Robert, and/or Hansen to leave, therefore closing the window of contention much sooner than would be the case under the current system.

All that said, if this week or next we can get a proven player on a one-year “prove it” contract, with the hopes of him playing well to rebuild his value and then flip him for a prospect at the deadline, then by all means go for it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.