GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I'm thinking Collins is now a trade chip for RF or SP, at least that is my hope.

I also see it in that McCann is slightly younger than Grandal and is a hedge down the road for regression from him aging. They are both a hedge for each other.

This is immediately the best catching tandem in the game.
I doubt they're looking to trade Collins, mostly because he doesn't have much trade value. He showed signs last year, if he continues to hit RHP well he could be the big LH power threat this team needs. If he doesn't make it, it's not a big loss at this point because the C position is covered.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Largest contract in White Sox history
Hopefully that distinction lasts for only a week or two!

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-21-2019, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
This is a nice two for one deal, since him and McCann can platoon, and have the other one DH. This was the appropriate time for the Sox to make a move. They sure worked quickly on this one.
I like the signing, and I like this idea. If I had to cite a negative, I'd say that I want to see them getting after the top items on their list of needs, starting and relief pitching. Hopefully they are going about those with similar quiet aggression.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I'm thinking Collins is now a trade chip for RF or SP, at least that is my hope.

I also see it in that McCann is slightly younger than Grandal and is a hedge down the road for regression from him aging. They are both a hedge for each other.

This is immediately the best catching tandem in the game.
Great move... now letís get the other holes filled. Still light on whoís toeing the rubber, so Iíd concentrate on picking up a hurler before positional player. Thatís what the farm system is for come spring training to compete for those outfield positions and around the diamond. Every team is going to have a black hole somewhere on the field and in the lineup. Iím just glad going into February those holes are few and can have the most attention paid to.

BK59
Old 11-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Good signing, really good player.

The price is a bit high, but Grandal had a reset the market year last season, so I was expecting a pretty big bump.

I guess the question is what happens to our other catchers?
Wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox carry 3 with one of them acting as DH/1B on a regular basis. Remember we get and extra bench slot this year also.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-21-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Catching rotation of all Miami Hurricanes?

Sounds good to me.
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I sure wouldnt want to be Collins waking up to this. He has to hope for a trade or hes buried.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Great move... now letís get the other holes filled. Still light on whoís toeing the rubber, so Iíd concentrate on picking up a hurler before positional player. Thatís what the farm system is for come spring training to compete for those outfield positions and around the diamond. Every team is going to have a black hole somewhere on the field and in the lineup. Iím just glad going into February those holes are few and can have the most attention paid to.

BK59
Definitely pitching should be the priority. I know some of us have PTSD, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to throw Engel back out in CF and have Robert in RF. Engel at the very least offers excellent defense, and he made some strides at the plate last year as well. But I don't think that's going to happen after Hahn noted RF as a big need. But I also don't think it will take away from the big SP signing that is coming.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

He's also Cuban...
Old 11-21-2019, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

Expensive.....but I am of the opinion that outside of a starting pitcher, he was the one FA that could have the most benefit to this team in more ways than one.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
Catching rotation of all Miami Hurricanes?

Sounds good to me.
Actually, looks like Grandal and Collins already have a strong relationship as mentor/mentee. This could have even stronger implications.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...e-sox-prospect
Old 11-21-2019, 01:12 PM
WSI Regular

This is one of the key guys I wanted. I love it. Plus the Sox moved fast.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 PM
WSI High Priest

I hope this is a sign to FA starters and position players that the sox are serious about being in the pennant race next year.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

This is an extremely astute signing.

I agree that Grandal, McCann, and Collins together can share C and DH duties, with Collins playing exclusively against RHP and McCann mostly against LHP.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Iím not sure I like this move given the year James McCann had for us in 2019. I wouldíve preferred to lock up McCann for 4 years and tutor Zach Collins for the eventual take over of full time Catching duties.

All that said I donít hate the signing either as Yasmani Grandalís track Record is one of a winner. Heís caught some great Pitching Staffs through the years and is a proven solid every day Catcher. His age is somewhat of a concern, how much longer he can go, but I said the same thing when we signed Fisk. 😀

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...randya01.shtml <<Grandal

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ccanja02.shtml << McCann

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"