GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I went to a game after they got Swisher. He was playing CF. I was in left-center seats. A ball was hit to him and he completely misjudged it. He did make the catch but it was far from routine (like it should have been). Watching that play plus giving up our number 1 prospect (Gio Gonzales ), put Kenny Williams on my **** list forever.
Swisher wasnít a center fielder. It was one of the situations where he became available and the thought was he could play a corner outfield position eventually, but Quentin emerged in LF and Dye wasnít quite done, so they were going to make it work in CF temporarily. I donít hold that against Swisher or the Sox. I remember one of the ESPN guys saying, ďI didnít even know Swisher was available!Ē after the trade. It just didnít work out, but it was a good gamble.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 PM
WSI Guru

My choice on this is resigning Buehrle after 2011. Never should have been with the Marlins, never should have gone to Toronto. Paulie could have retired in 2014 and Buehrle in 2015, both guys legends in the White Sox unis. Would not have changed any championship history, itís just a footnote, but it should have happened.

Iíd love to still have Rooney in the booth. Iím convinced finally he did want to go home to St Louis, but the Sox/Score nonsense didnít allow the Sox to even try to make an offer that was respectable. At least make the decision difficult.

I donít think the Thome/Rowand/Frank thing changes history. The pitching was gassed by August 2006.

Also- would have pinch run for Dynzinski.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Plenty of interesting and depressing examples in this thread, but let's face it. There is one correct answer here, and there's a good chance it will go down among the very worst trades in baseball history.

Last edited by TheVulture; 11-24-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
My choice on this is resigning Buehrle after 2011. Never should have been with the Marlins, never should have gone to Toronto. Paulie could have retired in 2014 and Buehrle in 2015, both guys legends in the White Sox unis. Would not have changed any championship history, itís just a footnote, but it should have happened.

Iíd love to still have Rooney in the booth. Iím convinced finally he did want to go home to St Louis, but the Sox/Score nonsense didnít allow the Sox to even try to make an offer that was respectable. At least make the decision difficult.

I donít think the Thome/Rowand/Frank thing changes history. The pitching was gassed by August 2006.

Also- would have pinch run for Dynzinski.
Yeah, the Buehrle situation is just brutal in hindsight. He gave the Sox a chance to match, and Reinsdorf basically told him on the spot to take Miamiís offer.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ozzie does not seem so bad today because he got a big serving of humble pie. Ozzie started caring more about the name on the back of the jersey than the front. Remember when he told everyone he paid his kid 50 grand to NOT play for the Sox because Kenny did not draft him early enough (and while good players in the grand scheme of things, none of his kids ever did much professionally).

Ozzie thought he was bigger than the game after the world series, and he got humbled. Now the game has passed him up for a while. I don't know if its always going to be analytical guys over hard nosed leaders, but that was never Ozzie. The other thing, if you remember, Ozzie was terrible with rookies for the most part. Not the guy you wanted running a rebuild. I will never forget him ruining Sean Tracey.
I always thought that Ozzie's career changed dramatically after 2009, when Kenny's kid got drafted in the sixth round. I think that was really the straw that broke the camel's back in Kenny and Ozzie's relationship. I thought Ozzie did a good job managing the team into the playoffs in '08 and in 2010, but he just quit in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, the Buehrle situation is just brutal in hindsight. He gave the Sox a chance to match, and Reinsdorf basically told him on the spot to take Miamiís offer.
I always figured the Sox went into the 2011 off-season prepared to rebuild, which is why they didn't really add any pieces and they brought in Ventura to essentially be a placeholder to placate the fans. Then they were surprised when they were contending in 2012, which is when they probably really missed Buehrle because by September it was clear that Sale and Quintana were just out of gas.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great thread. If anyone mentioned Peavey, I missed it. Not sure that would be my pick, and no one could've foreseen his injury, but it sure killed team momentum during a critical championship window. Though the DeBartolo episode wasn't a trade, that was a real game changer, as was the World War I theory, which I'd never heard before.

Not that this was terribly consequential, but I'm going with Ron Santo. He wrecked team chemistry during a rare 70s window, according to the Dick Allen bio "Crash." But mostly I hated seeing that phony in a Sox uniform, red or otherwise.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

I second Bonilla. IMO, could have had substantial impact on this franchise in those late 80s and early 90s years.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-21-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I second Bonilla. IMO, could have had substantial impact on this franchise in those late 80s and early 90s years.
But there are so many little moves like this. With any alternate history -- and this is what science fiction writers and lesser "alternate historians" explore in their writings, you don't know where that change will take you. If you don't stupidly trade Bonilla after brilliantly picking him up, do the Cubs (with the pick right after the White Sox in our reality) draft Frank Thomas ahead of the White Sox in 1989? If the Sox don't let Denny McClain go to the Tigers on waivers in 1963, do they they trade for Tommy John in 1965 and trade him for Dick Allen before the 1972 season? If Lillian Cross hadn't bumped Guiseppe Zangara with her purse in a crowd in Miami in 1933, does FDR take the bullet instead of Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak leading, resulting in the Nazis replacing Chicago baseball with Chicago soccer in the 1940s?

If find the White Sox intentionally losing as distressing as any move the White Sox have ever made. Better, more creative general managers could have done better that to trade for Shields and then simply give up and build from scratch. But it is what it is. The White Sox might end up with some fun players who take them into contention, but last year would have been more fun if it were the White Sox winning the World Series in 2019. Where you are is always the result of where you've been.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Signing Adam Dunn. Worst signing ever. Was on pace to have the worst season in MLB history until they benched him.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If Lillian Cross hadn't bumped Guiseppe Zangara with her purse in a crowd in Miami in 1933, does FDR take the bullet instead of Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak leading, resulting in the Nazis replacing Chicago baseball with Chicago soccer in the 1940s?
What?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
What?
It was actually very witty.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Also, the MLB channel analysts talked at length about Tatis jr and said that it was clear he had talent before he was dealt by the Sox.
The other point is Shields pitched poorly before the trade was even made. It was obvious he was no longer the pitcher he once was.

Additionally you don't trade a lottery ticket for a barely replacement level pitcher that the other team is desperate to unload. That's what AAAA players are for.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Additionally you don't trade a lottery ticket for a barely replacement level pitcher that the other team is desperate to unload. That's what AAAA players are for.
they shouldn't have traded anybody for Shields. Totally pointless acquisition.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
It was actually very witty.
I agree...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Bobby Bonilla.

Shoulda kept him.