Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Many teams manage their young players like this. It’s fine.
If I saw specific examples of nearly-identical situations, I probably would draw the same conclusions.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I would rather see Collins get a live look at one of the division’s elite pitchers this year, when wins and losses shouldn’t matter.
No worries there’s 3 months left in the season.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
No worries there’s 3 months left in the season.
No guarantee you will see Boyd again.

Rondon sucks. Renteria sucks for playing him.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
No guarantee you will see Boyd again.

Rondon sucks. Renteria sucks for playing him.
Man- Mendick must really not have any shot if he can't earn a call up with TA out and Rondon hitting .188
Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Man- Mendick must really not have any shot if he can't earn a call up with TA out and Rondon hitting .188
I thought the same thing.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

95% I'm pretty deeply patient and tend to not get too bothered either way by day to day lineup decisions, but I do get some of the angst here. It is rather frustrating watching players who suck getting thrown out there every day punching a hole in a team that might not be too bad otherwise, particularly when there are other players available who might not suck. Even if the chance of someone like Mendick doing anything isn't super high, I'm more certain that the odds Rondon and Palka suddenly turn into productive big leaguers are at this point lower.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

If Collins is the DH and McCann has to leave the game, we lose our DH spot. That happened a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, Castillo got the heave-ho and McCann had been our DH that day.

In '07 I was at a game against the Twins where Mauer was DH and Redmond was Catching. In the First Inning a swing by Thome caught the back of Redmond's head and he had to leave the game for stiches. The Twins lost the DH for the entire game because Mauer had to catch.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
95% I'm pretty deeply patient and tend to not get too bothered either way by day to day lineup decisions, but I do get some of the angst here. It is rather frustrating watching players who suck getting thrown out there every day punching a hole in a team that might not be too bad otherwise, particularly when there are other players available who might not suck. Even if the chance of someone like Mendick doing anything isn't super high, I'm more certain that the odds Rondon and Palka suddenly turn into productive big leaguers are at this point lower.
If both of those guys are here til September without producing I owe you a lemon cookie. Actually Rondon has produced just fine afield with several sparklers at 3B for Yoan.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I don't see any need for Palka to be on the roster- we have 2 other LH hitting outfielders ahead of him in Jay and Tilson, and I'd rather see Collins get the ABs at DH vs. RHP. Bring up Mercedes and solve two problems- a better DH option than Rondon vs. LHP and you have an emergency catcher available to avoid losing the DH on days when both McCann and Collins are in the line up.

It's not perfect- but he's a year younger than Palka, so in a rebuild year- see what he can do as an option for 2020- when you may have the same issue of needing that 3rd "emergency" catcher in the mix.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Jay is off to a nice start, but they need to trade him. Tilson and Cordell just can't hit. Rondon can't either, but he can also play IF and OF. All 3 of those guys is a little much. One thing I like about all 3 is that they aren't the worst walkers in the world, despite having no power.
Palka should get a couple of more weeks, but a peek at Mercedes would be interesting. Mendick too.

I'd like to seem more churn with Charlotte for the back half of the bullpen as well.

Last edited by Tragg; 07-03-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If I saw specific examples of nearly-identical situations, I probably would draw the same conclusions.
Alex Verdugo came immediately to mind. I'll find some others.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-03-2019, 12:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If he’s not ready for the rigors of major league baseball, then he should still be in the minors. The last thing he should be doing is sitting on the bench to play a platoon advantage with Jose Rondon.

I’m bent out of shape because it’s just stupid as all hell.
Collins is here for the long haul. Nothing wrong with letting him wade in.
Rondon, Tilson, Cordell and Palka need to be vetted because there won't be roster spots for them for long if they aren't keepers; and the only way to do that is top play them.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If Collins is the DH and McCann has to leave the game, we lose our DH spot. That happened a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, Castillo got the heave-ho and McCann had been our DH that day.

In '07 I was at a game against the Twins where Mauer was DH and Redmond was Catching. In the First Inning a swing by Thome caught the back of Redmond's head and he had to leave the game for stiches. The Twins lost the DH for the entire game because Mauer had to catch.
So twice in the last 12 years it’s been an issue and once was because an idiot couldn’t shut up. I don’t think this should be a huge part of the consideration. Statistically baseball players just don’t get it njured that often in game.

That doesn’t change my thinking that they shouldn’t force Collins into uncomfortable situations this early in his call up, but injury risk seems minimal and the team can cope if it happened. Pitchers are already hitting regularly throughout the season anyway.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Jay is off to a nice start, but they need to trade him. Tilson and Cordell just can't hit. Rondon can't either, but he can also play IF and OF. All 3 of those guys is a little much. One thing I like about all 3 is that they aren't the worst walkers in the world, despite having no power.
Palka should get a couple of more weeks, but a peek at Mercedes would be interesting. Mendick too.

I'd like to seem more churn with Charlotte for the back half of the bullpen as well.
As Josh Nelson of SoxMachine pointed out on Twitter, there’s a lot of chaff on the 40-man roster that probably doesn’t figure to be here in 2020. I’d like to see a lot of it gone, too. I would like to think the Sox are in evaluation mode for a lot of these players, as there are numerous others (drafted out of college in 2016 or from high school in 2015) who will need to be added to the 40-man roster or else be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. That may explain why Rondón is getting at bats while Collins is not, for instance. Anyway, here is the list of who likely can be purged:

Jay (FA)
Cordell
Tilson
Engel
Rondon
Castillo (FA)
Jones
Detwiler
Cordero
Nova (FA)
Banuelos
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
As Josh Nelson of SoxMachine pointed out on Twitter, there’s a lot of chaff on the 40-man roster that probably doesn’t figure to be here in 2020. I’d like to see a lot of it gone, too. I would like to think the Sox are in evaluation mode for a lot of these players, as there are numerous others (drafted out of college in 2016 or from high school in 2015) who will need to be added to the 40-man roster or else be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. That may explain why Rondón is getting at bats while Collins is not, for instance. Anyway, here is the list of who likely can be purged:

Jay (FA)
Cordell
Tilson
Engel
Rondon
Castillo (FA)
Jones
Detwiler
Cordero
Nova (FA)
Banuelos
On that list, I would keep Engel. Medeiros should be on this list as well, although is showing some signs of improvement. Maybe Banuelos. Not sure how many spots they are going to need, but probably a lot.
Cordero is one of the guys I want them to bring up soon! He was horrible with the Nats AAA team, but he's been lights out in Charlotte.
Closed Thread