White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-29-2019, 08:53 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,346
Default

Can Daniel Palka hit .040?
  #47  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,464
Default

How the **** can Rick conscienably keep Collins on the bench and use Rondon at DH? Such a ****ing joke. Hell, I'd rather watch Palka than Rondon at DH and you don't waste your only backup IF.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
  #48  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 16,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
How the **** can Rick conscienably keep Collins on the bench and use Rondon at DH? Such a ****ing joke. Hell, I'd rather watch Palka than Rondon at DH and you don't waste your only backup IF.
I'd imagine Collins is being kept fresh to start at catcher tomorrow. Didn't he catch Cease majority of the year? Still I agree with your frustration. Put his bat in the lineup at least. Give him as many at-bats as you can.
__________________
  #49  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
How the **** can Rick conscienably keep Collins on the bench and use Rondon at DH? Such a ****ing joke. Hell, I'd rather watch Palka than Rondon at DH and you don't waste your only backup IF.
Itís looking more and more like a repeat of Ozzieís extreme aversion to giving young players playing time when there is a veteran alternative.

I get it when people say that Rick Renteria canít make chicken salad out of chicken ****. However, I can only sympathize with that to a point, because the day-to-day decision-making is downright stupid. Jose Rondon at DH. Jon Jayís wet spaghetti bat hitting 5th. Downright stupid.

Young and bad should be getting playing time over old and bad, and if this is a case of Renteria prioritizing wins and losses over development in an effort to save his job, then that needs to be nipped in the bud by removing him from the job altogether.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #50  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:07 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
How the **** can Rick conscienably keep Collins on the bench and use Rondon at DH? Such a ****ing joke. Hell, I'd rather watch Palka than Rondon at DH and you don't waste your only backup IF.
Collins hit .175 vs LHP in AAA- he's not going to start vs. Boyd.

Palka hit .175 vs. LHP at AAA.

Personally- I'd rather see Mercedes on the roster than Palka while Anderson is out- he could DH vs. LHP, and be an emergency catcher when Collins DH's vs. RHP (and McCann is behind the plate,etc.). He is absolutely raking at AA/AAA this year- hitting ~.450 vs. LHP combined, and he's only 26 yo.

You can't carry 13 pitchers and a AAAA/platoon DH (vs. RHP) guy like Palka without really limiting your options.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When youíre going good, youíre not that ****ing good,but when youíre going bad, youíre not that bad. Thatís ****ing Satchel Paige there and thatís wisdom.Ē - Don Cooper, April-2019
  #51  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Collins hit .175 vs LHP in AAA- he's not going to start vs. Boyd.

Palka hit .175 vs. LHP at AAA.

Personally- I'd rather see Mercedes on the roster than Palka while Anderson is out- he could DH vs. LHP, and be an emergency catcher when Collins DH's vs. RHP (and McCann is behind the plate,etc.)

You can't carry 13 pitchers and a AAAA/platoon DH (vs. RHP) guy like Palka without really limiting your options.
Zack Collins is going to have to hit tough lefties at some point, and Jose Rondon probably wonít even be here next year. We should be managing for tomorrow, not managing for today.
  #52  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Collins hit .175 vs LHP in AAA- he's not going to start vs. Boyd.

Palka hit .175 vs. LHP at AAA.

Personally- I'd rather see Mercedes on the roster than Palka while Anderson is out- he could DH vs. LHP, and be an emergency catcher when Collins DH's vs. RHP (and McCann is behind the plate,etc.). He is absolutely raking at AA/AAA this year- hitting ~.450 vs. LHP combined, and he's only 26 yo.

You can't carry 13 pitchers and a AAAA/platoon DH (vs. RHP) guy like Palka without really limiting your options.
It's not just against lefties. Kids need ABs and Collins needs to test his mettle against lefties if heís ever going to be more than a platoon guy. Rick is costing development time by giving **** trash journeymen ABs when all sense says they should be defensive replacements at best.

Give your DH ABs to a DH and keep sixth IFers for emergencies.
  #53  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Zack Collins is going to have to hit tough lefties at some point, and Jose Rondon probably wonít even be here next year. We should be managing for tomorrow, not managing for today.
Yep- but not sure you put him in that position only a few weeks in when he's been struggling vs. RHP. Going a little slow to nurture a rookie's development is still managing for tomorrow.
  #54  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,783
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Zack Collins is going to have to hit tough lefties at some point, and Jose Rondon probably wonít even be here next year. We should be managing for tomorrow, not managing for today.
Which includes letting young players in the first month of their major league service get comfortable and putting them in situations they are most likely to succeed and allow them time to grow before they start to work on becoming successful at things they have struggled with.

Thereís plenty of time to let Collins learn how to face tough LHP in the months and years to come. He doesnít have to be thrown to the wolves today.

Honestly I have no idea why you are bent out of shape on this issue.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #55  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,783
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Yep- but not sure you put him in that position only a few weeks in when he's been struggling vs. RHP. Going a little slow to nurture a rookie's development is still managing for tomorrow.
Thank you...
  #56  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Thank you...
Hey.....aren't you on your honeymoon?
  #57  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Which includes letting young players in the first month of their major league service get comfortable and putting them in situations they are most likely to succeed and allow them time to grow before they start to work on becoming successful at things they have struggled with.

Thereís plenty of time to let Collins learn how to face tough LHP in the months and years to come. He doesnít have to be thrown to the wolves today.

Honestly I have no idea why you are bent out of shape on this issue.
Put the new guy in a position to succeed, got it. Otherwise you'll rightly get dumped on for putting him in a position to fail when he gets his next demotion. ****, you might get dumped on anyway, just because.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
  #58  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:28 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Which includes letting young players in the first month of their major league service get comfortable and putting them in situations they are most likely to succeed and allow them time to grow before they start to work on becoming successful at things they have struggled with.

Thereís plenty of time to let Collins learn how to face tough LHP in the months and years to come. He doesnít have to be thrown to the wolves today.

Honestly I have no idea why you are bent out of shape on this issue.
If heís not ready for the rigors of major league baseball, then he should still be in the minors. The last thing he should be doing is sitting on the bench to play a platoon advantage with Jose Rondon.

Iím bent out of shape because itís just stupid as all hell.
  #59  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Yep- but not sure you put him in that position only a few weeks in when he's been struggling vs. RHP. Going a little slow to nurture a rookie's development is still managing for tomorrow.
I would rather see Collins get a live look at one of the divisionís elite pitchers this year, when wins and losses shouldnít matter.
  #60  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:47 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
If heís not ready for the rigors of major league baseball, then he should still be in the minors. The last thing he should be doing is sitting on the bench to play a platoon advantage with Jose Rondon.

Iím bent out of shape because itís just stupid as all hell.
Many teams manage their young players like this. Itís fine.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.