Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I thought Collins would handle that backup 1B spot as a way to get him more playing time.

Basically, they replaced Alonso, who was taking playing time away from Collins, with Palka...who will be taking playing time away from Collins. How is he supposed to get into any kind of groove offensively when he is sitting every second or third day?
He can DH when Collins is catching and they want a heavy LH presence in the lineup. Or he can play RF and Eloy can DH and Tilson can play LF or any of other number of ways Palka can be used to give someone an occasional day off when they need one. The Sox don't generally use their BU catcher as DH though they have more recently. Collins isn't going to play every day no matter what.

You guys are freaking out over nothing. I mean it is simply ridiculous the amount of angst this is generating. At the very least can we wait and see how it goes. Palka earned the right to be given another crack.

I swear, it's like "OMG THE SOX AREN'T DOING EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I SAY THEY SHOULD BE! WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THEM?!?!?!?"

and Palka hasn't even taken a single AB yet...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM
WSI Prelate

As someone with tickets tonight, I could not be any less excited to see freaking Ross Detwiler pitch.

The possibility of that plus no Anderson and maybe no Moncada, if Eloy gets a day off I may just leave after the patio party lol
Old 06-28-2019, 04:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I thought Collins would handle that backup 1B spot as a way to get him more playing time.

Basically, they replaced Alonso, who was taking playing time away from Collins, with Palka...who will be taking playing time away from Collins. How is he supposed to get into any kind of groove offensively when he is sitting every second or third day?
Did you expect them to only have 3 players on their roster (McCann, Collins, and Abreu) to cover catcher, 1B, and DH? Collins will get ABs at all three positions even with Palka in the fold.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:14 PM
WSI Prelate

If Collins is up he needs to be playing 5+ times per week, but unless he stops striking out every other freaking at bat, he won't be up for much longer anyway.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
So this must mean Moncada is ok to go? Otherwise they’re still quite thin on infielders.
Let's hope. Otherwise if either Leury or Rondon gets injured, who would fill in?
Old 06-28-2019, 04:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Leury Garcia (S) SS
Jon Jay (L) RF
Jose Abreu (R) 1B
James McCann (R) C
Daniel Palka (L) DH
Eloy Jimenez (R) LF
Yolmer Sanchez (S) 2B
Charlie Tilson (L) CF
Jose Rondon (R) 3B

Going to be a rough one tonight. And protecting Eloy by putting him between Palka and Sanchez... pretty pathetic.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
So this must mean Moncada is ok to go? Otherwise they’re still quite thin on infielders.
Either that, or it’s a whole lotta Rondón headed our way...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Did you expect them to only have 3 players on their roster (McCann, Collins, and Abreu) to cover catcher, 1B, and DH? Collins will get ABs at all three positions even with Palka in the fold.
One of the other OF can DH. We have extra OF on the roster.

What would really help is ditching either Ruiz or Minaya and going with another bench player, but I guess that’s just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
And sure enough, Palka at DH hitting 5th, and Collins benched. It took Renteria exactly zero days to make the wrong decision.

Last edited by Mohoney; 06-28-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He can DH when Collins is catching and they want a heavy LH presence in the lineup. Or he can play RF and Eloy can DH and Tilson can play LF or any of other number of ways Palka can be used to give someone an occasional day off when they need one. The Sox don't generally use their BU catcher as DH though they have more recently. Collins isn't going to play every day no matter what.

You guys are freaking out over nothing. I mean it is simply ridiculous the amount of angst this is generating. At the very least can we wait and see how it goes. Palka earned the right to be given another crack.

I swear, it's like "OMG THE SOX AREN'T DOING EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I SAY THEY SHOULD BE! WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THEM?!?!?!?"

and Palka hasn't even taken a single AB yet...

Is there another way of looking at it?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 06-28-2019, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And sure enough, Palka at DH hitting 6th, and Collins benched. It took Renteria exactly zero days to make the wrong decision.
This is truly mind-boggling. I'm usually pretty levelheaded/don't freak out about much on a day to day basis but if there's a universe where Palka should be starting over Collins on any kind of regular basis, this ain't ****ing it.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Is there another way of looking at it?
Typically I'd agree, but it seems now that those fears have been justified. If Palka was at all worthy of getting at bats over Collins, why was he just called up today? Could've called up Zavala again if they needed a backup catcher, and it's not like Collins really seemed like a finished product at AAA.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
This is truly mind-boggling. I'm usually pretty levelheaded/don't freak out about much on a day to day basis but if there's a universe where Palka should be starting over Collins on any kind of regular basis, this ain't ****ing it.
Don’t freak out over it, though!
Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

It's one game.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
It's one game.
It’s the first game. As soon as it became an option to play “someone with major league experience” and relegate a recent call-up to the bench, Renteria jumped all over it. He was stupidly giving the majority of starts to Yonder Alonso, and now he will stupidly give the majority of starts to Daniel Palka.

Renteria is not even someone who the team can win a championship in spite of anymore. He is just flat-out magnetically attracted to the wrong decision when choices like these need to be made.
Closed Thread