Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Not compared to the 505-footer Mazara hit off Lopez. Good call on the jet stream to right.
Itís just one of those quirks of a stadium where Iíve attended many games. Sometimes a blind squirrel can find a nut when the stopped clock is right twice a day. 😜
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM
WSI Prelate

I donít see an easy way for the Sox to get the pitching they need to get much above .500, but I do think there is a possible pathway to a ďSouth Side Hit Men Part DeuxĒ where they give us a very entertaining summer when they are hitting. It goes like this:

Dump: Alonso, Castillo (once heís recovered from his injury)
Demote to Charlotte: Cordell, Tilson, Rondon (may have to clear waivers)
Promote to Chicago: Alcides Escobar (.800 OPS in AAA presently), Palka, Jay, and Zavala

Hereís your lineups:

vs. RHP
CF Jay
3B Moncada
LF Eloy*
1B/DH Abreu
RF Palka*
DH/C McCann
DH/1B/C Collins
SS Anderson
2B Escobar

* Leury enters CF as late game defensive replacement, with Jay moving to LF or RF

vs. LHP
CF Leury (.915 OPS v LHP presently)
3B Moncada
LF Eloy
1B Abreu
DH McCann
SS Anderson
2B Escobar
C Zavala
RF Jay

The outfield defense against RHP is atrocious, but thereís a massive amount of power in that lineup.

In games started by LH pitchers, both Palka and Collins provide huge power off the bench.

Yolmer moves to the utility role and can start 1-2 times a week in place of Escobar.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don’t see an easy way for the Sox to get the pitching they need to get much above .500, but I do think there is a possible pathway to a “South Side Hit Men Part Deux” where they give us a very entertaining summer when they are hitting. It goes like this:

Dump: Alonso, Castillo (once he’s recovered from his injury)
Demote to Charlotte: Cordell, Tilson, Rondon (may have to clear waivers)
Promote to Chicago: Alcides Escobar (.800 OPS in AAA presently), Palka, Jay, and Zavala

Here’s your lineups:

vs. RHP
CF Jay
3B Moncada
LF Eloy*
1B/DH Abreu
RF Palka*
DH/C McCann
DH/1B/C Collins
SS Anderson
2B Escobar

* Leury enters CF as late game defensive replacement, with Jay moving to LF or RF

vs. LHP
CF Leury (.915 OPS v LHP presently)
3B Moncada
LF Eloy
1B Abreu
DH McCann
SS Anderson
2B Escobar
C Zavala
RF Jay

The outfield defense against RHP is atrocious, but there’s a massive amount of power in that lineup.

In games started by LH pitchers, both Palka and Collins provide huge power off the bench.

Yolmer moves to the utility role and can start 1-2 times a week in place of Escobar.
I'm sorry, you're wrong about Escobar. He's a career .636 OPS over 5000+ AB in MLB. Sanchez is already giving us that and his defense has been spectacular.

We also don't need Zevala on the team. Let Zack play 1B and DH when he's not catching. If we lose the DH due to some random fluke injury to McCann for a single game. Life will go on. Zevala won't get enough AB at the MLB level to make it worthwhile to promote him. I do like the idea of bringing up Palka and Jay and cutting/trading/DFA Castillo and Yonder.

If Rondon gets sent down then give Mendick a try. This shouldn't all be about this year anyway and keep one of Tilson/Cordell - probably Cordell because he hit's RH and with Collins and Palka you've got plenty of LH power off the bench.

In short:

Cut Castillo and Yonder
Bring up Palka, Jay

The rest isn't that big a deal, but Mendick for Rondon would be okay with me and they can mess with the OF if they want, but there's room for the Tilson and Cordell if they want it due to Collins flexibility.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 06-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'm sorry, you're wrong about Escobar. He's a career .636 OPS over 5000+ AB in MLB. Sanchez is already giving us that and his defense has been spectacular.

We also don't need Zevala on the team. Let Zack play 1B and DH when he's not catching. If we lose the DH due to some random fluke injury to McCann for a single game. Life will go on. Zevala won't get enough AB at the MLB level to make it worthwhile to promote him. I do like the idea of bringing up Palka and Jay and cutting/trading/DFA Castillo and Yonder.

If Rondon gets sent down then give Mendick a try. This shouldn't all be about this year anyway and keep one of Tilson/Cordell - probably Cordell because he hit's RH and with Collins and Palka you've got plenty of LH power off the bench.

In short:

Cut Castillo and Yonder
Bring up Palka, Jay

The rest isn't that big a deal, but Mendick for Rondon would be okay with me and they can mess with the OF if they want, but there's room for the Tilson and Cordell if they want it due to Collins flexibility.
Weíre going to have to agree to disagree on Zavala. I think itís way too early to write him off. I donít think heís a full-time starter, but heís sufficiently strong defensively and can hit for power against left-handed pitching, to where he is likely to carve out a nice MLB career as a backup/platoon catcher. I think thereís value to the team in that role, and value to him as a catcher to spend time learning from McCann. Put another way, as much as I like Collins, against LHP Iíd rather have Zavala catching and hitting.

I neglected to point out that part of my motivation was to give some of these players who might have a small amount of trade value, an opportunity to build - if ever so slightly - that trade value for the next five weeks. Maybe Jay and/or Escobar - both of whom have won World Series - perform well and can get packaged with Colome for a nice pitching prospect. At worst you lose Rondon to a waiver claim, but if so, and if you do trade Escobar on July 31, you still have Mendick.

Yolmer is playing well, but at this point we know what he is: a good utility infielder who can start for extended stretches, but over a full season of starting will be exposed. Escobar is probably about the same, but again, heís played a lot more shortstop over his career and heís won a World Series. If a contender loses their shortstop to injury and doesnít have a ready replacement, who would they consider trading for: Yolmer, or Escobar? Might as well showcase Escobar, then.

Bottom line: Give the fans some fun, and showcase Escobar and Jay for a bit in the event that you can slightly increase their trade value to a desperate contender.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Bottom line: Give the fans some fun, and showcase Escobar and Jay for a bit in the event that you can slightly increase their trade value to a desperate contender.
There is nothing to showcase with Escobar. He has 5300 major league at bats that show he can't hit a lick. And Jay - okay he's better in comparison, but hasn't been good in a long while and even if he slapped it well for a month, he wouldn't yield much. The Sox would be much better off using those spots developing their own players instead of guys who are hopelessly past their prime.
The Sox have their 2 guys to trade: Colome and Abreu.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There is nothing to showcase with Escobar. He has 5300 major league at bats that show he can't hit a lick. And Jay - okay he's better in comparison, but hasn't been good in a long while and even if he slapped it well for a month, he wouldn't yield much. The Sox would be much better off using those spots developing their own players instead of guys who are hopelessly past their prime.
The Sox have their 2 guys to trade: Colome and Abreu.
I donít necessarily disagree with really anything you say.

If you are absolutely committed to using 2019 as evaluation and development of young players/prospects, then logically you have to sell McCann along with Abreu and Colome, no? Iím not criticizing; just seeing how far you want to take this. And I guess that means Yolmer and Leury also ought to be on the block, right?

So if selling off all the veterans to maximize possible return for the future is your goal, then shouldnít we try - before July 31 - to maximize whatever marginal value - however small - Escobar and Jay have as well?

So letís say we deal Colome, Abreu, McCann, Jay, Escobar, Yolmer, and Leury...

Again, not criticizing, just taking us through a thought exercise. If you trade all those veterans, hereís your position player portion of the roster:

Infield: Moncada, Anderson, Mendick, Rondon
Catcher: Collins, Zavala
Outfield: Eloy, Cordell, Tilson, Palka

Would you have Palka and Collins play at first base? Or do you bring up Matt Skole? Or maybe even Yermin Mercedes, who seems to have a good bat but is challenged as a receiver behind the plate?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
If you are absolutely committed to using 2019 as evaluation and development of young players/prospects, then logically you have to sell McCann along with Abreu and Colome, no?
No. McCann is 29 (younger than Abreu and Colome) and has low mileage for a catcher. You extend McCann, assuming the price is somewhere between the value of 2019 McCann and pre-2019 McCann. You deal Castillo for whatever you can get, creating playing time for Collins/Zavala.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Personally, I'd leave Zavala alone in AAA for now. His OBP this year is .277. He's simply not reaching base enough for his .500 SLG to translate well to the major league level. He might get there as he's hit for solid average and walked well at lower levels, but he's only played about 85 games at AAA and he's only 25. Let him adapt to the better pitching and see if he can become a guy they can rely on in the future. No need to rush him. McCann and Collins can hold down the catching duties if they trade/dump Castillo. Zavala looked severely overmatched in the one game he played earlier this year. No need to rush him. Leave him alone and maybe he turns into a reliable piece in the future.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Personally, I'd leave Zavala alone in AAA for now. His OBP this year is .277. He's simply not reaching base enough for his .500 SLG to translate well to the major league level. He might get there as he's hit for solid average and walked well at lower levels, but he's only played about 85 games at AAA and he's only 25. Let him adapt to the better pitching and see if he can become a guy they can rely on in the future. No need to rush him. McCann and Collins can hold down the catching duties if they trade/dump Castillo. Zavala looked severely overmatched in the one game he played earlier this year. No need to rush him. Leave him alone and maybe he turns into a reliable piece in the future.
When Castillo is healthy I think Alonso needs to go- then Castillo provides some insurance since either McCann or Collins will be DHing most days when the other one is catching, and to also give McCann a breather, Collins would then also be spelling Abreu at 1st base- and I agree Zavala needs more time at AAA.

As a veteran catcher- if a contender gets hit with an injury. Castillo may have some minimal value for a trade deadline move. .286 BA, ~.830 OPS over his last 7 games
Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
When Castillo is healthy I think Alonso needs to go- then Castillo provides some insurance since either McCann or Collins will be DHing most days when the other one is catching, and to also give McCann a breather, Collins would then also be spelling Abreu at 1st base- and I agree Zavala needs more time at AAA.

As a veteran catcher- if a contender gets hit with an injury. Castillo may have some minimal value for a trade deadline move. .286 BA, ~.830 OPS over his last 7 games
Sure take a bag of balls for Castillo no problem, but I'd like to see Palka back up to see if he can carry over his improved OBP to the bigs. Couple other guys might deserve a look also. Goins for back up IF the rest of the way? Mendick?
Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Charlotte's OPS is .825 as a team right now, thanks to the juiced ball and the small ballpark. There are so many bad journeyman hitters having good years at Charlotte that it's tough to give Palka any credit for his .941 OPS.

Skole: also .941
Goins: 915
Orlando: .876
--- Charlotte average .825 ---
Engel: .816
Escobar .805

Barring injuries, Escobar does not warrant a callup. Neither does Mendick (.801) or Jay (.778) or Zavala (.777). And I would argue, neither do Palka/Skole/Goins/Orlando.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Charlotte's OPS is .825 as a team right now, thanks to the juiced ball and the small ballpark. There are so many bad journeyman hitters having good years at Charlotte that it's tough to give Palka any credit for his .941 OPS.

Skole: also .941
Goins: 915
Orlando: .876
--- Charlotte average .825 ---
Engel: .816
Escobar .805

Barring injuries, Escobar does not warrant a callup. Neither does Mendick (.801) or Jay (.778) or Zavala (.777). And I would argue, neither do Palka/Skole/Goins/Orlando.
To be picky, Palka is also posting a .378 OBP with 35 walks in ~250 PA. That's why I think he deserves another look. His power is going to be there, but what he has improved is his OBP. I still think that's why he struggled early in the season. He was working on being pickier and got caught in between when the season opened. Everyone agrees that if he can just walk more he's a viable offensive option in today's game because of his power numbers. Well he is. A LOT more. Time to find out if that translates.

Skole likewise is at .376 OBP with 42 BB in ~260 PA Goins is over .400 (30 BB) and Mendick is at .367 (36 BB).

OPS is a nice stat but it doesn't tell the whole story.

On the other hand Zavala (.277) and Engel (.316) are both doing it with extreme SLG numbers not supported by their OBP and unlikely to scale up to MLB so I agree it's important to be skeptical of their OPS numbers.

Edit: Also think it's important not to dismiss guys who are posting OPS 10-15% higher than the team average. That's a BIG jump.

Last edited by voodoochile; 06-23-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

This is another lost season, Palka was the Sox Mvp last year, give the guy another shot. Tilson and Cordell have both showed very little, give Palka the appreciation for last year. It would be different if players that have the possibility of being a future piece were blocking him.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This is another lost season, Palka was the Sox Mvp last year, give the guy another shot. Tilson and Cordell have both showed very little, give Palka the appreciation for last year. It would be different if players that have the possibility of being a future piece were blocking him.
I have a season home run total wager on Palka at under 24.5. Let's let him sit in AAA a little longer, please!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I have a season home run total wager on Palka at under 24.5. Let's let him sit in AAA a little longer, please!
Where did you get that?
Closed Thread