Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 11:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Love the signing, it's a good price. I hope his success translates to the AL.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCitySoxFan View Post
I can't believe anyone can actually criticize this deal.
1. McCann is set for a regression back to who he is, but he will be an adequate back-up catcher. They can also deal him.
2. We hear repetitive claims about the Sox being cheap, but when they spend money on one of the best catchers in baseball, they still complain.
3. Grandal already said he would take Collins under his wing and help him. He'll be a great mentor.
4. IN addition, he's already asked for film on the Sox pitchers. He'll make those young guys better.

I don't agree with some that said he'll rotate with Collins and McCann at the C and DH spot. IN some mock lineups I have seen, McCann is the DH in the 8 spot. We need more productivity out of the DH spot than that. Plus, you signed the one of the best catchers in baseball. You're going to have him catch 120+ games.

I know they need to sign a RF and some pitching, but they also need another hitter for the DH spot. A revolving door of Collins and McCann won't do it.
Yes Grandal is the best defensive catcher on the team so one could argue that if he's in the lineup he should be behind the plate, but at the same time you don't want to wear him down. DH'ing him (or putting him at 1B) twice a week would help keep him fresh over the long season while keeping his bat in the lineup. Plus, you probably want to keep Giolito with McCann, and maybe one other pitcher, to keep that relationship going.

RE: The DH slot, it really depends a lot on how Collins performs. There's still a chance that he develops into a guy that can do a lot of damage against RHP, which is something this team badly needs. If he doesn't succeed then McCann can take on more of those ABs, which I agree is not ideal. In that case if they're contending at the deadline they could look to add a bat from outside the organization, or if they're not contending they wait until 2021.

Remember this is still a team coming out of a rebuild, so they're going to be giving the kids (like Collins, Madrigal, maybe even Mercedes, as well as Cease/Kopech/Lopez) a chance to see what they can do, even if there are veteran options that would in theory be safer bets to produce. It just will be a rebuilding team without the black holes that they've had the past few years (Jay/Tilson/Yolmer/etc.) forced into full time roles, so they're more likely to be interesting and competitive while those kids are coming along.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 AM
WSI High Priest

The more I think on this the more I like it. He can hit, solidifying the lineup. He frames well, so he helps the young pitchers develop. He wants to groom Collins. He indirectly addresses DH either by hitting or allowing Collins/McCann (if he hits like he did for most of last year) to DH.

Is this enough to make a successful offseason? Of course not. But it's a pretty big and impactful move. Quibbling about "it doesn't do much by itself" is exactly like complaining after a season opening 5-game win streak that "it'll take a lot more than 5 wins to get to the playoffs."
Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kinda does do a lot by itself though. That's what I don't understand about any of the hand wringing about this.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Question: With Abreu's acceptance of the QO and the Grandal signing, what is the current projected payroll commitment for 2020 (including estimates for arb eligible players)?

UPDATE: Abreu's 2020 salary is now $11M plus a $5M signing bonus and not the $17.8M QO amount.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
The more I think on this the more I like it. He can hit, solidifying the lineup. He frames well, so he helps the young pitchers develop. He wants to groom Collins. He indirectly addresses DH either by hitting or allowing Collins/McCann (if he hits like he did for most of last year) to DH.

Is this enough to make a successful offseason? Of course not. But it's a pretty big and impactful move. Quibbling about "it doesn't do much by itself" is exactly like complaining after a season opening 5-game win streak that "it'll take a lot more than 5 wins to get to the playoffs."
Well stated.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-22-2019, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I didn’t hear the interview. Was Grandal strange or was Mac and Parkins clowning too much?
Clowning way too much - Grandal sounded annoyed

Asked a question on being okay with low attendance and less popularity than Cubs

Asked what his first big purchase is going to be

Asked why the White Sox and kept trying to basically get him to say they offered the most money

Talked about the features on his ford truck

Thennnnnn they asked if he was mad about the Astros scandal and Grandal said “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying”

It was a strange back and fourth
Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM
2013 Preseason Prediction Contest Champion

I'm not too thrilled by his statement "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying". A few posts back there were references to "U of Miami" catchers. That program hasn't been without steroid controversy in the past few years. Let's hope that he can complete the contract and continue performing as in the past couple of years. And that A-Rod and Braun stay away from Comiskey!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

Oh man that's awesome. I like this guy.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The press for this deal is overwhelmingly positive. Some commentators do note that Grandal alone will not make the White Sox contenders (which is true), but they manage to do so without going into a long rant about Reinsdorf, Yonder Alonso, and the San Diego Padres.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasmani-...the-white-sox/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ndal-deal.html

Why aren't they doing their job?!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The press for this deal is overwhelmingly positive. Some commentators do note that Grandal alone will not make the White Sox contenders (which is true), but they manage to do so without going into a long rant about Reinsdorf, Yonder Alonso, and the San Diego Padres.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasmani-...the-white-sox/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ndal-deal.html

I don't think anyone is honestly debating on this thread if it is a good move (other than the resident troll). In defense of the posters that are not as positive about the move, they are saying that on its own the signing is not enough to make the White Sox contenders. If the Sox stop with the Grandal and Abreu signings, they are 100% correct IMO. However, I also feel it is very unlikely that they are done in the FA market.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...