GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Backlash against Sox Disco Demolition T-shirt

The Sox are commemorating the anniversary of Disco Demolition Night by giving away a t-shirt to the first 10,00 fans at tomorrow's game. Apparently, some people are unhappy with the promotion because being "anti-disco" also means being anti-something I had never ever considered. Sounds like because of the twitter storm that followed, the Sox are re-thinking the promotion. Link below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...612-story.html

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

1. Leave it to the Tribune to blow up a small number of whiners into a protest movement.
2. I was at Disco Demolition Night. It was nowhere near a "dark and disgraceful" night in White Sox history. This is the same team that once threw the World Series.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.

I honestly rolled my eyes reading the article. Like it or not, "Disco Demolition" was a historic moment for this franchise. I see no problem with giving away a promotional t-shirt to the first 10,000 fans that show up. Do we even have 10,000 fans? There is literally zero things I can find offensive with the below t-shirt aside from it being a **** brown that I personally would never wear:

Link

Last edited by JermaineDye05; 06-12-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

We don't know who really is behind the Tweets. Could be some Cub fans who want to cause problems for the Sox.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.
Disco still lives at Wrigley!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-12-2019, 05:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Disco still lives at Wrigley!
Now, this is a shirt I wouldn't mind wearing.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I honestly rolled my eyes reading the article. Like it or not, "Disco Demolition" was a historic moment for this franchise. I see no problem with giving away a promotional t-shirt to the first 10,000 fans that show up. Do we even have 10,000 fans? There is literally zero things I can find offensive with the below t-shirt aside from it being a **** brown that I personally would never wear:

Link
There'd probably be some folk song about the event out there that gets Cubs fans and the media all teary-eyed if this had happened at Wrigley.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
There'd probably be some folk song about the event out there that gets Cubs fans and the media all teary-eyed if this had happened at Wrigley.
By Steve Goodman, probably. And donít forget a play. There would be a play.

I agree that it would e embraced. While it isnít TOO comparable, the Bleacher Bums in 1969 are celebrated in prose and poetry for their rowdy jerk behavior.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Link
Love the logo but agree that the color wasn't a great choice.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
1. Leave it to the Tribune to blow up a small number of whiners into a protest movement.
2. I was at Disco Demolition Night. It was nowhere near a "dark and disgraceful" night in White Sox history. This is the same team that once threw the World Series.
Thank you!

I was there as well- it was a classic, late 70's party that got out of hand (like the parties I threw when my parents went away in high school).

It's not some dark, horrible thing- it's a crazy convergence of events that created a historic event for one of the quirkiest, unique franchises in all of professional sports.

The White Sox should embrace all of the unique quirks in their history and stop whitewashing it and becoming some boring, generic, 2nd tier franchise.

I've heard the interpretations that "anti-disco" = "anti-gay"- I was a junior in high school at the time, so maybe not clued into everything- but we despised disco because of the lame music and could not embrace the silk shirts, disco outfits, hair styles and everything else about it- never entered out minds about the gay aspect.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Thank you!

I was there as well- it was a classic, late 70's party that got out of hand (like the parties I threw when my parents went away in high school).

It's not some dark, horrible thing- it's a crazy convergence of events that created a historic event for one of the quirkiest, unique franchises in all of professional sports.

The White Sox should embrace all of the unique quirks in their history and stop whitewashing it and becoming some boring, generic, 2nd tier franchise.

I've heard the interpretations that "anti-disco" = "anti-gay"- I was a junior in high school at the time, so maybe not clued into everything- but we despised disco because of the lame music and could not embrace the silk shirts, disco outfits, hair styles and everything else about it- never entered out minds about the gay aspect.
Yea, I always thought that a lot of the reaction against disco was more a reaction against the sort of phoniness and pomp of it and places like Studio 54. I thought that punk rock was a reaction against the aesthetics of disco too.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Only in 2019 would we reexamine history to find a bunch of people in bell bottoms and tube tops contributing to the 'dark elements' of a fringe of historians' view on what caused the sox to destroy disco. Next I'm going to find out that Stallone didn't end communism in Rocky IV
Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I want to preface by saying that I'm not doubting you whatsoever--I was born in 1989 so I have no firsthand knowledge of it, but I've always found it really interesting and would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers the event. The story I've always heard was that a lot of...lets call them "non-baseball fans" took over the stadium and started what was described as a riot. Was it that crazy, or was it misrepresented?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 AM
WSI Regular

I remember this fondly - itís a time stamp thatís unique to 1979 like Woodstock was ten years before. Remember - the drinking age was still 19 and they didnít really card anybody. Lots of partying going on at the old park. If you were semi-discreet it was pretty easy to smoke a joint or one hitter more or less openly. They had big rock concerts at the park that were pretty debaucherous. Most who participated in this ended up as normal tax paying citizens with kids and now grandkids. Fun time coming of age in that era, I was 17.
Closed Thread