White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 PM
WSI Guru

Default Baseball's Economics and Stalled Free Agency...

Terrific read. A long story but very informative:

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-baseb...224638354.html
Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Instead of moving major league free agency to three or four years of service time, I would rather tweak the minor league system to get players to the majors (and free agency) at a younger age:

1. Reduce the number of minor league seasons for Rule 5 eligibility to three seasons across the board instead of the current system of four or five seasons depending on age at the time of signing.

2. Reduce the number of option seasons to two instead of the current number of three.

3. If a player spends 90 days or more on the disabled list in a minor league season due to injury, a one-time injury waiver may be obtained to either delay Rule 5 eligibility or grant another option uear, depending on the playerís 40-man roster status at the time of the injury.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
It is long and informative. However I am again reminded of how much I really don't like Jeff Passan. Insinuating cheapness and collusion on the part of the Dodgers and Yankees because they are taking a one year hiatus from paying the luxury tax triggered my gag reflex. The Scott Borass comment about the baker and the flour was precious. I will agree with Passan that the system appears to be broken. Much has been made about the game never being more robust because of all the money being made but I beg to differ. We are now in an era where so many teams for whatever reasons don't even pretend to be attempting to win, at least in the short term. Fans are even on board, or at least enough of them to matter. Yes very interesting and informative and I would recommend to those of you who think baseball has never been healthier to read the comments section. This article and recent events surrounding the Pirates and the free agent situation have definitely made me rethink both the state of the game and the general idea of tearing it all down to rebuild.
There's a few issues I take with the article, even though I agree with some. I definitely think the owners crying poor is an absolute joke. They have stadiums built for them by taxpayers and the rich teams are routinely supporting the poor. If I'm an owner for the Dodgers or the Yankees, I'd be rightfully pissed off if I see the cheapest teams not even pretending to win. That's what happening with the Pirates and Marlins right now- they're not really even trying to rebuild, rather they are just going through the motions of turning a profit.

And with all these teams going through a "rebuild", it's time we start to separate out who is actually trying versus who is doing a "rebuild" as an excuse to cut payroll. The White Sox and Braves have heavily invested in their rebuilds, not just through player transactions but with revamping their front offices, minor league systems, scouting departments, and so forth. They are actually trying to win for the future.

The Marlins just fired everyone and traded away anyone who made money for peanuts. The Pirates appear to be going down that route. Teams pulling that crap don't deserve any revenue sharing. MLB should come up with a payroll floor that if the teams don't meet it, they don't get revenue sharing from the richest ballclubs.

There are no reasons why the Pirates and Marlins couldn't have snagged some of the top free agents and went for it. But I definitely take issue with Passan just lumping all the losing teams together like they're all at fault. He's coming off as a bit of an MLBPA apologist here.

He's right that the entire structure needs to change. Baseball needs a salary floor combined with revenue sharing. They need to revamp arbitration. What is starting to scare me is if this leads to another 1994ish work stoppage, it'll happen in 2021 or 2022, right around when we're supposed to contend.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
There's a few issues I take with the article, even though I agree with some. I definitely think the owners crying poor is an absolute joke. They have stadiums built for them by taxpayers and the rich teams are routinely supporting the poor. If I'm an owner for the Dodgers or the Yankees, I'd be rightfully pissed off if I see the cheapest teams not even pretending to win. That's what happening with the Pirates and Marlins right now- they're not really even trying to rebuild, rather they are just going through the motions of turning a profit.

And with all these teams going through a "rebuild", it's time we start to separate out who is actually trying versus who is doing a "rebuild" as an excuse to cut payroll. The White Sox and Braves have heavily invested in their rebuilds, not just through player transactions but with revamping their front offices, minor league systems, scouting departments, and so forth. They are actually trying to win for the future.

The Marlins just fired everyone and traded away anyone who made money for peanuts. The Pirates appear to be going down that route. Teams pulling that crap don't deserve any revenue sharing. MLB should come up with a payroll floor that if the teams don't meet it, they don't get revenue sharing from the richest ballclubs.

There are no reasons why the Pirates and Marlins couldn't have snagged some of the top free agents and went for it. But I definitely take issue with Passan just lumping all the losing teams together like they're all at fault. He's coming off as a bit of an MLBPA apologist here.

He's right that the entire structure needs to change. Baseball needs a salary floor combined with revenue sharing. They need to revamp arbitration. What is starting to scare me is if this leads to another 1994ish work stoppage, it'll happen in 2021 or 2022, right around when we're supposed to contend.
Only issue with a payroll floor is it drives up the price of middling and b-tier free agents to no apparent gain to anyone but the players pocketbooks. Now I'm in favor of the players being well paid but what does the game or the fans gain from that kind of extra cash being poured into the players pockets?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...