White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2018, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

After the past two offseasons, I can only guess that reliever contracts must derive their values on something other than WAR and usage rates.

Look at a guy like Kenley Jansen. Last year, he was basically the Platonic ideal for an MLB closer, and his WAR was still only 3.0 despite his dominance. Meanwhile, Fernando Rodney gave the Diamondbacks 0.4 WAR last year. When I watch the two players, I can’t wrap my head around the fact that Jansen is only 2.6 wins better than Rodney.

Even 9th-inning mastermind Mariano Rivera maxed-out with a 5.0 WAR in 1996, when he was setup man for John Wetteland. A major reason he reached that lofty level was because he had a 107-inning workload that year, a marked increase from his typical 60-70 innings per season when he later ascended to the closer’s role.

The incremental WAR gains between elite guys like Jansen and average guys like Rodney seem to defy the multimillion-dollar differences in their salaries. Teams must be using something else to place value on these guys.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

The incremental WAR gains between elite guys like Jansen and average guys like Rodney seem to defy the multimillion-dollar differences in their salaries. Teams must be using something else to place value on these guys.
Yeah, that something else is this:

The Giants are looking at Jay Bruce and Andrew McCutchen.

https://www.mlb.com/news/giants-seek...lp/c-264252764
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 01-04-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

If you compare teams' cumulative WAR to actual wins, it simply does not add up
Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020
Guys like Billy Pierce and especially Whitey Ford get hurt badly in WAR games because for some reason pitchers in their era just didn't get the big WAR totals.
The reason is because the floor for “replacement level” was much higher back then than it is nowadays. The difference between 16 and 30 teams, between 4 and 5-man rotations, and the addition of the DH created a situation where most teams’ #3 starters today wouldn’t have even sniffed the majors in the 1950s, and those guys don’t even represent today’s zero-WAR floor.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The reason is because the floor for “replacement level” was much higher back then than it is nowadays. The difference between 16 and 30 teams, between 4 and 5-man rotations, and the addition of the DH created a situation where most teams’ #3 starters today wouldn’t have even sniffed the majors in the 1950s, and those guys don’t even represent today’s zero-WAR floor.
At the risk of opening a massive can of worms, I’ll just say that I don’t buy that a “replacement level player” from the 1950s would be better than such a player today. The US population is much larger. MLB draws from a global talent pool. Year-round training, modern medicine and kinesiology, and diet, mean that today’s players are much more finely-tuned and well-informed about how to improve their games. Technology, math, science, and sabermetrics have revolutionized how players train, practice, and prepare. As a result, the level of competition is so much higher now.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Yes, if you threw today’s players in a time machine and took them back to the 1950s, they would flat-out dominate. That’s not what this is about. This is about the numbers being put up by replacement-level players today vs. the numbers put up by the replacement-level players of the past. An ERA pushing 5.00 would be a sure-fire ticket out of a starting rotation in those days. Nowadays, guys like that take the ball every fifth day with some frequency.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Yes, if you threw today’s players in a time machine and took them back to the 1950s, they would flat-out dominate. That’s not what this is about. This is about the numbers being put up by replacement-level players today vs. the numbers put up by the replacement-level players of the past. An ERA pushing 5.00 would be a sure-fire ticket out of a starting rotation in those days. Nowadays, guys like that take the ball every fifth day with some frequency.
I agree. I also think if you brought a player like Billy Pierce from the past and gave him access with modern day training/medicine, he'd perform at a very high level.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
An ERA pushing 5.00 would be a sure-fire ticket out of a starting rotation in those days. Nowadays, guys like that take the ball every fifth day with some frequency.
I completely understand and agree. But there are lots of things that go into a pitcher’s ERA that are outside of his control, some of which have to do with how the game is played, which is at least partially connected to the quality of the players.

Pitchers then weren’t routinely throwing 95 MPH; hitters weren’t attempting to crush the ball but rather put it into play - with some degree of bat control - ideally toward the opponent’s weakest fielder or between fielders, or specifically toward a general area of the field to advance or score a base runner. Fewer runs were scored, which meant ERAs were lower.

I think we’re in agreement that, when comparing players from different eras, even WAR hasn’t yet been perfected.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 AM
WSI Regular

Not a conventional signing, but Dave Cameron is leaving Fangraphs to work for the San Diego Padres https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...i-would-write/
Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM
WSI Guru

According to Jon Morosi on Twitter; Cole going to the Astros is "imminent."

Good...better Houston than the Yankees.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM
WSI Regular

Just saw that. I wonder what the return will be like. Cole's HR/9 jumped last season.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Not a conventional signing, but Dave Cameron is leaving Fangraphs to work for the San Diego Padres https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...i-would-write/
Another win for Saber!

Saber 4 Life!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
According to Jon Morosi on Twitter; Cole going to the Astros is "imminent."

Good...better Houston than the Yankees.
Is he is or is he ain't an Astro?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gerr...come-an-astro/
Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post

Am I the only person who always has to remind himself that the Astros are in the American League?!

It took me at least 10 years to think of the Brewers as a National League team.

275-238.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Jay Bruce signed with the Mets: 3 years, $39 million.

Perhaps Rick Hahn can make a few phone calls to teams like the Blue Jays and Giants to gauge interest in Avi Garcia. They both were connected to Bruce via the rumor mill.