And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Sure it does. If it is a kid that can gain experience then you go with the kid versus the gas can vet.
If the team assesses that there is more value for the particular player in him gaining experience in the majors at that time. Otherwise, you ride out the calendar with the gas can veteran. There are plenty of the latter in the majors right now serving this very purpose.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM
WSI Personality

If the Sox somehow manage to trade Avi or Melky for something worthwhile (highly doubtful in my opinion) then you bring up Willy Garcia and/or Nicky Delmonico and let them play. I doubt either are more than bench depth in the future but Willy did not embarrass himself during his short stint earlier and Delmonico deserves a shot at some point to soon to show if he can play at the major league level or not.

Replacing Avi and Melky happens a couple years down the road when Jiminez, Robert, Adolfo, and Rutherford are ready. Warm bodies will do between now and then.

But I doubt anyone offers a return that makes trading Avi or Melky worthwhile. As has been documented several times earlier in this thread, the market simply isn't there.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

I am shocked there is no market for a switch hitting OF who has played REALLY solid D....
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM
WSI Regular

Miguel Gonzalez has had two solid starts in a row since coming off the DL, so he's a good candidate to go. I heard talk of him potentially going to the Brewers. He wouldn't bring much back in a trade, but I imagine this is the reason they have waited to bring up Lopez - they don't want to jerk Pelfry (or anyone else) back and forth between SP and RP duties, if they're going to need him in the rotation after dealing away a SP.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post
I am shocked there is no market for a switch hitting OF who has played REALLY solid D....
Teal?

He still has the bat and the arm- but his range and speed are dropping like a rock.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Miguel Gonzalez has had two solid starts in a row since coming off the DL, so he's a good candidate to go. I heard talk of him potentially going to the Brewers. He wouldn't bring much back in a trade, but I imagine this is the reason they have waited to bring up Lopez - they don't want to jerk Pelfry (or anyone else) back and forth between SP and RP duties, if they're going to need him in the rotation after dealing away a SP.

If Gonzo nets us a top150 prospect, I would consider that a win.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I can see how the plays he makes out there may look impressive in real-time, but all those jumps, dives, and stretches he makes are to get to balls that a truly solid defender would already be parked underneath, ready to make the catch.

He does deserve a lot of credit for getting maximum results out of his limited abilities. He certainly busts his ass out there.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Read what I posted about the availability of corner OFs. They are a dime a dozen in the market.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
WSI Guru

Jennings has to be next.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Jennings has to be next.
Or Melky or Gonzales.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever
Jennings has to be next.
I think you're right. His splits against lefties this year are out of this world.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM
WSI Personality

Who's next?

I'm guessing Miguel Gonzalez maybe Melky at some point (but not for much). I see people bandying Holland's name about but have a hard time picturing someone seeing him as an improvement for a stretch drive. He really has not pitched well.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Who's next?

I'm guessing Miguel Gonzalez maybe Melky at some point (but not for much). I see people bandying Holland's name about but have a hard time picturing someone seeing him as an improvement for a stretch drive. He really has not pitched well.
I think next man up is Gonzalez. He's pitched two excellent games in a row against playoff teams and will have a third on Saturday. The Nationals and the Dodgers both could use a stop gap veteran pitcher. I think it will be the Dodgers.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I mentioned to someone before the season started that I thought the Sox would lose 95-100 games. He thought I was crazy. My rationale was that they'd play like a 72 win team before the deadline and a 42 win team after it. Virtually everything tradeable will be dealt, and the holes they leave will be plugged by guys who won't perform as well. In some cases, by guys who will perform atrociously.

All part of the process. We're not going anywhere this season (obviously), so watching the young guys develop and gunning for that #1 pick is all that matters.
Deja vu in a SoxFest flashback: check out the second video on this page, in which WSI's own ChiSoxGirl explains to the chirpy reporter that she expects 100 losses this year.

I don't know if Hahn really is aiming for the high draft pick, but the more front-liners get traded away, the closer we are to 100 losses.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Deja vu in a SoxFest flashback: check out the second video on this page, in which WSI's own ChiSoxGirl explains to the chirpy reporter that she expects 100 losses this year.

I don't know if Hahn really is aiming for the high draft pick, but the more front-liners get traded away, the closer we are to 100 losses.
The 1969 White Sox went 68-94. As I posted in another thread, on July 27 they suffered a 17-0 drubbing by the Baltimore Orioles and ended the day with a record of 40-60. After tonight's loss to the Cubs the Sox are 39-60.

The White Sox had July 27, 1970 off but had a record of 35-67 that day and ended the season at a dismal 56-106.

I think Hahn is simply gathering as much young talent as he can. He knows he's going to get a low draft pick no matter what and that the more veteran talent he trades the lower that pick will be. I doubt he is purposefully aiming for #1. They key is to gather as much talent as you can now and then draft as well as you can whether at #1 or #3 or #6.