Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I like this signing.

In 2019, whenever Hansen is ready (letís say June 15 to maximize gain another year of service time), he pushes the worst among Rodon-Giolito-Lopez-Kopech-Fulmer into the bullpen.

Until the team is ready to compete, I would not mind seeing a 6 man rotation to A) Save the young arms B) let things play out on who will stick in the rotation and who moves to the pen.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Pretty much the way I see it except I think we'll see Kopech in Chicago before Rodon. And I think we have to consider the possibility that Fulmer doesn't last past a month or so in the rotation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Until the team is ready to compete, I would not mind seeing a 6 man rotation to A) Save the young arms B) let things play out on who will stick in the rotation and who moves to the pen.
Iím fine with either/both of these scenarios.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Rondon probably starts at AAA. Yrizarri was only playing at A+ last year so he is more likely the starter at AA (could stay at A+). Far more depth at SS than I can recall in a while.
More likely than not. But Yrizzari actually got 34 plate appearances at AAA in 2015 and did OK. The assignments will tell us a lot about how the Sox rate them.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

MLB network reporting Abreu agrees to a 1-year, 13M deal to avoid arbitration.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
MLB network reporting Abreu agrees to a 1-year, 13M deal to avoid arbitration.
...isn't that less than what he made last year? I know for damn sure that that's almost $5 million less than what he was projected to make.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
...isn't that less than what he made last year? I know for damn sure that that's almost $5 million less than what he was projected to make.
No, he made $10.9 mil last year. He did make $13.3 in 2016, but he opted out of that contract.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
2014 $7,000,000.00
2015 $8,666,000.00
2016 $13,334,000.00
2017 $10,825,000.00

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Okay, that explains it. For all intents and purposes, it's still a discount.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Okay, that explains it. For all intents and purposes, it's still a discount.
Contrary to the belief by some that "he's just another guy," for the numbers he puts up indeed this is a nice bargain for the Sox.

Which leads me to think if the Sox truly think of him as piece that can stick for the future / rebuild, he's not looking to break the bank on a mega deal. You can probably wipe out these last 2 arbitration years and lock him up on a nice 4-5 year deal.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
While I don't think of Hahn as a God as many Sox fans do, making a decision on Hahn's future based on W/L record from the past and immediate future knowing quite well what it is that's going on right now would be probably the dumbest move in Chicago Sports history. In fact, I don't think JR and Kenny are this dumb.

Now, make a dumb trade right like dumping prospects for a 1 year rental of Machado .... yes, fire him on the spot.
Yeah, there needs to be a middle ground on Hahn. The idea that he is suddenly a god among men because he managed to trade the top end of the 2016 Sox roster for good prospects is kinda silly. A replacement-level GM could have gotten good value in return for Chris Sale. Hell, you or I could have brokered a good trade for Chris Sale. How hard is it, really, to trade a guy that 29 other teams would love to have on that contract?

The easy part of the rebuild is over. It's what they do from here as far as drafting and developing that will tell the tale on Hahn. We'll see where we are in two years.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Always liked Miggy. He battles out there and soaks up some valuable innings. You can pencil him in for about 150-160 innings. Gives you some good outings and some not so good outings but provides some veteran stability in the back of the rotation. Perfect #5 starter.
Agreed. Gonzalez did the role effectively last year. That role is still needed, so it makes sense to ask him back to do it again.

He's not great, but he's still a step above the Shields-Pelfrey-Holland triumvirate of doom.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Contrary to the belief by some that "he's just another guy," for the numbers he puts up indeed this is a nice bargain for the Sox.
I donít remember anyone ever expressing anything along those lines around here.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Which leads me to think if the Sox truly think of him as piece that can stick for the future / rebuild, he's not looking to break the bank on a mega deal. You can probably wipe out these last 2 arbitration years and lock him up on a nice 4-5 year deal.
*Exactly* what I was thinking. I just hope the front office really does see him as a part of the rebuild and contention, because whatever deal he signs will see him produce less toward the end of that deal.

Not everyone can be Jaromir Jagr, sadly. :P
Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yeah, there needs to be a middle ground on Hahn. The idea that he is suddenly a god among men because he managed to trade the top end of the 2016 Sox roster for good prospects is kinda silly. A replacement-level GM could have gotten good value in return for Chris Sale. Hell, you or I could have brokered a good trade for Chris Sale. How hard is it, really, to trade a guy that 29 other teams would love to have on that contract?

The easy part of the rebuild is over. It's what they do from here as far as drafting and developing that will tell the tale on Hahn. We'll see where we are in two years.
Maybe- but the return he got for Eaton and Quintana was exceptional.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 01-13-2018, 04:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Maybe- but the return he got for Eaton and Quintana was exceptional.
I'll say now that I am encouraged by what I see from these players the White Sox received in deals for Eaton and Quintana.

I'll wait to see how these players perform at the big league level before saying the return was exceptional.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004