White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Gregorius has TJ surgery, might as well fit Machado for a Yanks uni

Won't miss all of 2019, but the Yanks cannot afford to wait.

The Yanks will go all out to land him, nobody will be able to compete with them for Machado.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM
WSI Guru

To me it's pretty clear Machado is going to now be a Yankee. Sox should forget about him, sign some decent starting pitchers, sign three decent relief pitchers and hope for growth across the board next year to get closer to respectability.

Machado = Pipe dream.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI Regular

That's fine. Get Arenado next offseason.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

The Sox can outspend the Yankees (and everyone else) on this one. And they will need to, because what player wouldn't want to move onto a team that is going to win ~100 games for the next several seasons? Machado seems comfortable with the spotlight.

It would be fine if the Sox ended up with Arenado, but Arenado might never reach free agency, and there will be another bidding war for his services.

Donaldson doesn't do it for me. Signing him for one season is pointless. Signing him for more than that is too risky.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The Sox can outspend the Yankees (and everyone else) on this one. And they will need to, because what player wouldn't want to move onto a team that is going to win ~100 games for the next several seasons? Machado seems comfortable with the spotlight.

It would be fine if the Sox ended up with Arenado, but Arenado might never reach free agency, and there will be another bidding war for his services.

Forget him; the guy jogs down the line on a ground ball to short in the NLCS.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
That's fine. Get Arenado next offseason.
Except he said recently especially now that the Rockies made the playoffs he'd prefer to reup with them.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Except he said recently especially now that the Rockies made the playoffs he'd prefer to reup with them.
They did? Sorry, I blinked.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Well played.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
They appear to have a pretty bright future and they do have a history of resigning their own. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't hold my breath or bet your house on the Sox signing him.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
They appear to have a pretty bright future and they do have a history of resigning their own. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't hold my breath or bet your house on the Sox signing him.
Agreed.

I wouldn't punt on Machado simply because we should go after Arenado instead next year. There's no guarantee that Arenado even makes it to free agency. The Rockies may have been swept in the NLDS this year, but they've made the playoffs 2 years in a row and I doubt they're ready to throw in the towel next year and just let Arenado walk.

That's not to say there aren't argument of why the Sox shouldn't pay big time for Machado or whether they even stand a chance of getting him. I'm only referring to the wait-for-Arenado argument. If the Sox really think either of these players could help make them a World Series quality team, then it's a big risk to wait for a Arenado free agency that might not even happen.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
WSI Regular

Default Mike Moustakas

Could Sox sign Moustakes on a 2-3 year deal? He's a winner, so that's worth something. Probably bash out 30-35 homers. Lefty bat.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshanahanjr View Post
Could Sox sign Moustakes on a 2-3 year deal? He's a winner, so that's worth something. Probably bash out 30-35 homers. Lefty bat.
They could, but they shouldn't.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshanahanjr View Post
Sox haven't had a 3b with a .800 OPS since Crede in '06, completely unacceptable. Moustakas wouldn't cost a draft pick either because his big option is very likely to be declined. Sanchez isn't the 3b of the future or even next year. No downside to upgrading the position. Also interested in Marwin Gonzalez for 3b in a similar deal as he can also play SS, 2b, 1b, and LF.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They could, but they shouldn't.

Don't see why it's a bad idea. Good defender, lefty power bat, will be good in their window if they choose to contract him that long. Will add stability in the short term, fills organizational depth at the single weakest position in the organization.

I'd rather have Machado, or Arrenado, or another young stud. But Moustakes is a very good player that would easily be worth his contract on this team.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Sox haven't had a 3b with a .800 OPS since Crede in '06, completely unacceptable. Moustakas wouldn't cost a draft pick either because his big option is very likely to be declined. Sanchez isn't the 3b of the future or even next year. No downside to upgrading the position. Also interested in Marwin Gonzalez for 3b in a similar deal as he can also play SS, 2b, 1b, and LF.
Someone is going to pay Gonzalez a lot of money. Unless you're looking at $80 and the largest guarantee the organization has ever given out - for a utility player - not sure this makes as much sense.