White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Tommy John Writes Against Teens Having the Surgery Named for Him

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...e-surgery.html

I was surprised at the stats he cites that 57% of UCL reconstruction surgeries now are done on kids 15-19 years old and that one in seven of those kids will never "fully recover." (Not sure what that means -- sports performance-wise, or day-to-day functionality.) I thought that only youngsters thought to be headed for (or already in) pro or at least college careers would even have this surgery. And though all surgeries have risks, the impression I had is that this one was more or less Magic New Elbow Installed. An interesting read.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

This is an interesting link that should have had more traffic. If untold numbers of teen aged boys need this kind of surgery then something is drastically wrong. Some parents of young boy athletes are aware of the one sport trend and are encouraging their sons to play a variety of sports and games. Once they get into middle and high school sports the pressure on them is intense to pick one sport and stick with it. A mistake in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:52 AM
WSI Guru

I've talked with trainers who have told me that they have run across parents demanding that their sons have the surgery even though they don't really need it because of the presumption that basically the clock on the arm starts all over again and that in most cases the pitcher comes back throwing better and harder in two years.

Their thinking is to have the kid do it at 14 and by the time he's 16-17 the scouts will be flocking to see them.

That's pretty sick.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

A very interesting take by Tommy John whose opinion I value quite highly. TJ belongs in the Hall of Fame in my opinion. He was within striking distance to the 300 Win plateau, and because of the surgery that bears his name, it's like he had 2 separate and distinctive careers, the pre and post Tommy John surgery pitchers. He was always one of my favorite White Sox players and the staff he anchored along with Gary Peters, and Joel Horlen gave many a hitters fits to be tied. Ask Hawk Harrelson how tough the 1960's White Sox Pitchers were to face.

Anyhow I digress, I agree with TJ and now in light of the Michael Kopech injury I hope the White Sox take the most cautious approach in his rehab, much like the Nationals did with Steven Strasburg.

I would hope the Sox place Kopech in the minors for 2020 and let him build his arm strength back by conditioning and gradually extending his outings and not so much worry about his Won-Loss record and only call him up in 2020 if they (his Medical team) deem him ready to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Strasburg

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=24929