White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 01:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Cubbie faithful are sore winners. They believe their team is successful because God has chosen to reward them for their greatness as a fan base.
This is why I can't root for them to have success, "embrace the moment" or any bull**** like that. They need to let the whole world know they're Cubs fans, and it's "great" to be a Cubs fan and woe to those who apparently don't know better. The cheerleaders in the media only encourage it. And I'll never forget how blatantly obvious SNL was in celebrating their championship. They had to have Dexter Fowler, Anthony Rizzo AND "Grandpa" Ross in a sketch and then appear with Bill Murray at the end of Weekend Update to sing Go Cubs Go. To top it all off, they faded to a W flag at the very end.

I think you said it once before. We can't ignore them because the world won't let us ignore them. And that might be the worst part of all.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
This is why I can't root for them to have success, "embrace the moment" or any bull**** like that. They need to let the whole world know they're Cubs fans, and it's "great" to be a Cubs fan and woe to those who apparently don't know better. The cheerleaders in the media only encourage it. And I'll never forget how blatantly obvious SNL was in celebrating their championship. They had to have Dexter Fowler, Anthony Rizzo AND "Grandpa" Ross in a sketch and then appear with Bill Murray at the end of Weekend Update to sing Go Cubs Go. To top it all off, they faded to a W flag at the very end.

I think you said it once before. We can't ignore them because the world won't let us ignore them. And that might be the worst part of all.
Without going into a very long historical story suffice it to say the White Sox blatant refusal to even fight for their own turf in the Chicago area for decades hasn't helped the situation.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I literally live four blocks from Wrigley Field and find it pretty easy to ignore them. Unless the mere sight of a Cubs logo or a W sign sends you into a fit of hysteria, it's not a problem.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
More Sox fans at games would mean fewer tickets for Cubbie faithful to snap up, but I can't blame any Sox fan who refuses to go to the ballpark and watch this product right now.

Fine, let Cubs fans buy White Sox tickets. Thanks for the investment.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I literally live four blocks from Wrigley Field and find it pretty easy to ignore them. Unless the mere sight of a Cubs logo or a W sign sends you into a fit of hysteria, it's not a problem.
Well, that settles it. If it's true in kittle42's neighborhood, then it must be true in every part of the Chicago area, too!

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-16-2018, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, that settles it. If it's true in kittle42's neighborhood, then it must be true in every part of the Chicago area, too!
Quote:
LOL!

Wearing cubbies gear to a non-cubs/Sox game is an act of provocation. And I'd say the same for Sox fans wearing Sox gear to Wrigley for a non-cubs/Sox game there. And if merely wearing their stuff at a Sox game isn't enough, they act like tools. Going around the Craft Cave shouting, GO CUBS! And last year I had another cubbies clown sitting nearby me acting like a jerk. Cubbie fans in my view are welcome to attend Sox games. I don't like them parading around Sox park in their cubbie gear, but I never say anything. But cubbie fans don't act like imbeciles.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 07-16-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm RIGHT NEXT TO HELL and don't feel the heat. What, there are WORSE places to be a Sox fan than 5 mins. away from Wrigley?

The problem isn't the area or the Cubs fans. Look within!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:53 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Fine, let Cubs fans buy White Sox tickets. Thanks for the investment.
And why not? I have friends who love the Cubs but can't afford their ticket prices, so they sometimes go to Sox games instead.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
And why not? I have friends who love the Cubs but can't afford their ticket prices, so they sometimes go to Sox games instead.
I don't think most of us have problems with that. It's the handful of Cub fans who seem to come to Sox games specifically to troll that are the problem.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
I don't think most of us have problems with that. It's the handful of Cub fans who seem to come to Sox games specifically to troll that are the problem.
It's annoying but it happens at every stadium. Sometimes we just have to deal with it. If they get out of hand, tell them to cool it.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's annoying but it happens at every stadium. Sometimes we just have to deal with it. If they get out of hand, tell them to cool it.
I trolled at Wrigley when I was a kid, especially at times the Sox were good. It was fun at the time.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I'm RIGHT NEXT TO HELL and don't feel the heat. What, there are WORSE places to be a Sox fan than 5 mins. away from Wrigley?

The problem isn't the area or the Cubs fans. Look within!
So, you're basically telling me I need to stop wearing my Sox gear, so that people won't make snide, unprovoked comments to me when I'm out in public.

I do not give a **** if people are flying W flags on their own house. They have that right. What I don't respect is someone I don't know walking up to me in the grocery store, pointing at the Sox logo on my shirt and telling me that I'm wearing the wrong shirt. **** you, loser, and **** your ****ty-ass Cubs, too.

It's not me. It's them. Stop defending them.

Last edited by JB98; 07-16-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's annoying but it happens at every stadium.
True, I think it's magnified here because of proximity.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
So, you're basically telling me I need to stop wearing my Sox gear, so that people won't make snide, unprovoked comments to me when I'm out in public.

I do not give a **** if people are flying W flags on their own house. They have that right. What I don't respect is someone I don't know walking up to me in the grocery store, pointing at the Sox logo on my shirt and telling me that I'm wearing the wrong shirt. **** you, loser, and **** your ****ty-ass Cubs, too.

It's not me. It's them. Stop defending them.
If they're doing it in jest, then your reaction is completely unwarranted and over the top.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
I trolled at Wrigley when I was a kid, especially at times the Sox were good. It was fun at the time.
I did too but it was all in good fun. During high school we would get groups of friends together and go to games at both Chicago parks and in Milwaukee. My one friend who is also a Sox fan used to go to Wrigley with a Sox jersey and Cardinals hat just because it would annoy our Cub fan friends.