White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Well, we missed out on the only tier two pitcher and everything I read says we're not evening engaging on tier one. So, to me that means we're going to go for tier one of outfield. That's either Castellanos or Ozuna.
"Tier one" for this offseason, not OFers in general. I'm hoping for a needed lefty bat via trade for RF.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
People did this last year with Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada all the time. Remember the constant repetition of “TA needs to hit 7th because that’s where he’s more comfortable” despite the fact that he was at the top of the AL batting average leaderboard all season? As for Moncada, people even went so far as to suggest that Moncada’s change of defensive position was somehow a factor in his improved offense.

Can’t have it both ways when I suggest that those plate appearances in the leadoff spot may have been a correctable drag on Heyward’s overall numbers.

Besides, the argument I was refuting with those numbers was the argument that Heyward “has no business on a major league roster.” Even with those awful numbers, it’s nonsense to say that Heyward is not a major league player anymore.
I didn't make that argument about TA. So it's not ME having it both ways.

Edit: but even if I did it's not the same thing as saying, "don't count the AB where TA bats 1st/2nd/5th he's just not comfortable hitting there so we shouldn't consider those AB when evaluating him."

You are manipulating the data, period.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Fair. He's certainly not a starter though. His defense - which was his only saving grace - now makes him roughly league average. With such a light stick, it's not a given a team would view him as better than organizational depth as a 4th or 5th outfielder. But yes, there are rosters he would make.
Untrue again. Position matters here. He was +7 DRS in RF last year but -3 DRS in CF. The only RF higher than +7 were Bellinger, Judge, Renfroe, Reddick, Betts, and Harper.

Overall, he was +8 OAA combined in RF and CF. Again, a really good number.

His bat is roughly league average, not his glove. 101 wRC+, 98 OPS+ last year, and to avoid getting yelled at again, I didnít take any at-bats out this time.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
You’re watching a different pitcher, then. That’s all I can tell you. Out of 61 ERA qualifiers (162+ IP), Lopez ranks #9 in average fastball velocity but is tied for #27 overall (with 3 other guys) in movement. I’ll try and see if I can find some video of some of the gopher balls he allowed.

Simply put, even when he can throw it for strikes, his 98 mph fastball “plays down” because it doesn’t spin enough.
Batters are too comfortable against him, no deception, his FB is as straight as can be, his slider and change have little room for error - are the main reasons for his inconsistency.

When he isn't locating his off-speed pitches, hitters don't have to worry about those because he hangs them and or they aren't sharp at all. These pitches can be easily hit or identified as a result. Then they sit on his FB that doesn't move, and hitters now don't fear 96-98 mph from pitchers like they did in the not too distant past, because premium velo is so commonplace in the league currently.

No one doubts he's given up gopher balls, it's just that those pitches didn't sink down into a more hittable area of the zone.

Last edited by ChiSoxNationPres; Yesterday at 05:50 PM.