White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Without going into too much detail, I'm in the same industry as major league baseball.
You're a statistician?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
You're a statistician?

You're my new favorite poster.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Twins resign Pineda, 2 years $20 million.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...0m-2-year-deal
Old 12-06-2019, 01:53 AM
Official Professor

It's called the "Jock Tax." Since MLB has franchises in those states, the athletes pay taxes in those states on the income they earned in those states.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ble-2016-07-27

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM
WSI Personality

Padres get: Tommy Pham

Rays get: Hunter Renfroe

Fans ought to thank the White Sox front office for kicking this offseason into high gear early on.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Tampa also gets at top 100 prospect, a middle infielder at that.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I love all 3 of those guys. But Giolito has some concerning splits (Really bad July and Septembers)
They're not concerning when you look closely at them. One bad start in each of those months skewed the numbers. Even when you keep those 2 starts his peripheral numbers are still solid. I'd be more concerned about his workload than anything else.

Quote:
Moncada looks great, And his September was particularly amazing. But September is historically a better hitters month because of the expanded rosters pitchers being in games.
I think September had more to do with the fact that the White Sox were playing against teams with poor pitching staffs (KC, DET, ANA). He's a star, there's no worry with Moncada other than injury.

Quote:
With both Those guys, with TA, I want to see it again. They showed they can do it, but all 3 have prove it years. I by means said they don't have what COULD BE top end talent, but right now, none of them have really proven anything is my point.
They don't have 'prove it' years in 2020, they already 'proved it' in 2019. To say that they didn't prove anything in 2019 is absurd.

Quote:
Also, I don't know that I would say Grandal is anywhere near top end. He was 8th in C war last year, he is a good player, he frames very well, but I don't think he is an elite level C talent.
Except Grandal is the #1 framing catcher in baseball over the past 4 seasons and I'm not sure where the 8th in WAR comes from. Fangraphs has him as the #2 catcher in MLB last season in terms of WAR. He's an elite catcher, the issue will be his age and how fast his skills decline.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-06-2019, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Padres seemingly making moves every day lately.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
It's called the "Jock Tax." Since MLB has franchises in those states, the athletes pay taxes in those states on the income they earned in those states.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ble-2016-07-27
Gotcha. They're considering the other team a division of the same employer. Which sort of makes sense.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Padres seemingly making moves every day lately.
"Don't confuse activity with achievement."
--John Wooden

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 12-06-2019, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
"Don't confuse activity with achievement."
--John Wooden
One of my favorites quotes, and wholly appropriate in this case.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
They're not concerning when you look closely at them. One bad start in each of those months skewed the numbers. Even when you keep those 2 starts his peripheral numbers are still solid. I'd be more concerned about his workload than anything else.

I think September had more to do with the fact that the White Sox were playing against teams with poor pitching staffs (KC, DET, ANA). He's a star, there's no worry with Moncada other than injury.

They don't have 'prove it' years in 2020, they already 'proved it' in 2019. To say that they didn't prove anything in 2019 is absurd.

Except Grandal is the #1 framing catcher in baseball over the past 4 seasons and I'm not sure where the 8th in WAR comes from. Fangraphs has him as the #2 catcher in MLB last season in terms of WAR. He's an elite catcher, the issue will be his age and how fast his skills decline.
I am not saying they did not prove anything, I am saying they are not PROVEN players. Lots of guys have 1 good year. To be a proven elite talent, you need to be perennially elite. We currently have no one who fits that description. After next year we may, but currently, zero. I am not discounting the season any of them had. But we have budding talent, not proven. Especially in the juiced ball era, I want to see more before I put them in the hall of fame.

Grandal is an amazing Framer, no doubt. But he also is still not a very good defensive catcher (horrible blocker, average arm, and while I always give guys the benefit of the doubt on this, he has been knocked by a couple teams on his pitcher prep). So to me, I have him as a good to very good player, not elite. And The following C had higher WAR's than Grandal last year

Realmuto 4.4
Garver 4.0
Perez 3.9
Chirinos 3.8
McCann 3.8
Sanchez 3.1
Murphy 2.6
Old 12-07-2019, 12:46 AM
WSI Prelate

WAR and all that help to make some arguments more clear, but I wouldn't even take half the guys on that list over Grandal.