Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Default **Official** Detwiler? Yes, Detwiler cruises PostGame Thread

Lots of bright spots: Detwiler, Cordero, Moncada, McCann and three bunts!!

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Great to have Moncada back playing next to Anderson . hoping that Jimenez can stay healthy so that all three can play everyday on in . would really like to see a solid outing from Cease tonight . fun to think about next year, with Robert in center and possibly Madrigal at some point, with Giolito and Kopech, after he gets his sealegs, fighting it out to see who will be the ace.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Great to have Moncada back playing next to Anderson . hoping that Jimenez can stay healthy so that all three can play everyday on in . would really like to see a solid outing from Cease tonight . fun to think about next year, with Robert in center and possibly Madrigal at some point, with Giolito and Kopech, after he gets his sealegs, fighting it out to see who will be the ace.
Completely agree. Our future is bright and after some dark days, it's going to be fun watching this team morph into a juggernaut.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
I read where Merkin said that the last game where Anderson, Moncada, and Jimenez all played a full game together was June 24. Two months ago! Yeah, our lineup looks so much better with those 3 together in the lineup.

Next year should be fun with those three plus, as you said, Robert and maybe Madrigal at some point. Is Collins's adjustments and turnaround at AAA since being sent down for real? (he's slashing at .363/.468/.696 in 29 games since his demotion) If so, then there's another big bat to add to the lineup.

....and yeah, I can't wait to see Kopech back on the hill along with perhaps a more seasoned Cease for next season.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:24 PM
WSI Prelate

....oh, and another great game for McCann. 2 for 4 with another big bomb right after Moncada's. I have to admit that I figured the 1st half was just a fluke when he slumped badly in July. He's certainly turned things around in recent weeks. Great offseason pickup for the Sox!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:49 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Lots of bright spots: Detwiler, Cordero, Moncada, McCann and three bunts!!

The three bunts were the best! I can just imagine certain posters here going nuts, because the bunts led to runs and the spreadsheets say that's not supposed to happen.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 08-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
The three bunts were the best! I can just imagine certain posters here going nuts, because the bunts led to runs and the spreadsheets say that's not supposed to happen.
Why do people insist on misrepresenting the opposing POV? It's not that bunts don't lead to runs, it's that other methods are more efficient at producing more runs over time than bunting for a sacrifice and depending on when the bunt is executed and how it is executed there can be a very small chance of successfully scoring the run after the bunt.

I'm personally a fan of trying to hit the ball to the right side to move a man from 2nd to 3rd over bunting because there's a bigger chance you get a hit when you do that.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Ross Detwiler has made 7 starts. He has gone at least 5 innings and given up 2 earned runs or fewer in 5 of them. When given a proper starterís pregame warmup, he has been good much more often than he has been bad. His relief outings have killed his overall numbers. Yet another example of this manager not knowing what heís doing and misusing his players.

Detwiler should be the 5th starter, and Santiago should be sent packing when Fry returns.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why do people insist on misrepresenting the opposing POV? It's not that bunts don't lead to runs, it's that other methods are more efficient at producing more runs over time than bunting for a sacrifice and depending on when the bunt is executed and how it is executed there can be a very small chance of successfully scoring the run after the bunt.

This is where knowing your personnel vs treating all players as statistical outcomes comes into play. I love hitting to the right side to move a runner along too. A manager might know his players well enough to believe that a particular player in a particular situation against a particular pitcher has a better chance of getting the bunt down than getting a ground ball or base hit to the right side. These are things that don't show up in advanced metrics.

It's why I like Renteria as a manager, and why I think it would be a mistake to fire him just as the team is getting good.