GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
They are, however, doomed if RF, 1B, DH, and 2B are not addressed. Honestly, I think we should just commit 2020 to seeing if we can fill those positions (or possibly CF with Robert moving to RF) internally. That is why I consider the 2019 trade deadline a failure.
I don't think there's anyone we could have traded at the 2019 deadline that would have brought back a starting-caliber player at any of those positions. I agree they should have looked to trade guys like Abreu and Colome, but the offers likely weren't there or I suspect they'd be gone.

Regarding the positions in question, it's pretty clear that plan A at 2B is Madrigal, and they're going to give him a shot next year. At 1B Vaughn is the long-term solution, but he's over a year away so Abreu on a 1 (maybe 2) year deal makes sense as a bridge (he'd move to DH if Vaugn is up earlier). That leaves RF and DH, but fortunately those two positions (especially DH) should be relatively easy to fill compared to the IF. I would be happy if they signed someone who could provide league-average production in RF (preferably one who hits left-handed), and they used DH as a defacto rest day for the regulars. If they find themselves in contention towards the deadline they could probably pick up a veteran DH relatively cheaply if they are just willing to take on the salary.

I would put C at the top of the list of positions without a long-term solution, as I don't think the team believes Collins will ever be a starting-caliber catcher. But it's really not asking too much of the team to fill two starting positions in free agency, considering the state of their current payroll. And that's in addition to the big SP signing they need to make.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 AM
WSI High Priest

I guess put me in the camp that says the Sox should attempt to contend in 2020 by signing a bunch of free agents to fill gaps like RF/SP1, but suspects the Sox will stand pat due to risk aversion.

I think you can build a potential contending team for 2020 without putting the tail end of the rebuild in jeopardy.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
They are, however, doomed if RF, 1B, DH, and 2B are not addressed. Honestly, I think we should just commit 2020 to seeing if we can fill those positions (or possibly CF with Robert moving to RF) internally. That is why I consider the 2019 trade deadline a failure.
I generally agree. However, I would like to see them sign someone to a 2-3 year deal for RF. All of our viable internal options are at least a year away from the majors, so 2020 is too early to audition Rutherford, Adolfo, Walker, etc.

I wouldn't mind them getting a C or DH because of the question marks regarding letting McCann and Collins cover both positions.

At 1B/DH, Vaughn and Sheets aren't MLB ready, but we have Abreu (who I expect to return) as a suitable placeholder until one of those guys is ready for a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Not true.
But, if you repeat something often enough, maybe it becomes true!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Not true.
3 Year Rebuilds: Astros, Braves, Cubs, Rays and Athletics