Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sammy Esposito R.I.P.

Didn't see anything on the web site but apparently Sammy Esposito, one of the last surviving members of the 1959 team passed away yesterday according to the Sun-Times. He was 81. Pretty good utility infielder with the Sox. Then for many years was the A.D. at North Carolina State. Played in two of the '59 World Series games.

Probably his biggest "historical" note in his Sox career was this one ironically coming on an error:

September 7, 1960 - In a game at Comiskey Park infielder Sammy Esposito booted a cinch double play ball hit by future Sox infielder Bill “Moose” Skowron, with the Sox leading in the eighth inning, 4-2. That lead quickly evaporated as the Yankees rallied for four runs and a 6-4 win.

Willie Harris and his friend, Jesse James (I swear I'm not making the names up) had a wager on the game. When Esposito blew the ground ball Harris took matters into his own hands. He jumped over the box seat railing, ran on to the field and before a startled team attacked Esposito. It took several uniformed police officers to pull Harris off of Esposito. Harris left the field shouting that he was “a real Sox fan.”

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 07-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

RIP
Great utility player, all glove, no hit, played 10 yrs in the majors.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM
WSI Guru

I think Aparicio and Romano are the only guys left for the Sox who played in that 59' series.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Esposito was 86. He was a star basketball player at Fenger HS on the south side and once scored 81 points in a game. He also played basketball at Indiana. I remember the incident in the game against the Yankees in September of 1960. The Sox were trying to get back in the pennant which the Yankees of course eventually won. Again. Paulwny is correct. Esposito was generally good with the glove, not so much with the bat.

http://www.ibcaillinois.org/sammy-esposito.cfm
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Didn't see anything on the web site but apparently Sammy Esposito, one of the last surviving members of the 1959 team passed away yesterday according to the Sun-Times. He was 81. Pretty good utility infielder with the Sox. Then for many years was the A.D. at North Carolina State. Played in two of the '59 World Series games.

Probably his biggest "historical" note in his Sox career was this one ironically coming on an error:

September 7, 1960 - In a game at Comiskey Park infielder Sammy Esposito booted a cinch double play ball hit by future Sox infielder Bill “Moose” Skowron, with the Sox leading in the eighth inning, 4-2. That lead quickly evaporated as the Yankees rallied for four runs and a 6-4 win.

Willie Harris and his friend, Jesse James (I swear I'm not making the names up) had a wager on the game. When Esposito blew the ground ball Harris took matters into his own hands. He jumped over the box seat railing, ran on to the field and before a startled team attacked Esposito. It took several uniformed police officers to pull Harris off of Esposito. Harris left the field shouting that he was “a real Sox fan.”
RIP Sammy. Thanks for the memories. I've got an audio clip of these but I don't see any way to attach it or I'd gladly share it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
RIP Sammy. Thanks for the memories. I've got an audio clip of these but I don't see any way to attach it or I'd gladly share it.
You mean the fan jumping him on the field?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You mean the fan jumping him on the field?
Yes.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes.
We need to get in touch with each other. I'd like to get a copy of that audio for the historical library.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
We need to get in touch with each other. I'd like to get a copy of that audio for the historical library.
Glad to help. It's Mel Allen of the Yankees doing the play by play.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Glad to help. It's Mel Allen of the Yankees doing the play by play.
Is this something you can burn off to a CD? I'll replace the CD and mail you a new one along with postage to get yours sent back to me.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sammy was a classmate of my Mom when she went to Fenger High School. He was a great guy, and was a terrific athlete. He was 86 years old. Rest In Peace Sammy!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Is this something you can burn off to a CD? I'll replace the CD and mail you a new one along with postage to get yours sent back to me.
I should be able to do that. The clip I have is from Skowron's at bat to the end of the inning. I can do it all or just edit it from the fan coming on the field.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I got the clip from a friend of mine but I found the entire game is available from Baseball Direct. Here's the link if you want the whole thing.

https://baseballdirect.com/product/b...-chicago-al-4/
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM
New At WSI

September 7, 1960 was the latest date in any year that the official temperature for Chicago reached 100 degrees.
Perhaps Sammy was feeling drained by the heat.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

RIP Sammy Esposito.