GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I understand that the wins and losses really donít matter in a rebuild but I canít see how this team is going to improve if these new players being counted on are still making the same fundamental poor baseball decisions weíre seeing on a daily basis. After all Anderson, Moncada, and others that are eventually coming up are supposed to at least baseball smart. I really have to ask myself whoís coaching and teaching these players? I have seen the Phillies, Braves, Astros, and Cubs put together rebuilds and I just see many more fundamental mistakes by Sox players which leads me to believe it has to be a organizational problem and needs to be addressed.
The fundamentals on this dysfunctional team of misfits has no bearing on success, or lack there of, in the 2019 and 2020 seasons or whether the rebuild is successful or not.

I am likely not the only one who feels that this team and its ugly losing is completely mutually exclusive to what we will see in 2019 and 2020.

On the other hand, I don't think the White Sox will be incredibly successful without replacing Rick Renteria. I just don't think he has the pedigree.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
The fundamentals on this dysfunctional team of misfits has no bearing on success, or lack there of, in the 2019 and 2020 seasons or whether the rebuild is successful or not.

I am likely not the only one who feels that this team and its ugly losing is completely mutually exclusive to what we will see in 2019 and 2020.

Why? Are those golden knights riding into to save the franchise fundamentally sound?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I'd rather build a winning culture based on fundamentals, effort and teamwork.

I am sorry, to me every season means something. There must be a improvement from year to year: a progression

There will be no pitchforks, just empty seats. BTW, I feel pretty good and my health is excellent.
Why? Because it is only baseball: a game.
That culture isn't on this team and won't ever be.

Was there a progression when the Astros had 3 straight 100 loss seasons. No. No progression, just miserable baseball. Year 2 of a complete teardown is vastly different from a progression of a team expected to start winning.

The progression I want to see resides in North Carolina and Alabama.

Well, that good. I can't say this about some other diehards who live and die with every win and loss.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Lip, the Russian word for "none" is not nyet. It is nikto.
Klaatu barada nikto...
Old 07-03-2018, 06:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I believe some of those thought to be integral to the championship core are struggling with the fundamentals, effort and my personal favorite excuse: focus.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

On the other hand, I don't think the White Sox will be incredibly successful without replacing Rick Renteria. I just don't think he has the pedigree.
Again with respect I have to say there are probably going to be four or five guys on this team right now who will be around in 2019, 2020, 2021 etc and they have some of the worst fundamentals on the team. Yet somehow they are going to "magically" get better, especially if no one is drumming it into their heads about how the game should be played today?

OK then...

And as Grzegorz pointed out who knows how the teaching of said fundamentals is going in North Carolina and Alabama...for all we know when these kids come up they may be just as bad...and that WILL cost the Sox games when they are supposed to be good.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Again with respect I have to say there are probably going to be four or five guys on this team right now who will be around in 2019, 2020, 2021 etc and they have some of the worst fundamentals on the team. Yet somehow they are going to "magically" get better, especially if no one is drumming it into their heads about how the game should be played today?

OK then...

And as Grzegorz pointed out who knows how the teaching of said fundamentals is going in North Carolina and Alabama...for all we know when these kids come up they may be just as bad...and that WILL cost the Sox games when they are supposed to be good.
And what if they have great fundamentals.

What is the point of worrying about this current team when the vast majority arenít going to be part of the rebuilt roster.

I understand the lack of a track record for this organization and being leery, I just donít understand the knashing of teeth every time there is an error or poorly executed play. A loss is still a loss. Iíll take ugly if it means a better chance at a successful draft. As White Sox fans, that is all we have right now.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Look, it is obvious to anyone who can see, the Sox are using the MLB as a development tool for some of the prospects. That is causing frustration among some of the natives here......

Old 07-04-2018, 12:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Lip, the Russian word for "none" is not nyet. It is nikto.
Since Chez is a Russian last name (cognate to the Polish Czyz meaning
finch), I'll take your word for it.

Just to regress to the topic, in the 8th inning, Davidson's gotta know "Its Gennett on 3rd base and he's really fast" before the at bat begins. Among other things.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:32 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
And what if they have great fundamentals.
That would be a very refreshing change from the **** we've seen since the last few years when Ozzie was managing through Ventura to today.

I'll also get down on my knees and say praises of thanks to the baseball gods if it comes to pass.

I'd be one happy camper.

I do agree with you on one important fact, it is prudent to be leery of this organization / front office. As JB has stated they have not earned the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:48 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I guess he thought he could get two, realized he couldn't and fired home for the force, but Omar thought the force was off... Comedy of Mistakes.

I was at the game, behind the Sox dugout about 15 rows back. In real time, I thought Davidson had stepped on first. I also remember thinking that was the correct play, get the easy second out, concede the run if you can't get the tag, and get the next batter with a 1 run lead. It's easy to say Narvaez should have known the force was still on after seeing all the replays in slo-mo, but perception in real time is not so straightforward.

I suppose Renteria could keep bringing Cedeno out in high leverage situations until his arm falls off, but that will greatly reduce his trade value. Yes, Volstead is a stiff who should never be in a high leverage situation, but the Sox bullpen doesn't have much depth after our few good pitchers are used multiple days in a row.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L