Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2018, 11:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Disagree *Official* Sox are officially eliminated from postseason contention September 5, 2018

Turn off the lights, the party's rebuilding...

A shellacking. Have at it.

All I ask is that no one clinches on our turf. PLEASE.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:34 PM
WSI Personality

I didn't watch. Just how bad was Kopech? 4 bombs?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 AM
WSI Personality

You have to tip your hat to the hitters, and figure this is one of the 60 games that every team is bound to lose, and move. I would like to see Kopech get a chance to pitch on a night with no rain delays, just once.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Turn off the lights, the party's rebuilding...

A shellacking. Have at it.

All I ask is that no one clinches on our turf. PLEASE.
Two teams will have a chance to do this. One will likely already have done so. But I cringe to think of what it could be like if the other one does...God help us. As if the last 3 years haven't been bad enough.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Appropriately, itís the Tigers who formally eliminate us.

Beating Boston and New York is nice, but given that the strength amassing in the East and West will monopolize the wild cards and thus our path to the playoffs is through winning the Central, itís crucial that next year we start regularly and consistently beating our divisional rivals.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
I didn't watch. Just how bad was Kopech? 4 bombs?
After the delay-

Hanging curveball that did nothing for the 2nd homer. He looked pissed that he got beat on an awful pitch, so he came back with all fastballs to the next batter, who sat on one up in the zone and cranked it.

I donít think the delay helped him, albeit a short one.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:59 AM
WSI Prelate

10 years since the Sox last made the playoffs. They'll exceed the playoff drought we had between 1983 and 1993. Also, I believe there are only 3 teams in MLB with a longer post-season drought.

I know we're in the midst of a rebuild now, being a bad team this year was a given, and we finally have a path forward and can see the light at the end of the tunnel......still, that's a LONG time to not make the playoffs in the 3 division/2 wild card era......and then Coop complains that fans need to support the team more.

As far as last night's game, not much to say. A clunker all around. Hopefully they resume their improved play moving forward for the rest of the month.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM
WSI Prelate

I was at the game last night. These days, with kids and little down time, coming to a game and being able to sit wherever I want and never having a line deeper than three people for anything is something I wonder why I ever complained about.

Also, there were at least five times a causal fly ball was screamed at like it was going to be a home run, so letís not pretend thatís confined to one stadium. Thatís just a live baseball game attendee thing.

Kopech was getting hit hard from the get go last night, with some rocket outs, too. He just didnít have it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I was at the game last night. These days, with kids and little down time, coming to a game and being able to sit wherever I want and never having a line deeper than three people for anything is something I wonder why I ever complained about.

Also, there were at least five times a causal fly ball was screamed at like it was going to be a home run, so letís not pretend thatís confined to one stadium. Thatís just a live baseball game attendee thing.

Kopech was getting hit hard from the get go last night, with some rocket outs, too. He just didnít have it.
His fastball was crisp to start the game but he wasn't locating it great. Breaking stuff looked best it's been since his recall. I thought he was fine early. But...after the rain delay, his fastball lost velocity and his breaking pitches weren't breaking. It's pretty obvious he shouldn't have come back out after sitting for half an hour, especially with a wet ball. You always want to see how a guy reacts to different situations, but I feel like here they were putting him in a situation where most people are going to fail.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM
WSI High Priest

We arenít the only ones frustrated this season

https://deadspin.com/report-detroit-...ter-1828855438

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
His fastball was crisp to start the game but he wasn't locating it great. Breaking stuff looked best it's been since his recall. I thought he was fine early. But...after the rain delay, his fastball lost velocity and his breaking pitches weren't breaking. It's pretty obvious he shouldn't have come back out after sitting for half an hour, especially with a wet ball. You always want to see how a guy reacts to different situations, but I feel like here they were putting him in a situation where most people are going to fail.
I've got no problem with Kopech going out there after the rain delay, even if the deck was stacked against him. At some point you need to challenge the kid. Hopefully he'll learn from the experience and be better because of it. Since apparently it rains 100% of the time that Kopech has a start at home, he's going to need to learn to deal with it eventually if he wants to last more than 3 innings per outing.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
We arenít the only ones frustrated this season

https://deadspin.com/report-detroit-...ter-1828855438
Yikes!

That makes the Hawk and Stone tension in past years look like a slumber party pillow fight.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:46 AM
WSI Personality

Was at the game last night and saw Kopech sitting 93-94 MPH during the game, hitting 95-96 occasionally. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but seems like he might be hitting a wall recently. We heard of him routinely being 98-102 in the minors, he's only topped at 98 since coming up. Then there was last night being 6-8 MPH slower than what he was in the minors. I'd like for them to skip his next start, or give him an extra day rest. Though, not sure this will help too much as his work load hasn't been to heavy since coming up, due to the two rain delay starts.

Seems like the book on him early, at least coming into this start, was that he is heavy on FBs. Hitters were sitting on that pitch, as because it was only mid 90s and poorly located, they pounded him. He can get away with bad location and not mixing pitches enough when throwing 98-102, but not mid 90s. He definitely adjusted and threw a lot more off-speed pitches later in the outing.

Wonder what discussion there has been on this. He's thrown the most innings of his career at this point.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

I agree that it looks like he's hitting a wall, though we'll know more with his next start.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Beating the Red Sox and losing to the Tigers is just part of the randomness of the 162 game season.
Year 2 of the rebuild is about up. All in on White Sox lifers Williams, Hahn and Hostetler, without any sort of timetable or expectations with consequences.