Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Someone summon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
Lol...sorry was responding on my phone..... haven't seen that in a long time....feel so guilty.
I went undercover and dealt with the situation.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I went undercover and dealt with the situation.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Give Madrigal (and Robert) this season at AA and then Charlotte- welcome to the bigs in April 2020.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It’s fine to slug only .400 if you have an OBP of .400 to go with it and play elite defense up the middle.

You can have a hitter like that in your lineup. The problem with the White Sox right now is that they have three of them. None of their sub-.400 slugging slap hitters get on base anywhere near a .400 clip, either.
Yes, if he had a lineup full of 5-10 HR a year guys, that would be a problem. I don't expect that to be the case long-term. Also, I expect Madrigal is going to be more than a run-of-the-mill slap hitter. His hitting skill looks to be elite. We're not talking about just another Yolmer here. I thought his defense was said to be GG-caliber, too.

Quote:
I know that those exact guys will not be here in the future, but I’m seeing some very discouraging signs that guys with those exact profiles will be the ones replacing them. Todd Steverson’s comments in particular have been very discouraging.
How do you mean? The guys we have in the pipeline seem to have a lot of power. Robert, Vaughn, Collins to go along with Anderson, Moncada, and Jimenez. What did Steverson say?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Give Madrigal (and Robert) this season at AA and then Charlotte- welcome to the bigs in April 2020.
Madrigal won't keep hitting .400+ so I'm completely okay with him getting more time with AA. I know I should be patient on Robert, but he looks ready today. I'd call him up right now.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I know that those exact guys will not be here in the future, but Iím seeing some very discouraging signs that guys with those exact profiles will be the ones replacing them. Todd Steversonís comments in particular have been very discouraging.

What signs are you seeing that are discouraging? Could you provide a link to Steverson's comments? Other than at 2B and maybe RF (player TBD) the projected future lineup looks to be full of players with above-average power potential.

C - McCann/Collins
1B - Vaughn
SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada
OF - Eloy/Robert
Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

The Athletic ranked him the 4th best 2nd base prospect in baseball.

https://theathletic.com/1046488/2019...s-in-baseball/
Old 06-26-2019, 01:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Here is one link to the Steverson comments, but he has said things like this more than once.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/4/...mplete-hitters
Old 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Good thing we don't have any more games against the Red Sox this year.

Otherwise we would see all of our minor leaguers (even the Great Falls crowd) up this year.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Here is one link to the Steverson comments, but he has said things like this more than once.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/4/...mplete-hitters
Since the article is more than a year old, I can only look at it for about 5 seconds before it asks me for a subscription. So, I couldn't get more than a quick glance at it.

What did he say that suggests he doesn't want guys to hit HRs or that our future lineup will be full of slap hitters?
Old 06-27-2019, 10:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Since the article is more than a year old, I can only look at it for about 5 seconds before it asks me for a subscription. So, I couldn't get more than a quick glance at it.

What did he say that suggests he doesn't want guys to hit HRs or that our future lineup will be full of slap hitters?
I too couldn't read the article, but the title suggested he prefers well-rounded hitters. So do I. I don't think the Sox need a team full of Daniel Palkas (2018 version), and that's not a very controversial take.

I'm still curious who, other than Madrigal, you think will be a no-power slap hitter that's holding back the lineup?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Madrigal needs conditioning and weight room time more than anything. He's isn't a traditional slap hitter, but slaps the ball for plate coverage. He has multiple approaches. The bigger issue is that his approach doesn't necessarily lend to more power or harder hit balls. So the best way to improve his outcomes involve strengthening. Otherwise, I think he could be an average outcome player in the league right now. I don't think bringing him up is rushing him, but he's a few years away from plus production.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I too couldn't read the article, but the title suggested he prefers well-rounded hitters. So do I. I don't think the Sox need a team full of Daniel Palkas (2018 version), and that's not a very controversial take.

I'm still curious who, other than Madrigal, you think will be a no-power slap hitter that's holding back the lineup?
We have to wait and see who fills out the OF. Is Eloy going to stick in LF? Who takes the spot currently manned by Tilson and Cordell? We canít go forward with Eloy (or Robert, if Eloy is moved to DH) being the only OF who hits for power. Honestly, since Robert looks like he can stick in CF, we really should be getting power from all 3 OF spots. Instead of looking at plus-power from C and CF as a hedge that allows a guy with minus-power to play a corner OF spot, we should be looking to double down and play to our parkís advantages.

And Iím totally with you on Daniel Palka. I will go even further and say that I donít even want to see him get another chance up here, as takes the O out of OPS. If weíre being honest with ourselves and not allowing personal like or dislike to cloud our judgment, Abreu makes too many outs as well.

Still, Iím never going to be taking a .320 hitter who hits 10-15 home runs over a .250 hitter who hits 30-35 home runs, just to adhere to some antiquated sense of ďbalancing the lineup.Ē
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
We have to wait and see who fills out the OF. Is Eloy going to stick in LF? Who takes the spot currently manned by Tilson and Cordell? We canít go forward with Eloy (or Robert, if Eloy is moved to DH) being the only OF who hits for power. Honestly, since Robert looks like he can stick in CF, we really should be getting power from all 3 OF spots. Instead of looking at plus-power from C and CF as a hedge that allows a guy with minus-power to play a corner OF spot, we should be looking to double down and play to our parkís advantages.

And Iím totally with you on Daniel Palka. I will go even further and say that I donít even want to see him get another chance up here, as takes the O out of OPS. If weíre being honest with ourselves and not allowing personal like or dislike to cloud our judgment, Abreu makes too many outs as well.

Still, Iím never going to be taking a .320 hitter who hits 10-15 home runs over a .250 hitter who hits 30-35 home runs, just to adhere to some antiquated sense of ďbalancing the lineup.Ē
I agree on Palka- he's a platoon DH at best vs. RHP- no real position in the field.

I like Rutherford as the best candidate to take the 3rd OF spot based on how the prospects are showing up right now- maybe Walker as he's coming on at WS right now. Neither is showing any ability to hit LHP- so may need to need a platoon partner- at least for a few seasons.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Well it depends on how many walks you get from either of those types of hitters. Mark Trumbo was exactly a .250 hitter with 30-35 homers, but barely walked. Would take .320 and 10-15 over him any day of the week.