GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Well, if the the highlight reel is supposed to be nothing but a players best plays then yes. However, there are many scouting videos out there that show more than just best plays.
Bingo.

Also, I'd imagine those videos of Madrigal hitting a duck snort and an infield hit for W-S in 2018 that are available online are more likely game highlights for MiLB.com (since he drove in runs in those at bats) and not a collection of the best contact Madrigal has ever made in at bats.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Bingo.

Also, I'd imagine those videos of Madrigal hitting a duck snort and an infield hit for W-S in 2018 that are available online are more likely game highlights for MiLB.com (since he drove in runs in those at bats) and not a collection of the best contact Madrigal has ever made in at bats.
We also don't know what if anything Nick was working on in that batting practice video. It might be that he was facing a certain type of pitcher and wanted to work on making contact on those types of pitches or working on inside out hitting or any number of other things. Not every batting practice is for this:

And the fact we glorify HR contests in batting practice belittles the fact that players use that time to work on specific things regularly and they don't always look great when doing so.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You see what you want to see.
Absolutely. The thing is, I can't for the life of me, understand why a Sox fan would want so badly to see failure in an up-and-coming prospect.

Do I have reservations about Madrigal's ability to hit for enough pop to be a plus player for us? Sure. But, I can also see that he has some elite tools, too. A handful of youtube videos (some from 2018) aren't scientific enough for me to draw any conclusions.

Also, do other fanbases have fans that see that spectacular over-the-shoulder throw from short to first by a top prospect and dismiss it as a lollipop throw? Please tell me this isn't just a Sox fanbase thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
His contact can't be that awful if he hit .333 in AAA last year.
....and have a .822 OPS. Surely that wasn't accomplished primarily by beating out infield squibblers and having a few duck snorts drop in for a hit.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2003
Old 02-06-2020, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Absolutely. The thing is, I can't for the life of me, understand why a Sox fan would want so badly to see failure in an up-and-coming prospect.
Sunk cost fallacy
"Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort). This fallacy, which is related to loss aversion and status quo bias, can also be viewed as bias resulting from an ongoing commitment."

Please note that I am not commenting on any particular poster on this thread. But there are some posters that are so invested in their dislike of Reinsdorf, Williams, Hahn, Renteria, etc. that they fall into the above behavior.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-06-2020, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Sunk cost fallacy
"Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort). This fallacy, which is related to loss aversion and status quo bias, can also be viewed as bias resulting from an ongoing commitment."

Please note that I am not commenting on any particular poster on this thread. But there are some posters that are so invested in their dislike of Reinsdorf, Williams, Hahn, Renteria, etc. that they fall into the above behavior.
Not so fast on Hahn and Renteria. Neither of them have proven a thing.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Not so fast on Hahn and Renteria. Neither of them have proven a thing.
Agreed. Just saying that there are some that find the negative with every single thing they do regardless of the outcome.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Multiple reports that Madrigal has added some muscle this offseason- young players can change relatively quickly (skill level and still maturing physically), if some extra muscle and training adds a little pop to Madrigal's game I think we'll have a great piece to our championship puzzle- great kid, great glove, speed, fundamentals, contact rate- should be a great complement to an infield of Moncada, Anderson, Abreu/Vaughn over the next few years.

We're building a baseball team not a fantasy team.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
We also don't know what if anything Nick was working on in that batting practice video. It might be that he was facing a certain type of pitcher and wanted to work on making contact on those types of pitches or working on inside out hitting or any number of other things. Not every batting practice is for this:

And the fact we glorify HR contests in batting practice belittles the fact that players use that time to work on specific things regularly and they don't always look great when doing so.
Best player I ever played with took BP calling his shot around the diamond.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/vi...first-year-pro

Good video of all the types of ABs he gives you. Seriously, his determination not to strikeout is crazy. He rips liners on his pitch and hunkers down with two strikes and puts the ball in play into tough areas where you have to make a good play on his speed. Oh yeah, he also slashed 351/438/403 with 2 out RISP, and that just shows his situational acuteness as well as his talent at the dish.

Some people live by simulations that simply use past numbers on projections that regularly go especially wrong for kids, let alone one like him who doesnít toss up those exciting HR #s. I like watching the game played and see a guy who people are selling vastly short on overall impact.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Podcast interview with Nick Madrigal:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...eady-right-now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Multiple reports that Madrigal has added some muscle this offseason- young players can change relatively quickly (skill level and still maturing physically), if some extra muscle and training adds a little pop to Madrigal's game I think we'll have a great piece to our championship puzzle- great kid, great glove, speed, fundamentals, contact rate- should be a great complement to an infield of Moncada, Anderson, Abreu/Vaughn over the next few years.

We're building a baseball team not a fantasy team.
He mentions this at the start of the podcast interview.