White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yep. Checks my location every single time.
Me too. I can never watch Sox/Rangers or Sox/Astros on MLB.tv because they are usually, but not always, carried on the Fox Sports affiliates through DirecTV and local cable.

Frank Thomas: the best Sox player there was, and the best Sox player there ever will be! No doubt about it!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

If I lived locally in Chicago, I would definitely think twice about it. I am going to watch the Sox vs. Angels in early September, but it's a one-off; going mostly for the experience (first time there in 10 years).
Old 06-18-2018, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I could not agree more. These two things alone would speed up the game enough that people might not care at all about the strikeouts and balls in play. Add to it possibly computerizing the calls of balls and strikes, and we're all set. Home plate ump is there only to make safe/out calls, foul ball calls, and enforce the pitch clock and batters' box.

Three easy things, two of which are not even changes, but just enforcement.

Seems simple, which is why it won't work/happen.
Agreed. All of those recommendations donít change the fundamental nature of baseball.

Continuing to argue that baseball is better with imperfect - and often wrong/biased humans who carry grudges - calling balls and strikes is really a Luddite position, IMHO.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I worked in NC the last 3 years- had a corporate apartment in Winston Salem- with basic cable- they carried the Braves and the Reds- but did not feature the Nationals or Orioles which made it even more ludicrous.
Yep this was my exact experience while living in New Bern and Jacksonville for 6 years. Games weren't on TV and couldn't watch due to blackout restrictions.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-18-2018, 04:53 PM
WSI Personality

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I get a No Hitter alert on my phone everyday. That's way too much.

Baseball needs more balls hit in play more often. I'm tired of all the K's.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 PM
WSI Regular

Crash Davis: Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Right, but why would CSN offer the Sox millions of dollars for exclusive broadcast rights if fans can simply stream the games online at will? As cord-cutting becomes ever more popular they have to do something to hold on to their subscription base. Exclusive content is a major part of that draw,
What I don't understand is when you stream the games on Mlb.tv, by and large they don't play the commercials from the local broadcast. I understand that if it's only being shown to people outside the broadcast area then they may think that there is no relevance for local commercials. But I think in general people that are watching the Sox games from outside the Chicago area are from Chicago originally or at least visit Chicago. If they removed the blackout rules on mlb.tv and played the commercials that would be on the regular CSN then it wouldn't really matter if it were local CSN or national streaming on MLB.tv. It's still being broadcast as CSN.

I just don't get it....this is not rocket science.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

In House baseball is wrapping up but travel baseball doesn't end until early to mid July. These are kids that want to watch baseball, so once their schedules free up more families with kids will go.

But at $50 a ticket for ok seats I don't blame anyone for not going.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:42 PM
WSI Prelate

It's not just the Florida teams and poor performing teams with attendance problems. Look at Cleveland's on-field success
2016: 94-67, AL Pennant, one game away from WS title
2017: 102-60
2018: to date: 40-33, 5.0 game lead in ALC

Now look at their attendance for a very exciting team:
2016: 1.59M
2017: 2.05M
2018: on pace for 1.67M

Ouch. Pretty mediocre turnout for a team with such on-field success and for a franchise that not all that long ago boasted 455 consecutive sellouts. Is rising cost of going to a game the main issue there?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:07 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Ouch. Pretty mediocre turnout for a team with such on-field success and for a franchise that not all that long ago boasted 455 consecutive sellouts. Is rising cost of going to a game the main issue there?

I think the fact that the Cleveland-Elyria MSA is ranked # 33 in the USA has more to do with it.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 PM
WSI Personality

My argument has always been ticket prices. Yes, technology does make it easier to sit at home, but going to a pro game is just too damn expensive. If you have a family - forget it.

The Sox are learning with reduced ticket prices and lower parking fees. Need to expand this to more of the seats. I was there last night - nearly 20K on a Wed night. Dollar dogs didn't hurt either.

We have seen a huge increase with new independent league parks sprouting up everywhere to give families an opportunity to catch a game in person. Do you really think they care about the team?

I remember in the 1990's the Sox had a turn back the clock promotion with all tickets going for $1 or so. Of course this got my attention so a buddy and I went up to the game. The team sucked that year, so we thought we'd be able to get in easy. Nope. About a mile or so out on the Ryan, the traffic became chaotic, and we found out over the radio the game was a sell-out - like an hour before first pitch. Cops were turning us away.

That was eye-opening. I know you have to make money paying all those players the big coin, but the more people you can draw in the park, the more they buy food, jerseys, hats, etc. Oh yeah, you also build fans for life...quaint idea.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
My argument has always been ticket prices. Yes, technology does make it easier to sit at home, but going to a pro game is just too damn expensive. If you have a family - forget it.

The Sox are learning with reduced ticket prices and lower parking fees. Need to expand this to more of the seats. I was there last night - nearly 20K on a Wed night. Dollar dogs didn't hurt either.

We have seen a huge increase with new independent league parks sprouting up everywhere to give families an opportunity to catch a game in person. Do you really think they care about the team?

I remember in the 1990's the Sox had a turn back the clock promotion with all tickets going for $1 or so. Of course this got my attention so a buddy and I went up to the game. The team sucked that year, so we thought we'd be able to get in easy. Nope. About a mile or so out on the Ryan, the traffic became chaotic, and we found out over the radio the game was a sell-out - like an hour before first pitch. Cops were turning us away.

That was eye-opening. I know you have to make money paying all those players the big coin, but the more people you can draw in the park, the more they buy food, jerseys, hats, etc. Oh yeah, you also build fans for life...quaint idea.
The Turn Back the Clock promotion was unveiled in July 1990 vs. Milwaukee. 1990 was a fantastic year, 94 wins. They shocked the baseball world.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM
WSI High Priest

If you have a family, even small children who aren't even into sports, Family Sundays is the way to go. I haven't made it to a game this year, but hoping to eventually. Just been too busy or weather wasn't nice.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

Tickets and concessions are too expensive, they've made the decision that they want the corporate entertainment money over baseball fans'

Last time I went to a game, it felt like I was endlessly watching pitchers warm up - the watchability of the product has taken a hit with the advent of 'advanced' analytics and managers that now manage by stats imo
Old 06-29-2018, 06:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The Turn Back the Clock promotion was unveiled in July 1990 vs. Milwaukee. 1990 was a fantastic year, 94 wins. They shocked the baseball world.
The also had a Turn Back the Clock game in 1995, when they won 68 games. That might be the one the poster was referring to.