White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Baseball America has ranked the Sox farm system as 4th overall:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-...ional-rankings.

The Sun Times article also lists BA's Top 20 in the Sox system. Notably absent from the list is Basabe. However, OFs Bryce Bush, James Beard, Anderson Comas, and Luis Mieses do make the top 20.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Here's the link:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

Also the link to MLBPipeline's Top 30 for the Sox:
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=cws
Since there's been a bit of consternation about Nick Madrigal's lack of power, here's part of what MLB Pipeline says about him:

Quote:
He's small and doesn't have a lot of raw strength, but his ability to barrel the ball and his plus speed should produce a healthy amount of doubles and maybe 12-15 homers per season.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:01 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Stiever has been a great success story this year. It looks like he's finally getting noticed. Also nice to see Codi Heuer make the list. He's had a promising season after being drafted in the 6th round last year. I haven't heard much about Luis Meises, who is #30 on the list.

Hopefully some of the talent on the AZL and DSL teams start to break through as they move their way up. Players like Benyamin Bailey, DJ Gladney, and Ronaldo Guzman.

Agreed about Beard. I wonder what they see in him to rank him a top 30 over other players?

Walker's ranking does seem a bit high to me, too. My hope is that at least one of Rutherford, Basabe, Walker, Gonzalez, or Adolfo can become a good OF in the majors. I'm not sold on any one of them, but maybe at least one of the five will break through.
What do you see in Beard? Do you see anything in Beard? For example, have you seen Beard play? They're probably ranking him based on tools, and if you're talking about ranking the 30th best prospects in a system, you're going a lot on scouting reports and projection for these 18 year olds.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
What do you see in Beard? Do you see anything in Beard? For example, have you seen Beard play? They're probably ranking him based on tools, and if you're talking about ranking the 30th best prospects in a system, you're going a lot on scouting reports and projection for these 18 year olds.

I don't know a lot about him other than what I've read.....that's why I said "I wonder what they see in him to rank him a top 30 over other players?"
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Dash had the night off

Barons won 6-2

Madrigal 1/4
Basabe 1/4 R
Rutherford 1/4 HR R RBI
Sheets 1/4 HR R RBI
Forbes 1/4 2B R RBI
Gonzales 2/4 HR 2B 2 RBI R CS

Parke 7.0 IP 3 H 0 BB 0 R 5 K
Luis Martinez 1.0 IP 1 2 ER 2 BB HR (Guy is not having a great season in AA but he's got 50 K in 45 IP so who knows?)

Kannapolis won 4-0
Sosa 0/4 BB Vaughn 0/3 HBP R
Nunez 1/3 BB HR R RBI

Bilous 6.0 IP 2 H 2 BB 5 K 81 P (hasn't given up an ER in his last 3 outings.)
Wilber Perez 3.0 IP H BB 3 K

Charlotte wonj 6-5 Anderson DNP I assume he'll be back on Tuesday and that will be the move the Sox make to replace Covey.

Robert 1/4 RBI
Mendick 1/4 R 2B
Mercedes playing 3B 1/4 HR R 2 RBI
Collins 0/4

Thompson got the BS and the W 2.0 IP 2 H 1 ER 2 K

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Dash had the night off

Barons won 6-2

Madrigal 1/4
Basabe 1/4 R
Rutherford 1/4 HR R RBI
Sheets 1/4 HR R RBI
Forbes 1/4 2B R RBI
Gonzales 2/4 HR 2B 2 RBI R CS

Parke 7.0 IP 3 H 0 BB 0 R 5 K
Luis Martinez 1.0 IP 1 2 ER 2 BB HR (Guy is not having a great season in AA but he's got 50 K in 45 IP so who knows?)

Kannapolis won 4-0
Sosa 0/4 BB Vaughn 0/3 HBP R
Nunez 1/3 BB HR R RBI

Bilous 6.0 IP 2 H 2 BB 5 K 81 P (hasn't given up an ER in his last 3 outings.)
Wilber Perez 3.0 IP H BB 3 K

Charlotte wonj 6-5 Anderson DNP I assume he'll be back on Tuesday and that will be the move the Sox make to replace Covey.

Robert 1/4 RBI
Mendick 1/4 R 2B
Mercedes playing 3B 1/4 HR R 2 RBI
Collins 0/4

Thompson got the BS and the W 2.0 IP 2 H 1 ER 2 K
After Stiever, the starters whose stock has risen the most this year may be Parke and Bilous. If nothing else, they are on the cusp of our Top 30, and potential trade bait.

VERY nice to see Rutherford, Sheets and Gonzalez homer in the same game.

Vaughn is in a slump at Kanny.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
After Stiever, the starters whose stock has risen the most this year may be Parke and Bilous. If nothing else, they are on the cusp of our Top 30, and potential trade bait.

VERY nice to see Rutherford, Sheets and Gonzalez homer in the same game.

Vaughn is in a slump at Kanny.

Sheets is slashing .331/.403/.554 in 33 games since the AA all-star break. He now has 13 HRs on the season, which is more than double last year's total.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't know a lot about him other than what I've read.....that's why I said "I wonder what they see in him to rank him a top 30 over other players?"
He has one tool that can't be taught, doesn't require any development, and is already as elite as it gets. So he's got a head start over every other player. His bat is apparently very raw, but has potential for power. Or it might never develop. He's a high-risk, high-reward type player.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Sheets is slashing .331/.403/.554 in 33 games since the AA all-star break. He now has 13 HRs on the season, which is more than double last year's total.
Barring injury or some massive slump, Sheets should start 2020 at Charlotte, and its likely his power will play up there. At that point, hes a candidate for mid-season promotion to Chicago, yes? It sure would be nice to have a home-grown LH power threat so we can stop this decade-long treadmill of Moncada hitting cleanup, cycling through reclamation projects like Palka and Reed, and the turnstile of declining veterans like Dunn, LaRoche, and Alonso.

Im not saying Sheets will become a perennial silver slugger, but a .270 AVG with 30 doubles and 30 homers is not out of the question, and would be a marked improvement over what weve gotten out of the DH slot since Thome left. I think its reasonable that he and Vaughn would share 1B/DH duties and occupy two slots in the middle of the order for a good long time.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I’m not saying Sheets will become a perennial silver slugger, but a .270 AVG with 30 doubles and 30 homers is not out of the question, and would be a marked improvement over what we’ve gotten out of the DH slot since Thome left. I think it’s reasonable that he and Vaughn would share 1B/DH duties and occupy two slots in the middle of the order for a good long time.
Is he a good first baseman? If so, play him at first or trade him for pitching. DH diminishes the value of someone who can play a position.
I wouldn't move him to Charlotte unless they think he's just a couple of months away from the majors. Based on the way "everyone hits at Charlotte" we'll be hearing the "they're holding him back' stuff almost immediately.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Is he a good first baseman? If so, play him at first or trade him for pitching. DH diminishes the value of someone who can play a position.
I wouldn't move him to Charlotte unless they think he's just a couple of months away from the majors. Based on the way "everyone hits at Charlotte" we'll be hearing the "they're holding him back' stuff almost immediately.
They also have Vaughn who is projected to arrive close to the same time. The two of them can only DH/1B so they are going to have to split time or the Sox can always trade Sheets - I don't think they will trade Vaughn.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

Quote:
They also have Vaughn who is projected to arrive close to the same time. The two of them can only DH/1B so they are going to have to split time or the Sox can always trade Sheets - I don't think they will trade Vaughn.
But if Sheets is good, why trade him at all? It’s not like we’re going to get a top of the rotation starter for a first baseman, and it’s not like the Sox have any other LH power bats coming through the system, other than Collins (who doesn’t hit for average and strikes out half time time against LHP), and it’s not like the Sox have been successful at identifying and signing LH bats since Robin Ventura and Harold Baines. (Everett and Thome were acquired by trade and we paid a hefty price for Thome.)

Provided he’s earned it, promote him to Chicago in mid-2020, and let him share 1B/DH duties with Abreu. In 2021, Vaughn replaces Abreu. Problem solved. Holes filled. A cheap, cost-controlled middle of the order lets the Sox devote resources to starting pitching and locking up Moncada.

I understand that the Sox have numerous LH or switch hitting OFs in the system - Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, Basabe - who might be able to slot into RF, but none of them under even the most optimistic projections profile to be middle-of-the-order power threats. Again, Collins is there, but his splits indicate he’s going to struggle mightily against LHP and should therefore be platooned.

If you can get back a legit starting pitcher for Sheets, do it. Or if you think his value has peaked and he’s going to decline, then sure, trade him. But if not, just enjoy middle-of-the-order LH power from your second round draft pick and enjoy the fact that he and Vaughn can each handle 1B well.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
But if Sheets is good, why trade him at all? Its not like were going to get a top of the rotation starter for a first baseman, and its not like the Sox have any other LH power bats coming through the system, other than Collins (who doesnt hit for average and strikes out half time time against LHP), and its not like the Sox have been successful at identifying and signing LH bats since Robin Ventura and Harold Baines. (Everett and Thome were acquired by trade and we paid a hefty price for Thome.)

Provided hes earned it, promote him to Chicago in mid-2020, and let him share 1B/DH duties with Abreu. In 2021, Vaughn replaces Abreu. Problem solved. Holes filled. A cheap, cost-controlled middle of the order lets the Sox devote resources to starting pitching and locking up Moncada.

I understand that the Sox have numerous LH or switch hitting OFs in the system - Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, Basabe - who might be able to slot into RF, but none of them under even the most optimistic projections profile to be middle-of-the-order power threats. Again, Collins is there, but his splits indicate hes going to struggle mightily against LHP and should therefore be platooned.

If you can get back a legit starting pitcher for Sheets, do it. Or if you think his value has peaked and hes going to decline, then sure, trade him. But if not, just enjoy middle-of-the-order LH power from your second round draft pick and enjoy the fact that he and Vaughn can each handle 1B well.
I'm okay with that too. Just a thought since they might be overloaded with 1B who can hit depending on what Burger does when he comes back.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm okay with that too. Just a thought since they might be overloaded with 1B who can hit depending on what Burger does when he comes back.
Understood and agreed.

It would be great to have that kind of logjam. If Burger does come back and he does start mashing, he might be the one that gets dealt because of his ability to play 3B and because we have Moncada.

Also, its not the worst thing in the world to have the kind of depth where you have prospects mashing at Charlotte who are blocked by young players who are producing in Chicago. Given Moncadas propensity to need a brief DL stint or two each year so far, keeping Burger in Charlotte for an option year or two while we figure out what to do about a potential logjam is not the worst outcome.

In other words, after so many years of seeing the Sox be at least one bat short, Id welcome a situation where we have too many hitters. I wouldnt hoard hitters if we had a gaping hole in the rotation or bullpen, of course, but Id rather spend excess on our terms rather than go looking for a buyer for our surplus.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm not sure if they can count on Burger any longer at this point though that remains to be seen. But I'm actually kind of giddy at the thought of a DH-rotation consisting of 2 elite bats (Eloy, Vaughn) and 1 really-good bat (Sheets). That's if Sheets can keep it up, of course.

That's also where Leury Garcia is really valuable as your bench guy as he can fill in at LF without a problem.