White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 01:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The season is over for all Sox farm teams except Great Falls. How did our noteworthy prospects do? This is just off the top of my head - not an in depth analysis by any means. Let me know if I missed anyone or if you think players should be ranked otherwise. I didn't include 2019 draft picks.

Successful year:
Robert - complete turnaround from a disappointing 2018. See you in mid-April.
Madrigal - drafted only last year and he finished out the year hitting .331 with a .822 OPS over 29 games at AAA.
Stiever - Outstanding year for the 2018 5th round pick.
Collins - huge turnaround in offense after demotion back to AAA.
Sheets - looked pretty good once he got adjusted to AA. Power finally starting to show.
Walker - slumped a bit in July, but had good numbers in June and August.
Flores - pitched well when not injured. Missed over 2 months with oblique injury
Others: McClure, Mendick, Heuer, Mercedes, Sousa, Sosa

Mixed results:
Rutherford - very slow start at AA. Like Walker: good June, slumped in July and rebounded in Aug. Still lacks power, but is also still young for his level.
L. Gonzalez - his progress stalled somewhat this year. Turns 24 next week.
Pilkington - looked good at times, but also struggled at times.

Disappointing:
Basabe - Didn't show much and missed a lot of time with injuries. 1 more option year left
Adolfo - missed almost entire season due to elbow surgery
Burdi - struggled in return from TJS. Only 19 IP before going down with another season-ending injury.
Fulmer - time is just about up for this 8th overall pick.
Hansen - 2nd lousy season in a row after stellar 2017
Bryce Bush - injured and struggled offensively. But, still only 19.

Injured:
Dunning, Lambert: TJS
Burger - 2nd full season missed. Might be tough to come back from that.
You left off Vaughn who would go in the "mixed results" group. I also think you're being a bit generous with Rutherford and Gonzalez, but I agree they belong a tier above everyone in your "disappointing" list. Maybe there should be a separate category for "Incomplete", for guys like Basabe, Adolfo, Burdi, and Bush who technically played this season, but their seasons were still defined by injuries.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
You left off Vaughn who would go in the "mixed results" group. I also think you're being a bit generous with Rutherford and Gonzalez, but I agree they belong a tier above everyone in your "disappointing" list. Maybe there should be a separate category for "Incomplete", for guys like Basabe, Adolfo, Burdi, and Bush who technically played this season, but their seasons were still defined by injuries.
Why would Vaughn be in the "mixed results" group?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 09-04-2019, 01:55 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The season is over for all Sox farm teams except Great Falls. How did our noteworthy prospects do? This is just off the top of my head - not an in depth analysis by any means. Let me know if I missed anyone or if you think players should be ranked otherwise. I didn't include 2019 draft picks.

Successful year:
Robert - complete turnaround from a disappointing 2018. See you in mid-April.
Madrigal - drafted only last year and he finished out the year hitting .331 with a .822 OPS over 29 games at AAA.
Stiever - Outstanding year for the 2018 5th round pick.
Collins - huge turnaround in offense after demotion back to AAA.
Sheets - looked pretty good once he got adjusted to AA. Power finally starting to show.
Walker - slumped a bit in July, but had good numbers in June and August.
Flores - pitched well when not injured. Missed over 2 months with oblique injury
Others: McClure, Mendick, Heuer, Mercedes, Sousa, Sosa

Mixed results:
Rutherford - very slow start at AA. Like Walker: good June, slumped in July and rebounded in Aug. Still lacks power, but is also still young for his level.
L. Gonzalez - his progress stalled somewhat this year. Turns 24 next week.
Pilkington - looked good at times, but also struggled at times.

Disappointing:
Basabe - Didn't show much and missed a lot of time with injuries. 1 more option year left
Adolfo - missed almost entire season due to elbow surgery
Burdi - struggled in return from TJS. Only 19 IP before going down with another season-ending injury.
Fulmer - time is just about up for this 8th overall pick.
Hansen - 2nd lousy season in a row after stellar 2017
Bryce Bush - injured and struggled offensively. But, still only 19.

Injured:
Dunning, Lambert: TJS
Burger - 2nd full season missed. Might be tough to come back from that.
I would make a few changes to your 2019 White Sox minor league player assessments.

I would drop Walker and Sheets to mixed results. Walker hit .269 with an OPS of .771 at WS. Not bad, but only okay. Sheets hit .267 with an OPS of .759 at Birmingham. Again, not bad but okay. Walker's 26 doubles and Sheets' 83 RBI were pretty good.

I would drop Rutherford And Luis Gonzalez to disappointing. Rutherford hit .265 with a light OPS of .684 and L. Gonzalez hit .247 with an OPS of .675, both at Birmingham. I would add Laz Rivera to the Birmingham disappointments hitting .248 with an anemic OPS of .605.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I didn't include 2019 draft picks. I didn't want to get into a debate about how meaningful a prospect's numbers are in the 2 months max they play after being drafted. So, that means I also excluded players like DJ Gladney and Avery Weems who both put up good numbers this year.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 PM
WSI Prelate

...and fair point about Rutherford and Gonzalez....especially Gonzalez, who is almost 2 years older that Rutherford. If Rutherford has to repeat AA....well he's actually younger than Steele Walker and will only be starting his options clock next year. So, it doesn't mean he's finished as a prospect by any means - he still has time.

I can see Walker belonging more in the mixed results category than "successful". I guess we'll see what he does in AA next year.

However, I still like what I saw from Gavin Sheets. Despite the overall numbers, he was generally trending upwards the entire season as opposed to being hot and cold all year. I believe his K and BB rates were pretty good, too.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI Personality

Sheets's development was certainly encouraging this year.

Season: .267/.345/.414 OPS .759

He had a bad April and a mediocre May, but then he really heated up in June and July and slashed .310/.390/.500 with an .890 OPS. He regressed a bit in August but was still above average overall. His power and walk rates increased.

I don't see Sheets as a future all star but more of a serviceable 1B.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with dropping Walker to "mixed results" and Gonzalez to "disappointing".

I'd keep Rutherford at "mixed". With prospects moving up to another level, there is often an adjustment period. So, what's more telling to me is how they did after the first 6 weeks or so. But, I can see where someone would rank his season lower.

I'm okay with calling Sheets's season a "success"...especially when you look at his 2nd half numbers.

On the whole, good steps forward this year by a number key rebuild pieces both in the minors and on the major league roster.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM
WSI Personality

I agree, overall it was pretty good. I knew some players wouldn't be able to keep it up as they progressed. But it still sucks that Hansen fell off a cliff and never truly recovered. I honestly thought he could be the next Greinke after his 2017 season.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post

On the whole, good steps forward this year by a number key rebuild pieces both in the minors and on the major league roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I agree, overall it was pretty good. I knew some players wouldn't be able to keep it up as they progressed. But it still sucks that Hansen fell off a cliff and never truly recovered. I honestly thought he could be the next Greinke after his 2017 season.
Agreed. TA, Moncada, Giolito, Robert, Madrigal, Collins all took huge steps forward this year. Jimenez didn't set the world on fire, but is making progress toward being a premier bat. Cease struggled, but looks like he has dynamite stuff and 2019 was a good year for him to learn on the job. That's a lot of core players there.

Overall, good year for the rebuild despite some failures (Hansen) and injuries (Dunning, Kopech).
Old 09-05-2019, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

MLB Pipeline just announced their hitter of the year.

It's Luis Robert.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Why would Vaughn be in the "mixed results" group?
Where else would you put him? He didn't set the world on fire, but that's understandable in 2 months of action at the end of a long season. Definitely not a disappointment either as he made it up to high A quickly, and hopefully will turn in a successful first full season next year.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Where else would you put him? He didn't set the world on fire, but that's understandable in 2 months of action at the end of a long season. Definitely not a disappointment either as he made it up to high A quickly, and hopefully will turn in a successful first full season next year.
I think you answered your own question. He hasnít been around long enough to say one way or another.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I would make a few changes to your 2019 White Sox minor league player assessments.

I would drop Walker and Sheets to mixed results. Walker hit .269 with an OPS of .771 at WS. Not bad, but only okay. Sheets hit .267 with an OPS of .759 at Birmingham. Again, not bad but okay. Walker's 26 doubles and Sheets' 83 RBI were pretty good.

I would drop Rutherford And Luis Gonzalez to disappointing. Rutherford hit .265 with a light OPS of .684 and L. Gonzalez hit .247 with an OPS of .675, both at Birmingham. I would add Laz Rivera to the Birmingham disappointments hitting .248 with an anemic OPS of .605.
I really didn't consider Rivera a legit prospect to begin with. He's a 28th round pick who played way over his head last year. This year is likely him coming back down to earth.

On the other hand, perhaps we can add Danny Mendick to the list of successes. He's hardly a blue chip prospect either. But heck, he played very well in AAA this year and has had a nice first couple of games in the majors. Maybe he can become a future utility player on a good MLB team in the future.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's what Getz says about what Robert and Madrigal need to work on:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...igal-have-work

Also, Garfien interviews Andrew Vaughn in this podcast. Vaughn threw out the first pitch for last night's game and was in the booth with Benetti and Stone for a half inning.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...-andrew-vaughn

EDIT: plus a podcast interview with Getz:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...and-whats-next
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
perhaps we can add Danny Mendick to the list of successes
A 22nd round pick making the majors at all is a success.