White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Getz comments on radio (July 15)

Caught Chris Getz on The Score this morning. After they got done gushing about the future of Robert (Getz would not give a definite answer to the question "will we see him up here in 2019?") they asked who was impressing the organization outside the usual Robert/Madrigal/Vaughn/Cease, etc. crowd.

He said Jonathan Stiever is attracting serious notice from the organization. They feel he is an under the radar prospect who has started to show some serious promise.

He also said they got good new about Jake Burger last week, his recovery progress is positive and they are pleased with it at this time.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Why did you Roadhouse your own thread?

Edit: Fixed now I see...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why did you Roadhouse your own thread?
I hate Mondays.

Moved to the right place, just started in the wrong place......
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Very interested to see Steiver as he rises to higher levels. These college arms can often look great in the low minors and then hit their ceiling. But of course, there are exceptions. Hoping he's an exception.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Very interested to see Steiver as he rises to higher levels. These college arms can often look great in the low minors and then hit their ceiling. But of course, there are exceptions. Hoping he's an exception.
Well as long as he is throwing strikes and still has a feel for his breaking ball, his 92-98 MPH FB and spike curve will carry him through the minors. Will all depend on consistency and how his change develops.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Stiever's numbers have improved after moving up from Kannapolis to W-S this year. As a 5th round pick, he may be a dark horse candidate to make it to the majors and I understand that many pitchers look great at the lower levels only to fizzle out by the time they get to AAA let alone the majors. But, it would be nice if the Sox found at least one hidden gem out of their recent batch of pitching prospects that can rise up to success in the majors. Maybe Stiever will be that guy. I'm interested in seeing how Kade McClure progresses, too.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Stiever's numbers have improved after moving up from Kannapolis to W-S this year. As a 5th round pick, he may be a dark horse candidate to make it to the majors and I understand that many pitchers look great at the lower levels only to fizzle out by the time they get to AAA let alone the majors. But, it would be nice if the Sox found at least one hidden gem out of their recent batch of pitching prospects that can rise up to success in the majors. Maybe Stiever will be that guy. I'm interested in seeing how Kade McClure progresses, too.
My vote? Bernardo Flores. He throws strikes, generates weak contact, and has a really good changeup.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
My vote? Bernardo Flores. He throws strikes, generates weak contact, and has a really good changeup.

Hopefully he's back in action soon. He's been out since May 28 with an oblique strain. Looking at last night's affiliate action, it looks like he's now on a rehab assignment with the AZ team.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
These college arms can often look great in the low minors and then hit their ceiling.
Why? As a general rule? Perhaps too many innings pitched at the collegiate level?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why? As a general rule? Perhaps too many innings pitched at the collegiate level?
87 MPH Fastball is fine for college. It won't cut it in the pros though.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
As Voodo said, it's often lack of pure stuff. Their profile generally allowed them to stay in school to pump up draft stock one more time. So they may not have the most interesting arm, but they know how to get younger guys out. In A ball, you'll have a lot of high school draftees that these college seniors know how to get out, but then they hit the premium talent and it becomes a tougher game.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
87 MPH Fastball is fine for college. It won't cut it in the pros though.
I'd be surprised if many guys in college are topping out at 87 mph these days. Having said that, I actually think a pitcher could get by with an 87 mph fastball at the major league level (Kyle Hendricks throws around that speed, so did Buehrle and Maddux), there's just no margin for error.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'd be surprised if many guys in college are topping out at 87 mph these days. Having said that, I actually think a pitcher could get by with an 87 mph fastball at the major league level (Kyle Hendricks throws around that speed, so did Buehrle and Maddux), there's just no margin for error.
With exceptional control it's possible, but just to be picky Buehrle regularly hit 91 and so did Maddux.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
With exceptional control it's possible, but just to be picky Buehrle regularly hit 91 and so did Maddux.
At the beginning of their careers, yea. I know that Maddux was a low-90s guy when he was with the Cubs in the 1980s (which I think was considered to be pretty fast back then. In Game 1 of the '89 NLCS the announcers referred to him as a "young fireballer from Texas.")

But after 2009, Buehrle almost never hit 90 and still had a couple of really good years. So it can be done, but there is no margin for error in hitting your spots.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
At the beginning of their careers, yea. I know that Maddux was a low-90s guy when he was with the Cubs in the 1980s (which I think was considered to be pretty fast back then. In Game 1 of the '89 NLCS the announcers referred to him as a "young fireballer from Texas.")

But after 2009, Buehrle almost never hit 90 and still had a couple of really good years. So it can be done, but there is no margin for error in hitting your spots.
Buehrle also had like 6 different speeds and 95% of the pitches he threw looked like a strike to the batter when they left his hand.