White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
For the record, I personally am NOWHERE near Madrigal is a bust.

I am nervous that if he is a .280 hitter with a .700 ops, he isn't really all that great.

If he can get to 10-12 homers a year and 40 doubles and 30+ SB, he could be Whit Merrifield - a 4-5 WAR 2b.

But if he just hits .280 with a .700 ops, we are probably looking a 2-3 war guy, useful, but complementary and not building block. And at this point we NEED him to be a building block.

Long term - Offensively - you have Anderson looking like a cornerstone, Moncada looking like maybe one, Eloy has the potential to be the best of the bunch but has looked extremely over matched so far (which happens when kids first come up), with those 3, you need to hit on both Robert and Madrigal and then you can fill FA with cheap complimentary guys.

The Sox are not getting a building block in FA. There is no Jon Lester coming here.

Rotation Wise is Kopech and Cease can be legit 1-2 arms, we can fill out with what we have and FA.

The bullpen is promising.

I am just saying I am growing a little concerned over the lack of progress with his gap and power tool. albeit early. My biggest reason of concern is his age, he should be a guy who progresses quickly, that was the main attraction to him, high floor with a decent ceiling. Never an MVP talented hitter but a really good one. So it isn't like he is a young player vs more experience, he just has not translated it yet. Still plenty of time too, but that thought that people like Keith Law, who are betting on the .700 ops version, might be closer to correct
So far he reminds me of David Eckstein and that's not a good thing. We drafted Madrigal to be a superstar and not an overrated slap hitter who can't take a walk or hit a double. But as others are saying, it's pretty early for this hand-wringing. Madrigal has plenty of time to improve. Keep in mind he's returning from a wrist injury as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yah Escobar is a 4a player who is what - 33 ? He can tear up Charlotte, but I want him nowhere near here and I really donít like Yolmer or Rondon
He's 31- I think Yolmer and Rondon have had their chances, and I don't think either one of them is/will be more than a AAAA player, I would be OK with Escobar being called up and taking 2nd base.

I'm am 100% done with thinking playing time is going to matter/develop anything of value when it comes to Sanchez, Rondon, Engel, Delmonico, Nate Jones- I'm just tired of watching this crap- if needed, I'd rather watch new crap than the crap I've been watching for the last 3 seasons. Would have preferred Tilson getting the call up vs. Nicky for the same reason.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yah Escobar is a 4a player who is what - 33 ? He can tear up Charlotte, but I want him nowhere near here and I really donít like Yolmer or Rondon
He's 31- I think Yolmer and Rondon have had their chances, and I don't think either one of them is/will be more than a AAAA player, I would be OK with Escobar being called up and taking 2nd base.

I'm am 100% done with thinking playing time is going to matter/develop anything of value when it comes to Sanchez, Rondon, Engel, Delmonico, Nate Jones- I'm just tired of watching this crap- if needed, I'd rather watch new crap than the crap I've been watching for the last 3 seasons. Would have preferred Tilson getting the call up vs. Nicky for the same reason.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Madrigal had a double and THREE walks last night (one of the concerns about him is his lack of walks). All this fan grumbling must have made its way to him. Fun fact: Madrigal is 5th in the Carolina League in RBIs with 15 even with his sluggish start offensively.

At Charlotte, Ian Hamilton had his 4th scoreless outing in a row after a rough start to the season coming back from an injured shoulder (car accident).

For Kannapolis, Walker with another extra base hit (double). He's hitting .333 with an OPS of .991. I'd imagine he'll be moving up to W-S when Robert moves up to B'ham. Bryce Bush with another hit and another walk as he perhaps is coming around after a terrible start where he was hitting less than .100. Remember, he was drafted out of HS and is only 19.

Davis Martin with a good outing for Kanny last night: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K. He was our 14th round pick last June. He's had 47 Ks to 9 BBs in his short MiLB career.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Since there were no rules regarding going over slot it is unfair to call those teams "cheaters" they weren't breaking any MLB rules. I call them, "doing whatever it takes to win..." And give them a big shout out for doing so.
When teams blatantly go over the suggested draft slot amounts and spend way over what international dollars that they are not supposed to, I call it cheating. The guidelines (weak as they may have been) were set up to try and level the playing field so that the usual cheaters did not go out and sign every top player possible. In their usual cheating fashion, the usual cheaters ignored those guidelines. Teams did not cheat like that in the NFL, NBA and NHL and I'm glad in 2013 the MLB (finally) took steps to remedy the situation.

Quote:
Regarding patience, given the track record of this organization just since the start of the 2007 season can you honestly blame said fans? Especially considering the same front office that drove the franchise into the ditch is being asked to fix all the issues they helped create.
I do not blame fans for being frustrated, but this is not the same group of people that were in charge in 2007. In 2007 the GM was Kenny Williams, the director of amateur scouting was Duane Shaffer, the director of player personnel was Dave Wilder and the director of player development was Alan Reiger. How many of those four are in the same position in 2019?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
This has nothing to do with sunk cost fallacy. Sunk cost fallacy would be, say, not cutting Alonso because we invested $8 million in him.
Your consistent bashing (regardless of facts) has everything to do with sunk cost fallacy.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Davis Martin with a good outing for Kanny last night: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K. He was our 14th round pick last June. He's had 47 Ks to 9 BBs in his short MiLB career.
Another thing about Davis Martin, he may have been a 14th round pick, but I believe he was picked that late in the draft because he was a junior in college and it wasn't certain whether he'd sign or return to Texas Tech. So, that late pick might not totally reflect his potential upside.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

We were Both Wrong - He is 32 for the remainder of the year and 33 right after.

I would much rather seen Mendick or any of the young kids struggling then another washed up vet out there. Hell, I would rather keep seeing Yolmer.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
We were Both Wrong - He is 32 for the remainder of the year and 33 right after.

I would much rather seen Mendick or any of the young kids struggling then another washed up vet out there. Hell, I would rather keep seeing Yolmer.
Mendick is currently hitting .215 in AAA. He's walking a fair amount and has a 400 SLG but he would need to up his success rate significantly to earn a promotion. Otherwise he's just Sanchez light and would be better served honing his craft for another year with the idea of calling him up once he really settles in and starts to produce if that day ever comes. He'd in theory be a stopgap for Madrigal anyway.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Mendick is currently hitting .215 in AAA. He's walking a fair amount and has a 400 SLG but he would need to up his success rate significantly to earn a promotion. Otherwise he's just Sanchez light and would be better served honing his craft for another year with the idea of calling him up once he really settles in and starts to produce if that day ever comes. He'd in theory be a stopgap for Madrigal anyway.
I guess my point was more (and I am not a big Mendick guy, I think he just had a good spring and isn't a real mlb player) - I would rather give a kid a chance to have a light bulb switch on than a 32 year old we know is not part of our future, who has not had a great deal of success in the bigs, and isn't exciting to watch. Seeing Escobar play 2b is the same as watching Santana pitch to me. Just place holder garbage, I would rather lose with the kids.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

We have six Quad-A position players on the roster right now, and three of them have to start on any given day. Even when Eloy returns, we still will have two of these Quad-A types in the lineup on any given day.

At least the bullpen is showing signs of stabilizing to some extent. When Giolito comes back, I want Osich to stay and Ruiz to go. Having three lefties means that Jace Fry--who seems to have righted the ship--doesn't need to appear in every damn LOOGY platoon situation for the rest of the season and burn himself out. Either Banuelos can be used a little more liberally without worrying about who will cover long relief in his stead, or Osich can handle some of the LOOGY platoon workload.

Overall, the offseason was not kind to the White Sox, but Hahn did do a great job of solidifying the relief roles for the 8th and 9th innings. If the team is looking to compete in 2020 instead of treating it as another rebuilding year, Herrera and Colome will be valuable to that process.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I guess my point was more (and I am not a big Mendick guy, I think he just had a good spring and isn't a real mlb player) - I would rather give a kid a chance to have a light bulb switch on than a 32 year old we know is not part of our future, who has not had a great deal of success in the bigs, and isn't exciting to watch. Seeing Escobar play 2b is the same as watching Santana pitch to me. Just place holder garbage, I would rather lose with the kids.
Sure but I also don't want to risk damaging his development timeline also. If there's any chance he can develop into a solid MLB player, let him continue to hone his craft. If nothing else he'd be added tradebait if his OPS can climb into the .800 range at AAA. He's still only 25.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I do not blame fans for being frustrated, but this is not the same group of people that were in charge in 2007. In 2007 the GM was Kenny Williams, the director of amateur scouting was Duane Shaffer, the director of player personnel was Dave Wilder and the director of player development was Alan Reiger. How many of those four are in the same position in 2019?
As long as JR, Kenny and Rick...the MAIN players, the decision makers are still around and controlling things (which they were in 2007)I stand by my timeline while acknowledging your point with some of the other job positions.

THEY make the decisions that mostly impact the franchise, they call the shots. My personal feeling is that until that changes, the only thing we can do is "hope" they stumble into success.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I can see your point- and we're debating players who will not be relevant in any way to the "when we're good again" version of the Sox- but Yolmer turns 27 in June, so not really a kid- he's supposed to be in his prime....and he sucks.

If they're not part of the rebuild, for 2019, I don't care whether the player is 27 or 32- I just want the better player (not that Escobar is that good)
Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I can see your point- and we're debating players who will not be relevant in any way to the "when we're good again" version of the Sox- but Yolmer turns 27 in June, so not really a kid- he's supposed to be in his prime....and he sucks.

If they're not part of the rebuild, for 2019, I don't care whether the player is 27 or 32- I just want the better player (not that Escobar is that good)
Fair enough - I agree on Yolmer - his most valuable contribution involves a gatorade cooler, and that was great once and stupid every time after.
Closed Thread