White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
A bit, yes. Both are 6'5", Pac-10/12 outfielders. Bishop is not whiffing like Borchard did, plus Borchard did have the advantage of hitting before BBCOR rules.

Agreed, the hit tool is always front and center...
This point simply CAN'T be understated. BESR Bats performed insane for Pop, the flex on the bats produced exit velos that were cartoonish. BBCOR still probably has more forgiveness than Wood, but it is a night and day difference.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Such a player could always be traded for immediate MLB help.
Maybe, but if he's the best player available at #3 then you take him. They should still draft for the future even if the player's age indicates they might not be ready in time for contention. I hope they don't dump future assets in this case. Plus there are instances of younger players making the MLB jump really early.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 AM
WSI Personality

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/04/2...andrew-vaughn/

Solid write-up on Vaughn. His hit tools are there and I think people are too obsessed over him being "undersized" at 1B. The guy looks like he has a monster bat.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

Solid write-up on Vaughn. His hit tools are there and I think people are too obsessed over him being "undersized" at 1B. The guy looks like he has a monster bat.
Id be happy with Vaughn. Burger and Sheets would probably be expendable at that point.

Well still need someone to DH, but Im hoping that enough of our OFs make it that Eloy could do most of the DHing, or the DH could be rotated to exploit platoon matchups.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:44 AM
WSI Personality

I really, really hope Eloy is the future full time DH.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I really, really hope Eloy is the future full time DH.
Not me. I REALLY hope Eloy develops into a good enough LF to stay right there, but this is the DRAFT thread so let's take that discussion elsewhere.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Most of the mock drafts have the Sox taking Vaughn at #3. The majority of top 10 picks are college bats.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Hits for power, can deposit any fastball into the bleachers, struggles with breaking pitches, strikes out a lot...fits in very well with the White Sox traditional style of baseball.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Hits for power, can deposit any fastball into the bleachers, struggles with breaking pitches, strikes out a lot...fits in very well with the White Sox traditional style of baseball.

I too would much rather draft Rutschman, but he'll only fall to us if both the Orioles and Royals decide to get cute.

This is why I wanted the Sox to tank last year for the first pick; so we could guarantee we could draft a cornerstone, potential generational, switch-hitting, excellent defensive catcher.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
K% is 14 and BB% is 22 which is almost identical to Adley Rutschman. I also don't know where you are getting the "struggles with breaking pitches" either. Vaughn is known for being able to hit to all fields and lay off bad breaking pitches.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I too would much rather draft Rutschman, but he'll only fall to us if both the Orioles and Royals decide to get cute.

This is why I wanted the Sox to tank last year for the first pick; so we could guarantee we could draft a cornerstone, potential generational, switch-hitting, excellent defensive catcher.
While Rutschman is the consensus #1 pick, if you like college hitters this draft is your kind of draft. Vaughn, Bleday and Bishop are all studs.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

The thing is, the Sox - even at 100 losses - weren't even close to the #1 pick since the O's had 115 losses.

We were 4 games better than the Royals, so somewhat closer. But not as close as the 2-game difference a few years back that got us Fulmer instead of Benintendi. If I remember our September last year, the Sox did their darndest to tank as far as I could tell.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

If anyone is interested, Pipeline has updated their top 100. The top three remain the same, but 4 through 10 had a lot of movement. I'm glad to see Shea Langeliers drop down, I was not happy to see him mentioned as a possible Sox pick earlier on this year. Kid plays great defense behind the plate but really can't hit all that much. I think the Sox are still tracking towards Vaughn. No drop-off this year and his solid Cape Cod performance stands out.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This is why I wanted the Sox to tank last year
They had the franchise's worst record in 48 years and 2nd to worst in 70 years. I think they did their best.
One of the top 2 college hitters or one of the 2 SS. Of he 4, I like Vaughn the least.
If they must reach, avoid the Vandy hitter (funky swing - seen that show before and didn't like how it ended).

Last edited by Tragg; 05-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They had the franchise's worst record in 48 years and 2nd to worst in 70 years. I think they did their best.
One of the top 2 college hitters or one of the 2 SS. Of he 4, I like Vaughn the least.
If they must reach, avoid the Vandy hitter (funky swing - seen that show before and didn't like how it ended).
JJ Bleday? I see a smooth left handed swing from that kid and was the top prospect in the Cape Cod League.
Closed Thread