White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Official 2019 draft watch

Since lots of folks are understandably unhappy with whatís happened with the major league team, I thought some might appreciate discussing the upcoming June amateur draft.

Adley Rutschman is off to a torrid start. At this point if Baltimore passed on him with the #1 pick, the Royals would almost certainly pick him, and heíd be our next Mauer-like nemesis for the next decade. After all thatís gone wrong, donít the baseball gods owe us Rutschman falling to the #3 pick? Still, the Orioles donít have any catching prospects of note, so the best player available also happens to be their biggest organizational need. Maybe he can torment the Yankees and Red Sox for a while.

Andrew Vaughn also is killing the ball early in his college season. If we canít get Rutschman, Iíd be very pleased with Vaughn. He could lock down first base and hit in the middle of our order for the next decade, and he could rise quickly and nicely match our rebuild timeline. His hit and power tools are both ranked at 60 (on the 20/80 scale), and he walks more than he strikes out. First base isnít really a need - Sheets, Burger, and even Collins might end up there - but Vaughn is a better hitter than all of them.

Iím not enamored with Bobby Witt, Jr., but maybe thatís because as a high schooler thereís a whole lot of risk and his timeline doesnít really match our rebuild. On the other hand, heís presently the highest ranked middle infielder.

What other draft prospects are you following?

This draft class is said to be a bit weak in pitching at the top, as well as outfielders. We can always use more pitching, but we are deeper than most, and we are clearly deeper than everyone in OF prospects.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:52 PM
WSI Personality

Always always always go with best player available despite current minor league depth. Iím not sold on Sheets yet; despite his big frame the guy hasnít shown any real power. I like Vaughn too. Getting Rutschman would be a dream but heís very likely gone by 2 unless the Oís go with that SS.

All mocks Iíve seen this offseason see us getting Vaughn too.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Josh Jung
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Just don't pass at #3 on the superstar the Padres will be drafting at #6.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Just don't pass at #3 on the superstar the Padres will be drafting at #6.
Considering that the Padres have not drafted a player in the first round that made the All Star Game since 1993, I wouldn't worry about who the Padres draft....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

It looks like Andrew Vaughn is off to a torrid start to 2019. Through 7 games, he's hitting .524 with an OPS of 1.714. He has 14 walks and 3 HRs already.

A lot can and will happen in the next 3-4 months, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Royals at #2. If he does, and Bobby Witt, Jr. doesn't fall off the map ala Bryce Turang, the Sox are going to have a tough choice to make.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI Prelate

I think passing on Vaughn will be a mistake, unless Rutschman falls. I don't love Jung but I would take him over Witt.

Still way too early to really worry about it, but Vaughn's bat looks very, very good. He and Eloy would be a really scary 1-2
Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think passing on Vaughn will be a mistake, unless Rutschman falls. I don't love Jung but I would take him over Witt.

Still way too early to really worry about it, but Vaughn's bat looks very, very good. He and Eloy would be a really scary 1-2
I hope they have an opportunity. If Vaughn continues to rake, is there a reason the Royals wouldn't take him and leave the Sox to pick from among Witt, Jung, etc?

I know this is all way premature but I love the draft so it's never too early to start picking personal favorites.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I hope they have an opportunity. If Vaughn continues to rake, is there a reason the Royals wouldn't take him and leave the Sox to pick from among Witt, Jung, etc?

I know this is all way premature but I love the draft so it's never too early to start picking personal favorites.
The reason he may fall is he plays first, generally an easier position to fill
Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The reason he may fall is he plays first, generally an easier position to fill
Or maybe a pitcher emerges and either the Orioles/Royals would rather go in that direction. Or Ruschman/Vaughn can't sustain their hot starts for the next 3-4 months. The odds that the first two picks are set in stone in late February is pretty low.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really hope the Sox get Rutschman, but Vaughn would also be a good pick.

If neither are available? Then hell if I know.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 PM
WSI Personality

SETH BEER!!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM
WSI Personality

Andrew Vaughn continues to rake.

I found this blurb on MaxPrep's about Witt Jr.:

Bobby Witt Jr., Colleyville Heritage. The No. 1 prospect in the country had a huge week. In five wins, Witt Jr. batted 16-for-19 (.842) with 13 consecutive base hits. He also scored 17 runs, drove in 13, had two doubles, three triples and four home runs. For the season, Witt Jr. is 28-for-47 (.596) with 29 runs scored, 21 RBI, five doubles, four triples and five home runs.

Obviously, a lot of new names will emerge as the season wears on, but the #3 overall pick should net the Sox another exciting prospect in their pipeline.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
WSI Personality

Bobby Witt, Jr. had another strong week: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...-bobby-witt-jr

3 for 6 with all hits of the long variety.

Here's an article that covers some of the other players the Sox will likely be looking at:

http://https://www.blessyouboys.com/...n-riley-greene

It's early but pitchers are off to slow starts. There doesn't appear to be someone of Hunter Greene or Casey Mize caliber. As it stands now, the Sox are poised to add a stud to the organization in a few months. My first choice would be Witt Jr. since the Sox are a little thin at SS and he'd provide a hedge in case Anderson doesn't progress.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

The problem I have with Witt is his hit tool may only be a 45-50. He reminds me a lot of Stephen Drew ( in terms of projection, not scouting going into the draft).

I really would prefer Vaughn unless somehow, someway, Rutschmann falls.
Closed Thread