White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I believe I saw something from Hahn a month or so ago where he said the plan is to get Burger back on the field around June 1.
Yep, the plan is to have him back around June 1. It's mentioned near the bottom of this page:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/1/...-soxfest-day-1
Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

According to Chris Getz, Zack Collins, Seby Zavala, and Dylan Cease will start the season at Charlotte:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/da...mp/c-303232946
Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
According to Chris Getz, Zack Collins, Seby Zavala, and Dylan Cease will start the season at Charlotte:
This is good news. Makes sense for the catchers to since they spent most of last year in AA.

Cease dominated AA for 10 starts and proved he belonged in a higher level. Might see him by June in the bigs.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM
WSI Personality

Probably already covered but Dunning and Burdi weren't invited to ST but both are supposedly 100%. That's obviously good news.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

I am eager to see how, hitting every day by splitting catcher and DH duties with Zavala, Collins' mammoth power will play in Charlotte, which is significantly smaller than Birmingham. I suspect some deep fly balls that are either doubles or flyouts in Birmingham will be homers in Charlotte. Even if his contact rate remains unchanged (and I'm not writing off the possibility that he can improve that), his average and OBP would climb slightly, and his SLG and OPS therefore would climb not insignificantly.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
No: Madrigal steals second. RR then puts the bunt on to move him over to third.
As long as they give him the green light to steal bases...
Old 01-30-2019, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
There are two parts to your scenario.

Iím fine if Madrigal keeps hitting lots of singles, particularly with fast runners on base ahead of him.

Iím not fine with sac bunts to move him to second base, but I doubt any manager would be having Eloy bunt in any circumstances.
Eloy is not likely to bat behind Madrigal. Madrigal is likely either leading off or batting somewhere in the bottom-third.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:07 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Eloy is not likely to bat behind Madrigal. Madrigal is likely either leading off or batting somewhere in the bottom-third.

Why wouldn't you put contact hitter in the 2 slot?

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L

Next Game Sep 28
Old 01-30-2019, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Some folks say youíre more likely to generate runs if you put more power up in the 2 hole. Thereís validity to that argument, but I would argue that itís valid when your lineup generally has a lot of power but not much in the way of contact skills or speed, which is true of many lineups today. The numbers produced in todayís game will show that putting power up in the 2 slot produces more runs overall.

But thatís because hitters with Madrigalís contact skills - or, at the very least, what we project Madrigalís contact skills to be - are exceedingly rare.

So yes, Fielder, thatís why I agree with you about putting Madrigal in the 2 hole.

I donít think weíll be playing dink and dunk baseball. I think weíll have a burners at the top and bottom of the order, so with someone like Robert or Anderson on base, in the 2 hole Madrigal is likely to see lots of fastballs that he can spray through the hole on the right side, or down the LF line, which will move those burners from first to third or second to home.

Then Eloy will step to the plate with RBI opportunities.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones
Oh you still put a high-contact guy in the #2 spot, but you want him to be a high-contact guy who also hits for power. The best overall hitter on the team should be hitting #2 because there are both macro and micro advantages to doing so. The hitter will get extra plate appearances over the course of a full season, and he will be less likely to be left standing in the on-deck circle to end individual games dotted throughout the season.

A high-contact guy with minimal power is best suited to lead off. The diminished power is mitigated by the fact that at least one plate appearance per game is guaranteed to occur with the bases empty.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Madrigal also isn't "blazing fast", he is a 60 grade runner, 20-25 sbs a year, he is not Tim Anderson fast, or Dee Gordon or Billy Hamilton.

I love Madrigal, I was just simply saying that he HAS to be more than a good contact hitter to be more than an average starter. If he hits 320 with 40 doubles and 20 sbs, he has a ton of value. If he hits .320 with a sub .700 OPS and 20 sbs, he doesn't. He would be a starting caliber player, but not an impact player.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I love Madrigal, I was just simply saying that he HAS to be more than a good contact hitter to be more than an average starter. If he hits 320 with 40 doubles and 20 sbs, he has a ton of value. If he hits .320 with a sub .700 OPS and 20 sbs, he doesn't. He would be a starting caliber player, but not an impact player.

I think that if he hits .320 it would be unusual for his OPS to be below .700, as 40 doubles are almost always usually paired up with 10+ home runs. A slash of .320/.380/.420 would be around what I would expect. I'm good with that .

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I think that if he hits .320 it would be unusual for his OPS to be below .700, as 40 doubles are almost always usually paired up with 10+ home runs. A slash of .320/.380/.420 would be around what I would expect. I'm good with that .
A 2B with an OPS of .800 solid speed who can leadoff and plays great defense?

You'd be a fool NOT to be okay with that...

Personally, I'd be jumping up and down and starting to count trophies if that happens.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
This is best case scenario for sure. Most likely he'll be a .290/.340/.400 guy with maybe a year or 2 of .310+ batting average. Hopefully the juiced MLB balls give his slugging a boost as well.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Madrigal also isn't "blazing fast", he is a 60 grade runner, 20-25 sbs a year, he is not Tim Anderson fast, or Dee Gordon or Billy Hamilton.

Can you actually hit .320 and have a sub .700 OPS? When Mike Caruso hit .300, what was his OPS?

Personally, I think there is a tendency to devalue hits in today's game (even singles), if Madrigal is capable of hitting .320, I think he has a lot of value regardless of whether or not he's stealing 20+ bases or what his OPS is.

Go Sox!!!
Closed Thread