White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
The catching position, in general, seems to be lacking in terms of defense and calling games. Not just for the White Sox but all throughout baseball.
Most (all?) teams call pitches from the dugout these days. Stealing bases is greatly reduced from years past.

Once we go to electronic strike calls catchers will be tasked with not giving up a ton of passed balls and hitting. Modern baseball hitting for a catcher is starting to be viewed as more important than all of the tools the catcher was tasked with in decades past. Those tools still matter and you don't want a guy who can't throw out a reasonable number of would be base stealers, but the other aspects of the game are no longer as important as they once were.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
There is little truth to that statement. While true Burger is not in the top 100, it is due to injury, not performance. Colins is not performing, but if you look closely at the 2016 draft it is very weak, even at the top. Moniak, Pint, Ray, Garrett, Quantrill, Manning were all drafted ahead of Collins and are non on this particular list. Lewis, Groome, Lowe and Benson were drafted in order right after Collins and are also off this list.

You have mentioned this mythical "reaching" many times and it continues to be based on nothing but your own opinion.
Thank you. I keep seeing people second guess certain picks in a total vacuum without respect to who else was available to pick. It's not just Collins, drafting Tim Anderson inexplicably has been mentioned as another first round whiff by the Sox recently on WSI.

As far as Burger goes, I know this sounds crazy, but I'm willing to wait to see how he does upon his return from the ruptured achillies tendon before proclaiming him as a failed pick.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Future Sox has come out with their updated list of Top 30 Sox prospects. Lots of names to watch closely in 2019:
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...019-full-list/
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...e-season-2019/

There are also some intriguing* names on their "just missed" list:
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...season-top-30/

* "some intriguing names" means just that. I'm not suggesting in anyway that any or all of these guys are certain to ever amount to anything.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Thank you. I keep seeing people second guess certain picks in a total vacuum without respect to who else was available to pick. It's not just Collins, drafting Tim Anderson inexplicably has been mentioned as another first round whiff by the Sox recently on WSI.

As far as Burger goes, I know this sounds crazy, but I'm willing to wait to see how he does upon his return from the ruptured achillies tendon before proclaiming him as a failed pick.
It happens All...The...Time, relentlessly with some posters.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

When the season starts and if the Sox are on pace for an 80+ win season, the minor league thread(s) will be dead here. Even if Cease throws three perfect games in a row for Charlotte.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
When the season starts and if the Sox are on pace for an 80+ win season, the minor league thread(s) will be dead here. Even if Cease throws three perfect games in a row for Charlotte.
Doubtful. I, like a bunch of people here, will be keeping an eye on the top prospects for years to come. Having a healthy system even when the Sox are a playoff team, is the ultimate goal for Hahn.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
There is little truth to that statement. While true Burger is not in the top 100, it is due to injury, not performance. Colins is not performing, but if you look closely at the 2016 draft it is very weak, even at the top. Moniak, Pint, Ray, Garrett, Quantrill, Manning were all drafted ahead of Collins and are non on this particular list. Lewis, Groome, Lowe and Benson were drafted in order right after Collins and are also off this list.

You have mentioned this mythical "reaching" many times and it continues to be based on nothing but your own opinion.
Where would the Sox system be ranked but for the trades? The usual 20-30? No excuse for not being top 15 (or top 10 really) with their draft position.
There wasn't a publication in the country in which Burger was ranked #11. Now they did get him slightly below slot,, but then paid Sheets over slot for no reason at all. Picking Burdi was the same logic that traded for James Shields...clowning 101.
What's also interesting is that the Astros, per MLB pipeline, has 2 prospects #1 at their position.

Last edited by Tragg; 01-24-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There wasn't a publication in the country in which Burger was ranked #11.
Burger jumped around between 5 and 20 in most publications during the season. Right before the draft he settled into the 12- 18 range for most. Not a "reach" by any definition, imagine if the more highly regarded Pavin Smith had fallen to them, or if they had taken Jeren Kendall.

Quote:
Now they did get him slightly below slot,, but then paid Sheets over slot for no reason at all.
You do realize that Sheets was a junior and could have re-entered the draft, right? He likely would have been a first rounder in 2018, so the Sox paid him to not go back to school. Pretty simple.

Quote:
Picking Burdi was the same logic that traded for James Shields...clowning 101.
What logic is that? The Sox drafted the hardest throwing, most dominant college closer with the 26th pick of the draft. I don't see how that relates to the Burdi pick in any way, shape or form. Burdi was rated as a first round or compensation round pick in every publication, some having him in the top 20. I can't understand your insistence on painting this as a bad pick.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
MLBPipeline has begun introducing their 2019 prospect rankings. They began by listing the top 10 at each position. Today is RHP. The Sox have two: Kopech at #3 and Cease at #5. No other club has two among the top 10 RHP, other than Atlanta (6 and 9).
The Sox have two prospects in their OF top 10 (Jimenez and Robert):
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=of
Old 01-25-2019, 07:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Sox have two prospects in their OF top 10 (Jimenez and Robert):
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=of

That is a mighty impressive group of talent.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 AM
WSI Personality

BA, BP, and MLB came out with their top 100 lists over the past week. SoxMachine put them all side by side:

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/01/2...to-break-ties/
Old 01-27-2019, 07:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
BA, BP, and MLB came out with their top 100 lists over the past week. SoxMachine put them all side by side:

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/01/2...to-break-ties/
I canít necessarily argue with any of the rankings. I think it is fair to say that freak injuries from which players routinely recover took their toll on our system, as prospects on other clubs were able to advance while many of ours were static. If our prospect health merely regresses/progresses to the mean, then Robert, Madrigal, and Dunning all could climb higher on the midseson list. Moreover, strong seasons could vault prospects like Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, Gonzalez, and Collins into the Top 100.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:11 PM
WSI Personality

If the prospects who were hurt last year rebound this season and show real progress, don't be shocked if the Sox's farm system jumps back to the top spot. There's a ton of talent down there right now and I'm extremely excited.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I canít necessarily argue with any of the rankings. I think it is fair to say that freak injuries from which players routinely recover took their toll on our system, as prospects on other clubs were able to advance while many of ours were static. If our prospect health merely regresses/progresses to the mean, then Robert, Madrigal, and Dunning all could climb higher on the midseson list. Moreover, strong seasons could vault prospects like Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, Gonzalez, and Collins into the Top 100.
Whatís most interesting to me is which prospects the rankings vary the most, in particular Madrigal, Robert, and Dunning.

One guy that Iím really curious to see that you didnít mention is Hansen. This time last year we were all debating who the future ace of the rotation would be between him and Kopech. Obviously 2018 sucked, but his season the year before was every bit as exciting as Cease was last year. We know heís got the talent and the stuff, hopefully with the injury problems behind him he can harness it and get back on track.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Whatís most interesting to me is which prospects the rankings vary the most, in particular Madrigal, Robert, and Dunning.

One guy that Iím really curious to see that you didnít mention is Hansen. This time last year we were all debating who the future ace of the rotation would be between him and Kopech. Obviously 2018 sucked, but his season the year before was every bit as exciting as Cease was last year. We know heís got the talent and the stuff, hopefully with the injury problems behind him he can harness it and get back on track.
For me it's just the uncertainty surrounding Hansen. Is he really past the forearm injury though? I would almost feel better if he needed TJS and we at least knew the problem was taken care of. I don't want another half season to go by and then he gets injured again.
Closed Thread