White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,338
Default

Fall and Instructional league updates, including Madrigal getting reps at SS:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ni...op/c-297646546


https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/wh...ue/c-297664824
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,812
Default

Robert left Fridayís AFL game with an injury:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luis-ro...031946405.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Robert left Fridayís AFL game with an injury:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luis-ro...031946405.html
Glass-man. Supposedly tight hamstring.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Robert left Fridayís AFL game with an injury:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luis-ro...031946405.html
...to follow up on this, Robert returned to action in an AFL game this past Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
...to follow up on this, Robert returned to action in an AFL game this past Saturday.
And he’s doing just fine so far. Burdi looks good too—2 hits and 5 Ks through 4.2 IP.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
And heís doing just fine so far. Burdi looks good tooó2 hits and 5 Ks through 4.2 IP.
There was mention in the main minor league thread that Burdi has seen his velocity drop since his return. I really haven't heard any official details about that, but I'm hoping that it's because he needs some time to get back up to speed after being out of action over 12 months after Tommy John surgery.

He's definitely a pitcher to watch next spring and might make his way up to Chicago sometime next season if all goes well.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:49 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
There was mention in the main minor league thread that Burdi has seen his velocity drop since his return. I really haven't heard any official details about that, but I'm hoping that it's because he needs some time to get back up to speed after being out of action over 12 months after Tommy John surgery.

He's definitely a pitcher to watch next spring and might make his way up to Chicago sometime next season if all goes well.
Agreed. It's pretty common to see a drop in game velocity when you first come back from pretty much any kind of arm surgery. Luckily enough he still has a pretty high ceiling even if he doesn't quite pump 102 anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Agreed. It's pretty common to see a drop in game velocity when you first come back from pretty much any kind of arm surgery. Luckily enough he still has a pretty high ceiling even if he doesn't quite pump 102 anymore.
Actually, one of the things I have read is that itís common for guys to see an uptick in velocity but a loss of command and movement when coming back from TJS, which is what makes Burdiís drop in velocity concerning. He was sitting around 93-95 in August, but I havenít seen anything about velocity recently when I read the AFL recaps in SoxMachine.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Actually, one of the things I have read is that itís common for guys to see an uptick in velocity but a loss of command and movement when coming back from TJS, which is what makes Burdiís drop in velocity concerning. He was sitting around 93-95 in August, but I havenít seen anything about velocity recently when I read the AFL recaps in SoxMachine.
Youíre not wrong, it is common to see an uptick, but itís also common for velocity to initially be down in their first action back whether itís shoulder or elbow surgery. Remember, the build-up to pitching in the fall league was almost entirely his surgery rehab, which is a lot different than what a pitcher usually does before going into game action. It does depend player by player, but itís not surprising when a pitcher comes back not having had a full offseason of building up strength. I think thereís a pretty decent chance heís back at his normal levels come next spring, although if he doesnít, it happens, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Youíre not wrong, it is common to see an uptick, but itís also common for velocity to initially be down in their first action back whether itís shoulder or elbow surgery. Remember, the build-up to pitching in the fall league was almost entirely his surgery rehab, which is a lot different than what a pitcher usually does before going into game action. It does depend player by player, but itís not surprising when a pitcher comes back not having had a full offseason of building up strength. I think thereís a pretty decent chance heís back at his normal levels come next spring, although if he doesnít, it happens, unfortunately.
Ah, so he didn't have any real pitching opportunities before the fall league? Also, I still haven't seen anything regarding his velocity thus far, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

One bit of good news is that Luis Robert had his first extra base hit yesterday. I think I saw he's hitting .292/.346/.333 - he's also REALLY fast in the clips I have seen.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Ah, so he didn't have any real pitching opportunities before the fall league? Also, I still haven't seen anything regarding his velocity thus far, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

One bit of good news is that Luis Robert had his first extra base hit yesterday. I think I saw he's hitting .292/.346/.333 - he's also REALLY fast in the clips I have seen.
Burdi made some appearances on the Arizona Summer League toward the end of this season as rehab games. Looking at the MiLB website, it looks like he pitched in 7 games with 6 1/3 IP in the AZ league this August.
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2018/MINORS
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Ah, so he didn't have any real pitching opportunities before the fall league? Also, I still haven't seen anything regarding his velocity thus far, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

One bit of good news is that Luis Robert had his first extra base hit yesterday. I think I saw he's hitting .292/.346/.333 - he's also REALLY fast in the clips I have seen.
Robert is fast as long as he stays healthy. Someone else pointed out that it appears based on their reading comments from the players themselves that both he and Moncada need to eat better. Let's hope they do. May help to avoid the leg issues that have hit them both.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 823
Default

Robert has excellent bat speed and the scouts love his potential power. He's also shown that he can take walks and work a count. Plus as you guys have said- he's really, really fast.

I really think he can be another Mookie Betts. He has the tools.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Robert is fast as long as he stays healthy. Someone else pointed out that it appears based on their reading comments from the players themselves that both he and Moncada need to eat better. Let's hope they do. May help to avoid the leg issues that have hit them both.
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/yoan-moncad...ek/c-220750934
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Hopefully there will be an inverse relationship between his batting average and twinkies consumed per week soon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.