White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Fall and Instructional league updates, including Madrigal getting reps at SS:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ni...op/c-297646546

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/wh...ue/c-297664824
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Robert left Fridayís AFL game with an injury:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luis-ro...031946405.html
Old 10-13-2018, 11:19 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

Glass-man. Supposedly tight hamstring.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

...to follow up on this, Robert returned to action in an AFL game this past Saturday.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
...to follow up on this, Robert returned to action in an AFL game this past Saturday.
And he’s doing just fine so far. Burdi looks good too—2 hits and 5 Ks through 4.2 IP.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
And heís doing just fine so far. Burdi looks good tooó2 hits and 5 Ks through 4.2 IP.
There was mention in the main minor league thread that Burdi has seen his velocity drop since his return. I really haven't heard any official details about that, but I'm hoping that it's because he needs some time to get back up to speed after being out of action over 12 months after Tommy John surgery.

He's definitely a pitcher to watch next spring and might make his way up to Chicago sometime next season if all goes well.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
There was mention in the main minor league thread that Burdi has seen his velocity drop since his return. I really haven't heard any official details about that, but I'm hoping that it's because he needs some time to get back up to speed after being out of action over 12 months after Tommy John surgery.

He's definitely a pitcher to watch next spring and might make his way up to Chicago sometime next season if all goes well.
Agreed. It's pretty common to see a drop in game velocity when you first come back from pretty much any kind of arm surgery. Luckily enough he still has a pretty high ceiling even if he doesn't quite pump 102 anymore.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Agreed. It's pretty common to see a drop in game velocity when you first come back from pretty much any kind of arm surgery. Luckily enough he still has a pretty high ceiling even if he doesn't quite pump 102 anymore.
Actually, one of the things I have read is that itís common for guys to see an uptick in velocity but a loss of command and movement when coming back from TJS, which is what makes Burdiís drop in velocity concerning. He was sitting around 93-95 in August, but I havenít seen anything about velocity recently when I read the AFL recaps in SoxMachine.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Actually, one of the things I have read is that itís common for guys to see an uptick in velocity but a loss of command and movement when coming back from TJS, which is what makes Burdiís drop in velocity concerning. He was sitting around 93-95 in August, but I havenít seen anything about velocity recently when I read the AFL recaps in SoxMachine.
Youíre not wrong, it is common to see an uptick, but itís also common for velocity to initially be down in their first action back whether itís shoulder or elbow surgery. Remember, the build-up to pitching in the fall league was almost entirely his surgery rehab, which is a lot different than what a pitcher usually does before going into game action. It does depend player by player, but itís not surprising when a pitcher comes back not having had a full offseason of building up strength. I think thereís a pretty decent chance heís back at his normal levels come next spring, although if he doesnít, it happens, unfortunately.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Youíre not wrong, it is common to see an uptick, but itís also common for velocity to initially be down in their first action back whether itís shoulder or elbow surgery. Remember, the build-up to pitching in the fall league was almost entirely his surgery rehab, which is a lot different than what a pitcher usually does before going into game action. It does depend player by player, but itís not surprising when a pitcher comes back not having had a full offseason of building up strength. I think thereís a pretty decent chance heís back at his normal levels come next spring, although if he doesnít, it happens, unfortunately.
Ah, so he didn't have any real pitching opportunities before the fall league? Also, I still haven't seen anything regarding his velocity thus far, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

One bit of good news is that Luis Robert had his first extra base hit yesterday. I think I saw he's hitting .292/.346/.333 - he's also REALLY fast in the clips I have seen.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ah, so he didn't have any real pitching opportunities before the fall league? Also, I still haven't seen anything regarding his velocity thus far, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

One bit of good news is that Luis Robert had his first extra base hit yesterday. I think I saw he's hitting .292/.346/.333 - he's also REALLY fast in the clips I have seen.
Burdi made some appearances on the Arizona Summer League toward the end of this season as rehab games. Looking at the MiLB website, it looks like he pitched in 7 games with 6 1/3 IP in the AZ league this August.
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2018/MINORS
Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Robert is fast as long as he stays healthy. Someone else pointed out that it appears based on their reading comments from the players themselves that both he and Moncada need to eat better. Let's hope they do. May help to avoid the leg issues that have hit them both.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM
WSI Personality

Robert has excellent bat speed and the scouts love his potential power. He's also shown that he can take walks and work a count. Plus as you guys have said- he's really, really fast.

I really think he can be another Mookie Betts. He has the tools.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Robert is fast as long as he stays healthy. Someone else pointed out that it appears based on their reading comments from the players themselves that both he and Moncada need to eat better. Let's hope they do. May help to avoid the leg issues that have hit them both.
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/yoan-moncad...ek/c-220750934
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Hopefully there will be an inverse relationship between his batting average and twinkies consumed per week soon