White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Hansen with his first win of the season (as a RP). In his 2 innings, he gave up 1 hit, with 5 K's and no walks. He still has a perfect ERA for the season, and I think that's the first hit he's given up in 8 IP (14 K's to 2 BBs).

Burdi also had a very nice debut for Kanny: 3 batters, 3 Ks.

Basabe, unfortunately, went 0 for 5.
I'm assuming Burdi and Hansen will climb back to AAA fairly quickly if they continue to look good. These are precautionary get your feet wet innings but both of them have stuff way too good for where they are pitching. I'd be surprised if Basabe had good timing in his first game back. Hopefully he regains some form soon, but this is basically his first game of spring training.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-23-2019, 07:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Any view on Troutwine at Kanny? (2018 draft choice, catcher) He's hit over .300 in both of his stops (Great Falls and Kanny) so far, but age 23, so probably needs to be pushed up at a crisp pace to see if there's anything really there.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's great news. More talent coming back and more reasons to follow the minors. Hopefully Burdi makes a fast climb back to AAA and on to the Major League squad. Things are starting to bubble and pop in the minors.
That's a great way to put it- it's already pretty interesting at every level- add Basabe, Burdi and Burger as they come back from injury, and Hansen and he kind of rebuilds from the ground up- should be a very fun summer watching the prospects move up the system.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Any view on Troutwine at Kanny? (2018 draft choice, catcher) He's hit over .300 in both of his stops (Great Falls and Kanny) so far, but age 23, so probably needs to be pushed up at a crisp pace to see if there's anything really there.
Yep, he's playing at least one level below where you'd expect a top prospect to be at age 23. He put up good numbers at Wichita State and his low level success was encouraging. His defense is below average though, he has 6 passed balls and has only thrown out 2 of 12. His bat will make or break him...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM
WSI Prelate

The problem Troutwine will face if he is for real is Collins. Collins - if he makes it - will ALWAYS be a bat first catcher. And you can't carry 2 of those. If Collins makes it, you need a catcher who is all D and Arm, even if they can't hit.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Hansen is tough. I would love to see him be stretched back out to start. That said, if he can end up a lock down 8th/9th guy or a Hader super reliever type for a few innings a game, there is tremendous value in that too.

I just hope Hansen isn't this versions Chris Sale in the sense the front office panics over arm problems and pigeon holes him. Just think if Sale did not stand up for himself when they told him he was going to closing full time.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Hansen is tough. I would love to see him be stretched back out to start. That said, if he can end up a lock down 8th/9th guy or a Hader super reliever type for a few innings a game, there is tremendous value in that too.

I just hope Hansen isn't this versions Chris Sale in the sense the front office panics over arm problems and pigeon holes him. Just think if Sale did not stand up for himself when they told him he was going to closing full time.
The goal is to make him a starter, they are just building confidence and bringing him along slowly. He'll get stretched out again and be back to starting soon. I imagine that will start to happen very quickly with as much success as he is having.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem Troutwine will face if he is for real is Collins. Collins - if he makes it - will ALWAYS be a bat first catcher. And you can't carry 2 of those. If Collins makes it, you need a catcher who is all D and Arm, even if they can't hit.
With the advent of the 3-batter minimum for relievers, I would not mind carrying 3 catchers instead of 8 relievers, especially if there is a catcher who has a good enough bat to DH and can play a decent 1B.

It worked for the Cubs when they carried Contreras, Montero, and Ross, and they did not even have the luxury of a DH.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The goal is to make him a starter, they are just building confidence and bringing him along slowly. He'll get stretched out again and be back to starting soon. I imagine that will start to happen very quickly with as much success as he is having.
Good to hear
Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Good to hear

Agreed. It would be a huge boost to this franchise if he reaches his potential as a starter. I'd hate for them to give up on that option before he's had a chance to show if he can bounce back from 2018. I know this is a bit of daydreaming, but can you imagine a rotation anchored by Kopech, Cease, Hansen, and Rodon? Sure, lots of question marks still but lots of high potential, too.

If he falters as a starter and then turns out to be a lights-out reliever, then he'd still be a great asset. But he'd be a much better asset as a top of the rotation-level starter.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:43 PM

That Charlotte game must have been fun to watch. Mendick with a 3-run walkoff bomb in the 10th. Tilson with 3 more hits. He’s currently hitting .371. Collins only 2 walks on the night. Frare and Bummer has good outings but Adams got shelled in relief.

In AA not much to talk about but all the major players continued to show signs of life with Rutherford getting 2 hits though the team got shutout.

A+ Madrigal didn’t do much and Robert had another night off I guess still out due to the contusion.

Last edited by voodoochile; 04-23-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Past 500 please start next thread.
Closed Thread