White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Not counting guys on the current ML roster, the Sox go easily 5-6 deep in both SP and OF legit depth down in the farm.

Middle IF and 3B is where they are a bit thin at, would like for that to be addressed in this draft. Always grab best player on the board, but just pointing out where they need to load up on.

Meanwhile my guy Luis Curbelo still on the milk carton. He'd be great IF depth for the future if he every gets healthy.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Not counting guys on the current ML roster, the Sox go easily 5-6 deep in both SP and OF legit depth down in the farm.

Middle IF and 3B is where they are a bit thin at, would like for that to be addressed in this draft. Always grab best player on the board, but just pointing out where they need to load up on.

Meanwhile my guy Luis Curbelo still on the milk carton. He'd be great IF depth for the future if he every gets healthy.
It's a good draft for a team thin at MI. Turang/Nander/Madrigal all look good to me.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
It's a good draft for a team thin at MI. Turang/Nander/Madrigal all look good to me.
My gut tells me that the Sox should land one of the arms with so high a pick, but I'd love more MI depth, too. I'm higher on Nander myself, if only because of the better offensive potential over Turang. Isn't Madrigal a 2B-only, though? I'd hesitate to draft someone like that.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Also LHP. I'm not complaining about the SP depth, but the only one who is left-handed is Clarkin.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
My gut tells me that the Sox should land one of the arms with so high a pick, but I'd love more MI depth, too. I'm higher on Nander myself, if only because of the better offensive potential over Turang. Isn't Madrigal a 2B-only, though? I'd hesitate to draft someone like that.
Madrigal has played a lot of SS and projects to be adequate if moved back there, while perhaps growing into a GG caliber player if he sticks at 2B (which is likely). In any case, there's some versatility there. He's probably the safest pick in this draft with regards to floor, but his ceiling isn't as tantalizing as someone like Nander.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Madrigal has played a lot of SS and projects to be adequate if moved back there, while perhaps growing into a GG caliber player if he sticks at 2B (which is likely). In any case, there's some versatility there. He's probably the safest pick in this draft with regards to floor, but his ceiling isn't as tantalizing as someone like Nander.
I'd be very happy with any of the three mentioned. I know best player and all of that, but there's rarely a consensus on who that best player is. Ask 10 scouts and you probably get 10 different answers. But they absolutely need this pick to 'stick.' Madrigal seems to be the safest but that isn't a knock on him. I just think his ceiling is perceived to be lower because he's 5' 7" and isn't a power hitter. I like the idea of an insurance policy in case either Moncada or Anderson falter.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'd be very happy with any of the three mentioned. I know best player and all of that, but there's rarely a consensus on who that best player is. Ask 10 scouts and you probably get 10 different answers. But they absolutely need this pick to 'stick.' Madrigal seems to be the safest but that isn't a knock on him. I just think his ceiling is perceived to be lower because he's 5' 7" and isn't a power hitter. I like the idea of an insurance policy in case either Moncada or Anderson falter.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, Madrigal's potential doesn't look that sexy. But if you've got a guy that you project to have something close to a DJ Lemahieu statline ceiling with a few more steals, few more walks, and similar or even better D, you take that guy at 4 even if it's not as sexy as a fireballer with a sick 12-6 curve or a raw power/speed phenom with a pre-roids Barry Bonds body. Especially when you have a team constructed of a lot of boom or bust prospects.

There's something to be said for up the middle stability.

Last edited by shes; 04-16-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Reports from Charlotte indicate Ryan Cordell left tonight’s game with an injury - perhaps a broken arm.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe we can send down Adam Engel to fill Ryan's spot on Charlotte's roster!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Maybe we can send down Adam Engel to fill Ryan's spot on Charlotte's roster!
And replace him with whom? L. Garcia? An infielder trying to play the outfield? That hasn't worked to well either.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Which is enough for corner OF (that's where that depth is), but not SP.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Ryan Cordell out at least 8 weeks.

He broke his clavicle as per NBCS Chicago.

272-235.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Man- Adolfo just looks like a world beater right now. Maybe spending time with Eloy helped him out, but this rate makes it look like he won’t be long for Birmingham.

Rutherford looks great, too. He just is lacking power. The bat to eye is there.

Truly a glut of riches in our outfield. Most likely Rutherford becomes the odd man out.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Man- Adolfo just looks like a world beater right now. Maybe spending time with Eloy helped him out, but this rate makes it look like he won’t be long for Birmingham.

Rutherford looks great, too. He just is lacking power. The bat to eye is there.

Truly a glut of riches in our outfield. Most likely Rutherford becomes the odd man out.
Nothing wrong with an outfielder lacking power as long as he hits for a high average and gets a lot of doubles. Rutherford seems to be a gap hitter, left center to right center...absolutely nothing wrong with that.