White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Shohei Otani to play in MLB in 2018

This is going to be interesting to see where he lands. He has expressed a desire to be a 2 way player. DH + Pitching. If so, an AL team is likely going to nab his services. I don't know enough about International pool money to comment on whether the Sox are a realistic suitor for him but his young age would fit our timeline to compete:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shohei-...063136007.html
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
This is going to be interesting to see where he lands. He has expressed a desire to be a 2 way player. DH + Pitching. If so, an AL team is likely going to nab his services. I don't know enough about International pool money to comment on whether the Sox are a realistic suitor for him but his young age would fit our timeline to compete:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shohei-...063136007.html
I believe the Sox used most of their allotted international pool money for next year when they signed Robert this summer. I've heard Otani is interested in going to Seattle after the way the fans loved Ichiro there for years. Would think most teams will be in on trying to land him.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox I think have only 300,000 dollars left to spend in the next two years on international free agents.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I believe the Sox used most of their allotted international pool money for next year when they signed Robert this summer. I've heard Otani is interested in going to Seattle after the way the fans loved Ichiro there for years. Would think most teams will be in on trying to land him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The Sox I think have only 300,000 dollars left to spend in the next two years on international free agents.
Do the rules regarding spending pools distinguish between international amateur free agents and international professional free agents?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Do the rules regarding spending pools distinguish between international amateur free agents and international professional free agents?
For a player to be exempt from the rules governing international signings, that player must be at least 25 years old with 6 seasons in a foreign professional league.

The above information was taken from a Baseball America article that is linked here.

If Otani meets the above, then the White Sox would theoretically have a chance at landing him.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Didn't the Sox trade some minor leaguer this year to the Rangers for some Ranger international money?

Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Didn't the Sox trade some minor leaguer this year to the Rangers for some Ranger international money?
It was the other way around:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...cago-white-sox
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Here is a full analysis of his status which should answer any questions presented here.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here is a full analysis of his status which should answer any questions presented here.
Given his age, he'll be subject to the bonus pool rules, which would almost certainly take the Sox out of the running.

The only way, it seems, that the Sox could make a run at him is if they had some sort of secret side deal to sign him to a huge contract after one MLB season, and in the meantime he'd have to accept significantly less money to play for us than he would for numerous other teams. At that point, the sales pitch is, "choose us because of our accumulation of top prospects of which you would likely be the leader." It's probably not much of a sales pitch, so we shouldn't get our hopes up like we did with Luis Robert.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 AM
WSI Guru

Sun-Times with a nice round up story on his situation and who can actually afford to pay him with the current rules in place:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/r...ubs-white-sox/
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yes, as I understand it the Sox are out of the running. The rule is that the White Sox can sign international free agents to contracts but only to a max $300,000 bonus. Otani will command millions in bonus money alone. And yes, Otani is young enough that the new international rules apply to him. This means even with other teams his bonus money will be limited. His choice was to go to the states now while he was still young and at peak value or wait a few more years until the new international rules no longer applied to him and take the big money then. Assuming of course, he doesn't get hurt, his value stays up, etc.

But yeah, the Sox are not in the picture for this one.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

If he's serious about being a two-way player (and I'm not sure any club would even really allow him to do that), I think he'd almost have to sign with an AL team and be a DH, no? If that is the case, I see him signing with the Yankees.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
If he's serious about being a two-way player (and I'm not sure any club would even really allow him to do that), I think he'd almost have to sign with an AL team and be a DH, no? If that is the case, I see him signing with the Yankees.
He wouldn't hit the games he pitches in because the team would lose the DH slot when he got pulled for a reliever. If he can DH the other 4 nights I don't see why teams would say no, assuming his bat is as good as he claims it is.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He wouldn't hit the games he pitches in because the team would lose the DH slot when he got pulled for a reliever. If he can DH the other 4 nights I don't see why teams would say no, assuming his bat is as good as he claims it is.
I'd assume the risk of injury running the bases is what would keep teams away from him being a DH on the other four days (assuming he's signed as a pitcher and not as a hitter).
Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 AM
WSI Regular

Default Shohei Ohtani wants to be in MLB in 2018

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...e-mlb-51075865

He's leaving money on the table by coming here now at the age of 23 rather than waiting until 25. But he's ran roughshod through the Japanese league both as a hitter and as a pitcher. I'm guessing the Yankees get him.

But man...I'd love for the Sox to take a shot at him. We're already being called a future contender, and adding this guy would be a risk but not only would it have a massive payoff in production, the amount of attention (ie- money) he'd bring to the team could be tremendous.