White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

I have to say I am drooooolllinnggg over the thought of someone like Bohm or Madrigal 4 and then Beer in round 2. If you landed Bohm-Beer.... You are looking at a heart of the order for a long time of Eloy-Beer-Bohm, that could be insane.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I have to say I am drooooolllinnggg over the thought of someone like Bohm or Madrigal 4 and then Beer in round 2. If you landed Bohm-Beer.... You are looking at a heart of the order for a long time of Eloy-Beer-Bohm, that could be insane.
That is a PBP person's dream come true. Just repeat several times quickly.....

Old 04-20-2018, 09:29 AM
WSI Personality

I'd be pretty happy with Bohm, Madrigal, or Swaggerty - probably in that order.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Fangraphys mock predicts Swaggerty.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...k-draft-v-1-0/

Quote:
The White Sox are also on all three of the top college bats (Bohm, Madrigal, Swaggerty), and it sounds like they’ll take the one who gets to them here. We’re also not sure how Chicago stacks up those bats, but there’s some belief that they have Madrigal tops amongst the three. McClanahan has been mentioned as an option here, but he’s faded the last few weeks.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-22-2018, 01:17 PM
WSI Regular

Is there any draft more fluid than the MLB draft? Turang and Singer have dropped in a few mock drafts. Alec Hansen and Carlos Rodon were consensus #1's until they had off years.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Is there any draft more fluid than the MLB draft? Turang and Singer have dropped in a few mock drafts. Alec Hansen and Carlos Rodon were consensus #1's until they had off years.
Probably the hardest front office job in sports is baseball GM. The bust-rate is much, much, higher than any other professional sport. Even FA can be a crap shoot with solid players inexplicably falling apart after getting signed.

Probably won't be '18, but if the Sox fail their way into a top 3 pick in '19, fingers crossed that there's a Bryce Harper-type 'slam dunk' available.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sickels does a nice little write up on Swaggerty:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...-south-alabama

Quote:
My feeling is that Swaggerty’s position in the draft is in flux right now. He could go very early, but he might also slip to the middle of the first round depending on how teams assess his approach. I doubt he would slip anywhere beyond that, since even with some consistency questions he still projects as a regular.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Call To the Pen releases their first mock and picks the Sox to take Jarred Kelenic (HS, OF)

Quote:
The White Sox have been known for taking incredibly talented young outfielders, and Kelenic fits the bill with his plus hit tool, raw plus power, and above-average speed that plays up in outfield defense due to his plus, accurate arm.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Call To the Pen releases their first mock and picks the Sox to take Jarred Kelenic (HS, OF)
It's almost like the guy who wrote this up didn't pay attention to the last three drafts...

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
It's almost like the guy who wrote this up didn't pay attention to the last three drafts...
Yeah, HS players pose the greatest risk; why would the Sox assume risk like that when they haven't in the last three drafts?

If the Sox never drafted another HS player in the first round it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W

Next Game Sep 8
Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Yeah, HS players pose the greatest risk; why would the Sox assume risk like that when they haven't in the last three drafts?

If the Sox never drafted another HS player in the first round it wouldn't bother me in the least.
While they do present the greatest risk, they often present the highest upside. If the kid is that good, this might be the perfect time for the Sox to roll the dice, the system is clogged with guys 21-24 years old. Granted there are a lot of top prospects in that mix which is a good thing, but the next wave needs to stocked.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I was going more with the "toolsy outfielder" bit (save for Robert, but he wasn't drafted), but that's also a good point.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
While they do present the greatest risk, they often present the highest upside. If the kid is that good, this might be the perfect time for the Sox to roll the dice, the system is clogged with guys 21-24 years old. Granted there are a lot of top prospects in that mix which is a good thing, but the next wave needs to stocked.
I would not be scared off by high school at all.

I didn't think he was referencing the Jared Mitchell type at all in his comment, I took more as Robert and Rutherford (trade) and Eloy (Trade)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:30 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
I agree the next wave needs to be stocked, but it doesn't need to happen in the first round. Picking a first round bust, and by bust I mean never makes it to the big club, is a disaster for the White Sox.

"If the kid is that good" is probably the toughest thing to gauge in HS players. Yes there are objective speed numbers and strength numbers, but HS competition is so low compared to the next level. I don't know if pure metrics can get you a favorable roll of the dice.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree the next wave needs to be stocked, but it doesn't need to happen in the first round. Picking a first round bust, and by bust I mean never makes it to the big club, is a disaster for the White Sox.

"If the kid is that good" is probably the toughest thing to gauge in HS players. Yes there are objective speed numbers and strength numbers, but HS competition is so low compared to the next level. I don't know if pure metrics can get you a favorable roll of the dice.
Yeah, I'm not enamored with HS baseball prospects, unless the system is already loaded so that the organization can afford to gamble with high draft picks.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Closed Thread