And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
By the way they are losing games. (Errors, mental mistakes, bad fundamentals etc.)
Maybe they just stink. One can perform badly and still care.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-17-2017, 01:28 AM
WSI Guru

My level of hatred for Chris Beck has reached MacDougal-like levels. Cannot stand the guy. The sad thing is he's not even close to being the worst pitcher on the team.

Another error by Anderson. What a terrible play that was. There are a lot of things to be pissed and/or frustrated about this season, but for me, his regression tops the list -- because he's supposed to be a part of the future of this organization, unlike Chris Beck and other roster dreck.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I know they are going to lose games...a lot of games...a ton of games but this really is becoming an embarrassment.

Starting pitching is horrific, the defense is brutal (three more errors today) and you blow a five run lead to a mediocre (at best) team.

At home.

Just sad.

Like I said I know they are going to lose but these guys are supposed to be professionals who are getting paid very, very well.

At least they should act like they give a damn (even if they have to fake it.)

RR is supposed to be good with young players and to be able to teach the fundamentals.

On that score, so far, I'm not impressed.
It's a bad team doing bad team things, Lip. I don't think it's a matter of not caring, or a matter of poor managing/coaching.

Look at the lineup, looking at the rotation, look at the bullpen. The Sox just have a lot of players who do not belong in the major leagues.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
My level of hatred for Chris Beck has reached MacDougal-like levels. Cannot stand the guy. The sad thing is he's not even close to being the worst pitcher on the team.

Another error by Anderson. What a terrible play that was. There are a lot of things to be pissed and/or frustrated about this season, but for me, his regression tops the list -- because he's supposed to be a part of the future of this organization, unlike Chris Beck and other roster dreck.
The radio guys mentioned that the infield going through practice and situations drills as a unit. A healthy Saladino gives Renteria alternatives at SS. At this point TA's performance has to be evaluated by pre-game practice and game by game. Individual sessions with TA should be (I not implying they're not occurring) happening every day.

A continued display of poor fundamentals and mental mistakes should cost TA playing time on the parent club. Worst case you send him down. With Saladino's health history any future deal better include a SS: one that excels defensively.

No matter how the Comish may want to change the game, no matter of the crash, bang and boom that some desire to draw interest what wins in this game is timeless and immutable: pitching and defense. Without both it's near impossible to win.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 AM
WSI Personality

Default Shortstops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Bennitti and Stone kept singing the praises of the Mariners. Even with the three game sweep, Seattle is still one game under .500. They haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years. They have never been to a World Series. They're not that good now; they've been good for only a handful of seasons.

A rebuild is necessary because this team has been run into the ground. This game was awful to watch. At one time I thought Tim Anderson was going to be a good player. Right now he is regressing at an alarming rate.
The White Sox had 2 other shortstops in my lifetime who simply couldn't catch the ball. Bee Bee Richard and Mike Caruso. After a couple of seasons the team gave up on them and both of them never played in MLB again. Tim Anderson is now another shortstop who simply is not good defensively. I wonder how long before he is no longer here. A shortstop is either good defensively or he's not. Anderson is not good defensively. To make matters worse our stupid GM signed Anderson to a long term mulit million contract. A contract that will eventually be eaten by the team.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The White Sox had 2 other shortstops in my lifetime who simply couldn't catch the ball. Bee Bee Richard and Mike Caruso. After a couple of seasons the team gave up on them and both of them never played in MLB again. Tim Anderson is now another shortstop who simply is not good defensively. I wonder how long before he is no longer here. A shortstop is either good defensively or he's not. Anderson is not good defensively. To make matters worse our stupid GM signed Anderson to a long term mulit million contract. A contract that will eventually be eaten by the team.
Can't argue with any of this. Could'a kept Marcus Semien who at least had an OBP above rock bottom.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The more I watch him, the more I wonder if he will ever improve. There are players that just have a early stop point in their development. But with this club it doesnt matter that much. They have years before a SS is really needed.

Regarding the contract, its chump change to salt n pepper it down the line, if this club ever becomes competitive.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
This team is IMPOSSIBLE to watch.

Call me a fake fan or whatever.

They've ruined this team.

Seriously? This is what a rebuild looks like. Go with it. Don't be one of those guys that abandons ship and then comes back like the biggest diehard fan ever when they start winning again.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

My $0.02-

I'm not throwing in the towel on Anderson yet- lots of shortstops at age 23,
have made a ton of errors, etc.
After Frazier has moved and if/when Moncada is called up, our infield of Davidson/Anderson/Moncada/Abreu with Smith behind the plate, has to be one of the worst defensive infields we've ever put out there (rivaling our late 70's outfield with Garr in LF and Claudell Washington in RF).
I don't think I've ever seen so many starting pitchers not make it past the 4th inning (or the 5th), the White Sox must be approaching some kind of record for starts < 5 full innings.
I can't stand the early 80's uniforms any more- I thought the Sox valued "their brand". but seems like we have a hodge podge of the current one, the early 80's and that weird hat that has a version of teh "Bill Veeck batter" that we never actually used.
I'll be in NC this week- hoping to get to games in Kannapolis and Winston Salem to get a little hope.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

I know that Anderson has had some personal issues to deal with this year, but this is ridiculous. He would have projected to make 23 errors in '16 had he played a full season which is still bad but not historic-bad.

He already has 21 this season. He's on pace to make 43 errors which would be the most by any player since 1992. You have to go back to 1951 to find someone with more than 43.

I'm not sure what the right move is. You can try to let him play through it since no one should really care about wins/losses, but this might become a mental thing where he starts praying the ball is hit to someone else. Or, you could send him down to get his head together and move Sanchez or Saladino to SS.

Whatever they decide, I think they need to target a SS either via trade or the draft. Sounds like the Yankees are not inclined to part ways with Gleyber Torres and I don't think Robertson would be enough to get that deal done anyway.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
WSI Prelate

In all the talk about Anderson's defense, let's also remember that he has the 9th worst OPS of qualified hitters in all of MLB.

He has a WAR of 0.1.

He has brought nothing to the team.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
In all the talk about Anderson's defense, let's also remember that he has the 9th worst OPS of qualified hitters in all of MLB.

He has a WAR of 0.1.

So this is a perfect time for the Sox to absorb his growing pains and give him time to develop. If he fails, it doesn't really matter.

The only thing the Sox need to do, then, is not assume that their middle infield is set, and therefore not pass up an opportunity to draft a shortstop in the 2018 and 2019 draft if said shortstop is the best player available.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombradley72 View Post
my $0.02-i'm not throwing in the towel on anderson yet- lots of shortstops at age 23, have made a ton of errors, etc.
+1
Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

He has a WAR of 0.1.

The defense of the players drafted and traded for isn't exactly stellar. They will have serious need for a steady glove at SS even it its at the expense of offense. I hope Anderson is that guy but it's looking unlikely.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

He has a WAR of 0.1.

While most guys with attitudes aren't desirable, it might be healthy for Anderson if he would develop one. He plays the game as if he's just "happy to be here". Haven't seen a whole lot of maturity to this point.