White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Charlotte Knights are almost unwatchable.
Extreme little pitching developed in the org. the last several years. And it shows in Charlotte and on the major league team.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
What's the scouting report on Stephens? His AA pitching is impressive.
The report on Stephens is good. Currently our #16 prospect... which now means a good one in this system.

From the MLB prospect ranking:

Quote:
Jordan Stephens | Rank: 16 (Preseason: 13)
Team: Birmingham Barons (AA) ETA: 2018
Position: RHP Age: 24 DOB: 09/12/1992
Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 1" Weight: 190 lb.
Drafted: 2015, 5th (142) - CWS

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Projected as a possible third-round pick in 2014, Stephens blew out his elbow three starts into his junior season at Rice and had Tommy John surgery instead. He rejoined the Owls rotation midway through the following spring and pitched his way into the fifth round in 2015, signing for a below-slot $300,000. His first full pro season went well, as he made 27 healthy starts and led the Class A Advanced Carolina League in strikeouts (155) and strikeout rate (9.9 per nine innings).

Stephens relies heavily on his lone plus pitch, an upper-70s curveball with good depth. His fastball operates in the low 90s and is effective because he hides it and commands it well. He has trouble against left-handers because his changeup is fringy, and he'll also mix in a decent slider.

Though he had a successful 2016 as a starter, Stephens may be better suited for the bullpen in the long run. Although he held up and maintained his stuff last year, his smaller stature and his medical history are concerns. His fastball has sat at 93-96 mph in shorter stints and his competitiveness would work well in a late-inning role.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
You think Eloy goes AA?
It wouldn't surprise me if he were moved up before season's end.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
The report on Stephens is good. Currently our #16 prospect... which now means a good one in this system.

From the MLB prospect ranking:
Hmmm. I wonder if he is just killing lower competition, or has good stuff. He is destroying them in AA right now. And he pitches long into games.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

According to the Charolette gun, Giolito has been throwing 94-96 all night tonight. Very good news.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if he is just killing lower competition, or has good stuff. He is destroying them in AA right now. And he pitches long into games.
If he is doing it at AA that is a very good sign. The competition leap from A+ to AA is a big one. Very encouraging that he is pitching so well. Given the depth in the system I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes trade bait. He'll probably struggle to get an opportunity with Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Fulmer, Adams, all ahead of him and Hansen, Cease, Dunning, and Flores coming up fast behind. But it appears he definitely belongs in the conversation.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
According to the Charolette gun, Giolito has been throwing 94-96 all night tonight. Very good news.
Giolito's secondary numbers aren't bad. They aren't as dominant as we would like for such a high ranking prospect but they aren't bad. More K's than IP's. More than twice as many IP's as BB's. More than twice as many K's than BB's. That's all good. Though fewer walks and fewer HR's would make for better all around numbers. I think he's going to figure it out and be just fine. The stuff is clearly still there.

Same with Lopez. His numbers aren't as outstanding as I would like but they aren't bad either and his walk total is lower so that is good.

Fulmer on the other hand has very bad secondary numbers with more hits given up than IP's and barely a 2-to-1 IP to walk rate with less than 50% more K's than BB's. That's not good.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Reynaldo is ready for a call up.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Giolito's secondary numbers aren't bad. They aren't as dominant as we would like for such a high ranking prospect but they aren't bad. More K's than IP's. More than twice as many IP's as BB's. More than twice as many K's than BB's. That's all good. Though fewer walks and fewer HR's would make for better all around numbers. I think he's going to figure it out and be just fine. The stuff is clearly still there.

Same with Lopez. His numbers aren't as outstanding as I would like but they aren't bad either and his walk total is lower so that is good.

Fulmer on the other hand has very bad secondary numbers with more hits given up than IP's and barely a 2-to-1 IP to walk rate with less than 50% more K's than BB's. That's not good.

What are Gio's "luck" stats? Are people getting lucky with him more than they would normally or is everything going by norms?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

The home runs are what's killing him this year, and that's attributable to both poor FB command and a drop in velo. If he really is up to 94-96 again then that will at least allow him to get away with a lot more mistakes in the zone than when he was rolling them up there at 89-91.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Reynaldo is ready for a call up.
Eh, his last four starts have been great but he was really scuffling before that. I'd keep him down for a few more starts to see if he can remain consistent. He probably has 60-70 more innings before he's shut down anyway.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I'm urging caution here. Is he *throwing* at 94-96, or is he actually pitching? How's his secondary stuff, most notably his changeup?

Though the increased velocity is good, we know it's not the be-all end-all.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I'm urging caution here. Is he *throwing* at 94-96, or is he actually pitching? How's his secondary stuff, most notably his changeup?

Though the increased velocity is good, we know it's not the be-all end-all.
Gio actually has said James Shields spotted something when he was rehabbing in AAA and recommended an adjustment, so I am encouraged by this. Shields arm may be shot, but he was a really hard worker and a hell of a pitcher in his prime.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Gio actually has said James Shields spotted something when he was rehabbing in AAA and recommended an adjustment, so I am encouraged by this. Shields arm may be shot, but he was a really hard worker and a hell of a pitcher in his prime.
There’s a lot to be said for having veterans around teaching the young pitchers how to pitch and how to approach the game. The staff will need that type of presence for the next several years as the team's best prospects are brought up.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Baseball America updates its White Sox top 10:

1. Yoan Moncada, 2B
2. Eloy Jimenez, OF
3. Michael Kopech, RHP
4. Luis Robert, OF
5. Reynaldo Lopez, RHP
6. Lucas Giolito, RHP
7. Dylan Cease, RHP
8. Jake Burger, 3B
9. Dane Dunning, RHP