White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Collins had a decent game at the plate last night.

For all the hand wringing and writing off of Collins as bust, consider that he still has not played two full seasons of minor league baseball. He still has fewer plate appearances in the minor leagues than Frank Thomas did, and Frank Thomas had just ONE job in the minors (hitting), and Frank Thomas was seen as having a “major league ready bat” when he was drafted.

Collins has three things to work on: hitting, his defensive role as catcher, and his work with pitchers.

Among position players, catchers (and switch hitters) - on average - take the longest to develop.

Let’s be patient with Collins. Just because Zavala is out-hitting Collins right now, or even if Zavala makes the majors before Collins, DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN COLLINS IS A BUST.
True, but I have to admit that Collins hitting about 0.050 so far this year (going into yesterday's game) makes me concerned about his progress. Nice to see that he got 2 doubles last night.

Margalus has a short write up about him this morning along with video clips of his two doubles from last night:
https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/04/2...april-24-2018/
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Today should be an interesting day as far as minor league pitching prospects go. Kopech, Clarkin, and Cease get the start for their respective teams. The Charlotte game (at Louisville) starts at 10:00am Chicago time!
Kopech doing Kopech things (so far) - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, and 3 Ks.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Kopech doing Kopech things (so far) - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, and 3 Ks.
Finished with 8 Ks over 6 IP. Just 1 hit allowed and 2 walks. At some point it doesn't do any good keeping him in the minors anymore.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Finished with 8 Ks over 6 IP. Just 1 hit allowed and 2 walks. At some point it doesn't do any good keeping him in the minors anymore.
Kd Nick Senzel 3x.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
His fastball is good enough to strike out AAA lineups. But major league hitters can cheat on it. He needs to perfect his changeup command to keep them guessing. Itís a perfectly reasonable explanation to keep him in Charlotte until the Super Two date passes in June.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
His fastball is good enough to strike out AAA lineups. But major league hitters can cheat on it. He needs to perfect his changeup command to keep them guessing. Itís a perfectly reasonable explanation to keep him in Charlotte until the Super Two date passes in June.
His fastball is good enough to strikeout anyone at any level. Cheating on a fastball happens at all levels of baseball, and it's actually less prevalent in the majors as they have superior bat speed and need to be able to cover plus off speed pitches as well.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
I'm not saying rush him up before the Super Two date passes but once it does he should get the call to the majors if he is still dominating in AAA
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm not saying rush him up before the Super Two date passes but once it does he should get the call to the majors if he is still dominating in AAA
And I think that's what's ultimately going to happen.

I think Kopech comes up sometime in mid-June, and either Fulmer goes to the bullpen, or Gonzalez (if he isn't still there) goes to (or stays on) the DL.

Then, I think Rodon comes up when he's ready. That might be at the All-Star break. Then, either Fulmer or Shields goes to the bullpen.

Going into the second half, the rotation could be Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, and either Fulmer or Shields.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I think Kopech comes up sometime in mid-June, and either Fulmer goes to the bullpen, or Gonzalez (if he isn't still there) goes to (or stays on) the DL.

Then, I think Rodon comes up when he's ready. That might be at the All-Star break. Then, either Fulmer or Shields goes to the bullpen.

Going into the second half, the rotation could be Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, and either Fulmer or Shields.
Last week Rodon said he's shooting for end of May as a return date, so he could be back much more quickly than anticipated.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

If we can push Gonzalez and Shields out of this rotation, we will be better for it.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Micker and Basabe stand out in A plus today while Collins had another good game. Some good things happening currently. Hopefully this becomes a trend for Collins and a break out of a slump. I don't mind being proven wrong.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Micker and Basabe stand out in A plus today while Collins had another good game. Some good things happening currently. Hopefully this becomes a trend for Collins and a break out of a slump. I don't mind being proven wrong.
Huge night for Alex Call (4-4) and Gavin Sheets is now hitting .295- off to a really nice start in his 1st full season.

Booker hitting .373, at age 24- I think he needs to me moved up to AA, let Call/Basabe/Rutherford play every day.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Huge night for Alex Call (4-4) and Gavin Sheets is now hitting .295- off to a really nice start in his 1st full season.

Booker hitting .373, at age 24- I think he needs to me moved up to AA, let Call/Basabe/Rutherford play every day.
Agreed on the last point, and he probably goes the moment Robert comes in. Still a glut, but it gives each player a day off here and there. Here's to hoping Adolfo's scans come back well.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Great outing by Kopech yesterday. But, not so great outings by Cease and Clarkin last night.

Quote:
He was 2 for 4 with a walk for the night including this HR off the scoreboard:
http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...80783&sid=t247
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Agreed on the last point, and he probably goes the moment Robert comes in. Still a glut, but it gives each player a day off here and there. Here's to hoping Adolfo's scans come back well.
No big deal- but i wouldn't wait- just move him- and he can play along with Jimenez and Polo, then move Basabe up when Robert is back and Jimenez will likely be moving up to AAA by end of June.
Closed Thread