White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #286  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Collins had a decent game at the plate last night.

For all the hand wringing and writing off of Collins as bust, consider that he still has not played two full seasons of minor league baseball. He still has fewer plate appearances in the minor leagues than Frank Thomas did, and Frank Thomas had just ONE job in the minors (hitting), and Frank Thomas was seen as having a “major league ready bat” when he was drafted.

Collins has three things to work on: hitting, his defensive role as catcher, and his work with pitchers.

Among position players, catchers (and switch hitters) - on average - take the longest to develop.

Let’s be patient with Collins. Just because Zavala is out-hitting Collins right now, or even if Zavala makes the majors before Collins, DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN COLLINS IS A BUST.
True, but I have to admit that Collins hitting about 0.050 so far this year (going into yesterday's game) makes me concerned about his progress. Nice to see that he got 2 doubles last night.

Margalus has a short write up about him this morning along with video clips of his two doubles from last night:
https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/04/2...april-24-2018/
  #287  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Today should be an interesting day as far as minor league pitching prospects go. Kopech, Clarkin, and Cease get the start for their respective teams. The Charlotte game (at Louisville) starts at 10:00am Chicago time!
Kopech doing Kopech things (so far) - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, and 3 Ks.
  #288  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Kopech doing Kopech things (so far) - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, and 3 Ks.
Finished with 8 Ks over 6 IP. Just 1 hit allowed and 2 walks. At some point it doesn't do any good keeping him in the minors anymore.
  #289  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Finished with 8 Ks over 6 IP. Just 1 hit allowed and 2 walks. At some point it doesn't do any good keeping him in the minors anymore.
Kd Nick Senzel 3x.
  #290  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,586
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Finished with 8 Ks over 6 IP. Just 1 hit allowed and 2 walks. At some point it doesn't do any good keeping him in the minors anymore.
His fastball is good enough to strike out AAA lineups. But major league hitters can cheat on it. He needs to perfect his changeup command to keep them guessing. Itís a perfectly reasonable explanation to keep him in Charlotte until the Super Two date passes in June.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #291  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:47 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
His fastball is good enough to strike out AAA lineups. But major league hitters can cheat on it. He needs to perfect his changeup command to keep them guessing. Itís a perfectly reasonable explanation to keep him in Charlotte until the Super Two date passes in June.
His fastball is good enough to strikeout anyone at any level. Cheating on a fastball happens at all levels of baseball, and it's actually less prevalent in the majors as they have superior bat speed and need to be able to cover plus off speed pitches as well.
  #292  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
His fastball is good enough to strike out AAA lineups. But major league hitters can cheat on it. He needs to perfect his changeup command to keep them guessing. Itís a perfectly reasonable explanation to keep him in Charlotte until the Super Two date passes in June.
I'm not saying rush him up before the Super Two date passes but once it does he should get the call to the majors if he is still dominating in AAA
  #293  
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,586
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I'm not saying rush him up before the Super Two date passes but once it does he should get the call to the majors if he is still dominating in AAA
And I think that's what's ultimately going to happen.

I think Kopech comes up sometime in mid-June, and either Fulmer goes to the bullpen, or Gonzalez (if he isn't still there) goes to (or stays on) the DL.

Then, I think Rodon comes up when he's ready. That might be at the All-Star break. Then, either Fulmer or Shields goes to the bullpen.

Going into the second half, the rotation could be Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, and either Fulmer or Shields.
  #294  
Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 PM
shes shes is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
And I think that's what's ultimately going to happen.

I think Kopech comes up sometime in mid-June, and either Fulmer goes to the bullpen, or Gonzalez (if he isn't still there) goes to (or stays on) the DL.

Then, I think Rodon comes up when he's ready. That might be at the All-Star break. Then, either Fulmer or Shields goes to the bullpen.

Going into the second half, the rotation could be Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, and either Fulmer or Shields.
Last week Rodon said he's shooting for end of May as a return date, so he could be back much more quickly than anticipated.
  #295  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
And I think that's what's ultimately going to happen.

I think Kopech comes up sometime in mid-June, and either Fulmer goes to the bullpen, or Gonzalez (if he isn't still there) goes to (or stays on) the DL.

Then, I think Rodon comes up when he's ready. That might be at the All-Star break. Then, either Fulmer or Shields goes to the bullpen.

Going into the second half, the rotation could be Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, and either Fulmer or Shields.
If we can push Gonzalez and Shields out of this rotation, we will be better for it.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #296  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,723
Default

Micker and Basabe stand out in A plus today while Collins had another good game. Some good things happening currently. Hopefully this becomes a trend for Collins and a break out of a slump. I don't mind being proven wrong.
  #297  
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Micker and Basabe stand out in A plus today while Collins had another good game. Some good things happening currently. Hopefully this becomes a trend for Collins and a break out of a slump. I don't mind being proven wrong.
Huge night for Alex Call (4-4) and Gavin Sheets is now hitting .295- off to a really nice start in his 1st full season.

Booker hitting .373, at age 24- I think he needs to me moved up to AA, let Call/Basabe/Rutherford play every day.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
Players that are an important part of the rebuild:
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
  #298  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Huge night for Alex Call (4-4) and Gavin Sheets is now hitting .295- off to a really nice start in his 1st full season.

Booker hitting .373, at age 24- I think he needs to me moved up to AA, let Call/Basabe/Rutherford play every day.
Agreed on the last point, and he probably goes the moment Robert comes in. Still a glut, but it gives each player a day off here and there. Here's to hoping Adolfo's scans come back well.
  #299  
Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,411
Default

Great outing by Kopech yesterday. But, not so great outings by Cease and Clarkin last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Micker and Basabe stand out in A plus today while Collins had another good game. Some good things happening currently. Hopefully this becomes a trend for Collins and a break out of a slump. I don't mind being proven wrong.
He was 2 for 4 with a walk for the night including this HR off the scoreboard:
http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...80783&sid=t247
  #300  
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Agreed on the last point, and he probably goes the moment Robert comes in. Still a glut, but it gives each player a day off here and there. Here's to hoping Adolfo's scans come back well.
No big deal- but i wouldn't wait- just move him- and he can play along with Jimenez and Polo, then move Basabe up when Robert is back and Jimenez will likely be moving up to AAA by end of June.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.