Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
He’s not wrong...
Have the Sox announced that this was their last move of the off-season?!

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 PM
WSI Personality

I like McCann a lot. I hope he stays here. But if we can package him and upgrade RF, for example, toodle-oo!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd rather $18MM/year be spent on starting pitching than a 31 year old catcher. Catcher was not a problem for the sox moving forward and if this was done so that they could continue to develop Collins, it was a waste. He doesn't have MLB defense or an MLB bat, just move on already
Old 11-21-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI Prelate

So now that Grandal is in the fold, maybe the catching duties should be split by starting pitcher:

McCann: Giolito and whoever the free agent addition is. The McCann pairing with Giolito should be preserved whenever possible. Plus, the downgrade in framing will be less pronounced with guys who can throw strikes.

Grandal: Cease, Lopez, and Kopech. Those guys will benefit from the extra framing runs and the better offensive support.

Collins: Occasional fill-in duty for McCann against tough RHP, occasional fill-in duty for Grandal when Grandal plays 1B or DH against RHP, and maybe he can click with a starter and become that guy’s personal catcher after the All Star break.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
I'd rather $18MM/year be spent on starting pitching than a 31 year old catcher. Catcher was not a problem for the sox moving forward and if this was done so that they could continue to develop Collins, it was a waste. He doesn't have MLB defense or an MLB bat, just move on already
I'm with you on this deal, just don't think he's worth that kind of money.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He is 24 and has 100 MLB ABs, pump the brakes.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Have the Sox announced that this was their last move of the off-season?!
No, and that is not what he said. He said that if the Grandal move results in worse pitchers being acquired, then it’s just more of the same old White Sox bull****. And he’s not wrong about that.

Garfien Tweeted that this is “not just a splash, it’s a cannonball.” That couldn’t be further from the truth. 4/$73 is not a “splash.” 7/$173 is a “splash.” 4/$73 is basically Adam Dunn’s 4/$56, adjusted for a decade of inflated MLB payrolls.

If the White Sox consider this a “cannonball” instead of a nice secondary or spectacular tertiary addition, we’re screwed.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No, and that is not what he said. He said that if the Grandal move results in worse pitchers being acquired, then it’s just more of the same old White Sox bull****. And he’s not wrong about that.

Garfien Tweeted that this is “not just a splash, it’s a cannonball.” That couldn’t be further from the truth. 4/$73 is not a “splash.” 7/$173 is a “splash.” 4/$73 is basically Adam Dunn’s 4/$56, adjusted for a decade of inflated MLB payrolls.

If the White Sox consider this a “cannonball” instead of a nice secondary or spectacular tertiary addition, we’re screwed.
Wow! It must be great to possess a crystal ball such that you can proclaim this as a fact!

I swear some of you guys can’t ever stray from the Sox are ****ing everything up narrative for one moment
Old 11-21-2019, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Wow! It must be great to possess a crystal ball such that you can proclaim this as a fact!

I swear some of you guys can’t ever stray from the Sox are ****ing everything up narrative for one moment
I didn’t predict or proclaim anything. Munch didn’t, either. What we said was that this signing needs to be further down the pecking order when it comes to fortifying this team from outside. We absolutely need a pitcher signing that rates more significantly than this signing, and we need an outfielder signing that rates more significantly than, or at least just as significantly as, this signing. Another back-end starter may be needed as well, either now or at the trade deadline.

Those acquisitions don’t have to all take place this offseason, but they do have to take place before Opening Day 2021.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM
WSI Personality

I love how disagreeing with the White Sox Can Do No Wrong! narrative basically makes you a bad fan. I love this signing but I'm not also about to say a 4 year / $73m deal wipes away decades of small-market spending habits. I'm absolutely encouraged with getting Grandal and breaking the salary record, but if you now look at each team's largest contract in their franchise history, this is the 5th lowest among all MLB teams. That's almost unacceptable considering the team is in the 3rd largest market.

The offseason isn't over. I'm cautiously optimistic more is to come, which hopefully means Wheeler (or even Cole).
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Please, tell me more how you're so much better than the rest of us.
Don't put words in my mouth. I'm simply saying people around here can't ever let anything go no matter how long ago it was.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Catcher absolutely was a need. McCann is a huge risk to regress in 2020 and is a free agent in 2021. The catcher position needed to be filled, and I agree with you that Collins can't be counted on. Grandal is literally one of the best catchers in all of baseball.

I agree that starting pitching continues to be a need, yet nonetheless I feel comfortable celebrating this signing, which to me signals the Sox plan to be aggressive.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I love how disagreeing with the White Sox Can Do No Wrong! narrative basically makes you a bad fan. I love this signing but I'm not also about to say a 4 year / $73m deal wipes away decades of small-market spending habits. I'm absolutely encouraged with getting Grandal and breaking the salary record, but if you now look at each team's largest contract in their franchise history, this is the 5th lowest among all MLB teams. That's almost unacceptable considering the team is in the 3rd largest market.

The offseason isn't over. I'm cautiously optimistic more is to come, which hopefully means Wheeler (or even Cole).
Sure, they are in the large Chicago market, but have only 25% of the fans in it. They are very much more in line with the Cardinals, Rockies, Orioles, etc in terms of what their marketshare and spending should be.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He’s not wrong...
No he's not, but the post is unnecessarily/seemingly maliciously pouring water on the excitement of the signing or in much plainer terms:

On another note, a big **** you to the McNeil & Parkins Show who, in their first interview with Yasmani Grandal, posed the below question to the catcher immediately after he called in:

"Why the White Sox?"
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Grandal is literally one of the best catchers in all of baseball.

I agree that starting pitching continues to be a need, yet nonetheless I feel comfortable celebrating this signing, which to me signals the Sox plan to be aggressive.
Well, if you're going to take a balanced, nuanced position like that we just can't help you here.