White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
The Mar website says they will air other local sports, so they seemingly don't plan to be 24 7 cubs content. I'm sure if they did, they'd have named it the Cubs Network.
They need to make sure Tom Ricketts reads their memos. I heard him on The Score explaining that it will show Cub games and Cub farm team games during the season (along with commentary talking head programming to wax poetic about the team). He said that during the offseason, there would be Cub commentary and possibly Sinclair sports programming to fill the time.

No mention of the Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Fire, etc. Heck, they are all under contract anyway, so the Cub network is off limits to them.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They need to make sure Tom Ricketts reads their memos. I heard him on The Score explaining that it will show Cub games and Cub farm team games during the season (along with commentary talking head programming to wax poetic about the team). He said that during the offseason, there would be Cub commentary and possibly Sinclair sports programming to fill the time.

No mention of the Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Fire, etc. Heck, they are all under contract anyway, so the Cub network is off limits to them.
I would assume a healthy amount of college basketball would be available.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

We've received an apologetic letter from RCN notifying us of increased rates because of Marquee. RCN expected the increase to be partially offset by a reduction from NBC Sports Chicago, but the pricing set by Marquee was "substantially greater."

Fun fact: Marquee has placed a cap on the discounting available to bulk properties, effectively preventing the cable company from providing lowest pricing to buildings or complexes that bring in hundreds of customers in one bulk contract.

Comcast has more customers than RCN; does that give them more bargaining power? Or does that just mean more Cub-fan customers that must have Marquee?

I can only daydream of the downfall that hubris and greed will bring upon the Rickettses, and hope to live that long.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 02-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
We've received an apologetic letter from RCN notifying us of increased rates because of Marquee. RCN expected the increase to be partially offset by a reduction from NBC Sports Chicago, but the pricing set by Marquee was "substantially greater."

Fun fact: Marquee has placed a cap on the discounting available to bulk properties, effectively preventing the cable company from providing lowest pricing to buildings or complexes that bring in hundreds of customers in one bulk contract.

Comcast has more customers than RCN; does that give them more bargaining power? Or does that just mean more Cub-fan customers that must have Marquee?

I can only daydream of the downfall that hubris and greed will bring upon the Rickettses, and hope to live that long.
Are the contracts these cable providers have with networks for multiple years? If RCN is sending a letter apologizing to its customers, I wonder if they would just consider dropping the channel out right if enough customers cut the cord.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Are the contracts these cable providers have with networks for multiple years? If RCN is sending a letter apologizing to its customers, I wonder if they would just consider dropping the channel out right if enough customers cut the cord.
Note I said "apologetic," which is my own opinion of their tone. Nowhere do they use the word apologize. Not to be pedantic, WS, I just don't want to be accused of misquotation.

So what choice would Cub fans have to watch the games if they dropped cable? Will Marquee be streamable in live time?

Maybe Paulwny knows what happened with Adephia (see post above). If Yankees fan threatened, back in the day, to drop Adelphia unless Adelphia carried YES, how did these fans plan to watch Yankees games with no cable at all? Was there a competing cable company in the same area that carried YES that they could switch to? Or some other way to get YES? If not, then weren't the Yankees fans just saying "I will do without Yankees games AND everything else you offer on cable just to punish you for not carrying YES"? I must be missing something.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Note I said "apologetic," which is my own opinion of their tone. Nowhere do they use the word apologize. Not to be pedantic, WS, I just don't want to be accused of misquotation.

So what choice would Cub fans have to watch the games if they dropped cable? Will Marquee be streamable in live time?

Maybe Paulwny knows what happened with Adephia (see post above). If Yankees fan threatened, back in the day, to drop Adelphia unless Adelphia carried YES, how did these fans plan to watch Yankees games with no cable at all? Was there a competing cable company in the same area that carried YES that they could switch to? Or some other way to get YES? If not, then weren't the Yankees fans just saying "I will do without Yankees games AND everything else you offer on cable just to punish you for not carrying YES"? I must be missing something.
Well when YES launched, there weren't a lot of alternatives to cable other than over the air TV. Now there's a ton of streaming options so if you don't want to watch sports, you don't have to.

For fans who want to be able to get the channel, I'm not sure what they can do if cable providers don't carry it. I don't think it will be streamable in market because I think MLB sets those rules, not the individual teams or networks.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

A long time ago, if I remember correctly the only other option was satellite. They were't including the YES Net, so as you stated the yankee fans threatened to go satellite to punish Adelphia. These were the only 2 options available at the time.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
A long time ago, if I remember correctly the only other option was satellite. They were't including the YES Net, so as you stated the yankee fans threatened to go satellite to punish Adelphia. These were the only 2 options available at the time.
Thanks. You're right, that was a while back. Even so, it doesn't appear that even nowadays there are many other options to get MLB games.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Thanks. You're right, that was a while back. Even so, it doesn't appear that even nowadays there are many other options to get MLB games.
mlb.tv is AMAZING!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
mlb.tv is AMAZING!
If you live in Chicago, you won't be able to see any Chicago games via MLB.tv.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If you live in Chicago, you won't be able to see any Chicago games via MLB.tv.
Depends on how savvy you are on the internet!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

They signed a contract with Hulu so that people with Hulu (with live TV) in Chicagoland can watch the games.

Hope Comcast holds out and doesn't raise everybody's no prices...
Old 02-18-2020, 02:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
They signed a contract with Hulu so that people with Hulu (with live TV) in Chicagoland can watch the games.

Hope Comcast holds out and doesn't raise everybody's no prices...
Hulu+ Live TV which is $54.99/month(!)

I don't know if I would necessarily be happy were I a fan. That's a pretty heavy chunk of change that not a lot of people could/would be willing to commit, coming from the same team that's crying broke effectively projecting to the rest of the fan base that they will be unable to retain one of the best players in team history.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Hulu+ Live TV which is $54.99/month(!)

I don't know if I would necessarily be happy were I a fan. That's a pretty heavy chunk of change that not a lot of people could/would be willing to commit, coming from the same team that's crying broke effectively projecting to the rest of the fan base that they will be unable to retain one of the best players in team history.
You get a bunch of channels on Hulu Live, so I guess if you're a cord-cutter who wants to get Cubs (and Sox games, NBC Sports Chicago is on Hulu-Live as well), it is a good way to go. The problem is it costs about as much as cable, so there's not a lot of savings.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You get a bunch of channels on Hulu Live, so I guess if you're a cord-cutter who wants to get Cubs (and Sox games, NBC Sports Chicago is on Hulu-Live as well), it is a good way to go. The problem is it costs about as much as cable, so there's not a lot of savings.

I wonder if Hulu Live is going to raise their monthly subscription fee for all Cubs viewing market subscribers to account for Marquee's carriage fee?