White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:42 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Both Troutwine and Perez are aging out quickly. Both are 23 and are at A and A+ respectively and both posted OPS under .700 at their respective levels last year. When you are posting an OPS of .686 in A Ball at the age of 23 and will soon be 24 you really aren't a prospect anymore.
You're probably right about Troutwine. He is older than Perez and has only 317 minor league at-bats to date. But if you're a solid defensive catcher and aren't completely lost with the bat, you're always a prospect.

Perez will be 23 for the entire 2020 season, and is likely to spend most of it at Birmingham. He didn't have a great year with the bat, but he improved his BB/K ratio from 4/31 to 24/26.

I would be surprised if anyone is writing off Perez. I read the article as being more excited about the kids they ranked #4 and #5.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Baseball America says keep an eye on Benyamin Bailey https://twitter.com/baseballamerica/...390348800?s=21

Rated 9th in the DSL league. 6'4" and 215 lbs at the age of 18. Tons of raw power, good speed, but apparently he already has a great batting eye; he has a 21% walk rate

It's way too early for anyone to call him a stud but he's already showing flashes. I like that plate discipline.
FutureSox has a new write up on Benyamin Bailey:
http://futuresox.com/index.php/2020/...-the-benyamin/
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
FutureSox has a new write up on Benyamin Bailey:
http://futuresox.com/index.php/2020/...-the-benyamin/
They also released their “ Just Missed” article in advance of their top 30 list coming Wednesday.

http://futuresox.com/index.php/2020/...n-2020-top-30/
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
They also released their “ Just Missed” article in advance of their top 30 list coming Wednesday.

http://futuresox.com/index.php/2020/...n-2020-top-30/
Some interesting names (a few teenagers) on the just-missed list. Too bad Alec Hansen has fallen off so far after being a Top 100 prospect a couple of years ago. Future Sox has their Top 30 list out today:
http://futuresox.com/2020/02/11/top-...reseason-2020/
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:05 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

Good write up about Jonathan Stiever on South Side Hit Pen:
https://southsidehitpen.com/2020/02/...ard-greatness/
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Some interesting names (a few teenagers) on the just-missed list. Too bad Alec Hansen has fallen off so far after being a Top 100 prospect a couple of years ago. Future Sox has their Top 30 list out today:
http://futuresox.com/2020/02/11/top-...reseason-2020/
Just such a lack of insight into so many players. For example, you shouldn’t bother putting a pitcher in without telling us about his stuff and repertoire.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Just such a lack of insight into so many players. For example, you shouldn’t bother putting a pitcher in without telling us about his stuff and repertoire.
It looks like FutureSox has more details about the top 30 picks from 2 of their writers behind a pay wall. I'm not a subscriber, so I can't comment on whether the content is worth $2/month.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:30 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,908
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Good write up about Jonathan Stiever on South Side Hit Pen:
https://southsidehitpen.com/2020/02/...ard-greatness/
Nice. I'm excited about Stiever.
Zaleski is doing work too.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-18-2020, 08:51 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

I know spring training brings out the "reporting to spring training in the best shape of their life" stories (usually for aging veteran players), but here's a write-up from South Side Hit Pen about Madrigal and Rutherford doing strength training and adding muscle during the offseason:
https://southsidehitpen.com/2020/02/...okies-impress/
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-22-2020, 10:47 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,734
Default

Future Sox takes a look at Dane Dunning's return from Tommy John surgery. Things look good so far in his bullpen sessions and he's scheduled to throw live batting practice next Friday. In an earlier comment, I believe Rick Hahn said they expect Dunning to be back to minor league action around "June-ish".

http://futuresox.com/2020/02/21/dane...without-issue/
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:22 AM
blurry blurry is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,200
Default

Everyone's favorite person Keith Law has released his top 100: https://theathletic.com/1627163/2020...ects-for-2020/

6. Robert
16. Kopech
28. Vaughn

Law has always been really low on Madrigal so the fact he didn't even rank him in the top 100 isn't surprising.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 AM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 3,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Everyone's favorite person Keith Law has released his top 100: https://theathletic.com/1627163/2020...ects-for-2020/

6. Robert
16. Kopech
28. Vaughn

Law has always been really low on Madrigal so the fact he didn't even rank him in the top 100 isn't surprising.
Does he still think Chris Sale stinks? I heard his slider is bad because of his arm change up won’t fool big leaguers when he throws it out of the zone, and his mechanics will never be repeatable enough for consistency.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Everyone's favorite person Keith Law has released his top 100: https://theathletic.com/1627163/2020...ects-for-2020/

6. Robert
16. Kopech
28. Vaughn

Law has always been really low on Madrigal so the fact he didn't even rank him in the top 100 isn't surprising.
I thought I'd read somewhere that he wasn't a fan of the Robert signing. He has him at #6 BTW. That's lower than most.

Reading Law's responses to people wondering why Madrigal wasn't included has led me to root for Madrigal even more. I hope he makes him look stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I thought I'd read somewhere that he wasn't a fan of the Robert signing. He has him at #6 BTW. That's lower than most.

Reading Law's responses to people wondering why Madrigal wasn't included has led me to root for Madrigal even more. I hope he makes him look stupid.
I feel like it doesn't take much to make Law look stupid. He's one of those guys who I think struggles to see the forest from the trees sometimes.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 AM
blurry blurry is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Does he still think Chris Sale stinks? I heard his slider is bad because of his arm change up won’t fool big leaguers when he throws it out of the zone, and his mechanics will never be repeatable enough for consistency.
He finally admitted he was wrong about Chris Sale but never apologized for flat out insulting people who disagreed with him. It took him years to admit he was wrong about Sale. That's what I like about other prospects lists from people and sites like Sickels, BA, Fangraphs, etc - they can admit they're wrong and aren't jerks about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I feel like it doesn't take much to make Law look stupid. He's one of those guys who I think struggles to see the forest from the trees sometimes.
He also comes off as a guy who likes the smell of his own farts. He's smart and overall is pretty good at what he does but other than his attitude he definitely has some biased opinions.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.