GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I am positive that every other 100 loss rebuilding team played flawless baseball and executed all the fundamentals to perfection. The White Sox are the only team ever to look this bad while rebuilding.
[emphasis mine]

Or this consistent.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-04-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
I am positive that every other 100 loss rebuilding team played flawless baseball and executed all the fundamentals to perfection. The White Sox are the only team ever to look this bad while rebuilding.
Nope they all played fundamentally sound baseball on their way to 100 loses for multiple years in a row
Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Cubs committed roughly $400 million to Heyward, Lester, Lackey, and Zobrist.
Thank you.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I wonder if during their rebuild the players knew what base to throw to, the number of outs, where to throw the ball in every situation, back up a base, tag second base when attempting a 6-4-3 double play, retouch all established bases in reverse order on a live ball, communicate between fielders so as not to kill one another and last but not least: hustle.
No, they didn't.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-03-2018, 10:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Rizzo trade is questionable and may have been an insider deal, so I can't count that.
Which Crede homers counted, again?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Which Crede homers counted, again?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Nope they all played fundamentally sound baseball on their way to 100 loses for multiple years in a row
In fact, the White Sox are the only organization that doesn’t emphasize fundamentals. Every other major league club executes fundamentals flawlessly because all of their minor league players are drilled endlessly, and if one ever makes a mistake he is cut instantly.

More than that, JR, KW, Hahn, and Cooper (because he has photos of the other three in compromising positions) spend each offseason meticulously planning how they will get players acquired from other organizations to forget how to hit the other way or execute a rundown.

For instance, most recently they perfected the Ludovico Technique on Yoan Moncada; he becomes nauseous every time a chopper bounces his way thanks to the sprays of ammonia in his nose that he receives while watching footage of Nellie Fox.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
In fact, the White Sox are the only organization that doesn’t emphasize fundamentals. Every other major league club executes fundamentals flawlessly because all of their minor league players are drilled endlessly, and if one ever makes a mistake he is cut instantly.

More than that, JR, KW, Hahn, and Cooper (because he has photos of the other three in compromising positions) spend each offseason meticulously planning how they will get players acquired from other organizations to forget how to hit the other way or execute a rundown.

For instance, most recently they perfected the Ludovico Technique on Yoan Moncada; he becomes nauseous every time a chopper bounces his way thanks to the sprays of ammonia in his nose that he receives while watching footage of Nellie Fox.
Normally, I’d fault the excessive hyperbolic nature of this post, but it’s a well-crafted response given the rampant ridiculousness around these parts by a handful of folks.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
No, every other team does not teach fundamentals flawlessly. This team drafts those same players, maybe athletes opposed to pure baseball players, and those players have the basics to learn. I am not sure how well schooled the international players are when it comes to the fundamentals. As we've seen the fans these days, and many on this forum tend to prefer the crash, boom, bang of the game than the well executed, tight contests of the past.

Now, with Getz in charge I have a much better feeling about players learning the basics before moving to MLB.

Quote:

“It is certainly impossible to lose respect if you lose out of some stupid discussions.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
Old 07-04-2018, 01:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
As we've seen the fans these days, and many on this forum tend to prefer the crash, boom, bang of the game than the well executed, tight contests of the past.
I have no preference other than seeing the White Sox make the best possible effort toward winning another World Series. The evidence being provided by advanced analytics suggests that “crash, boom, bang” is the best way to win baseball games. I am doing nothing more than following that evidence.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Doesn't that evidence (cite some please) run counter to the evidence that Billy Beane followed in Moneyball?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Doesn't that evidence (cite some please) run counter to the evidence that Billy Beane followed in Moneyball?
Moneyball was all about sabermetric analysis especially the undervaluing of walks/OBP. It actually fits in well with the current "3-outcome" thinking that some have derided. One of those outcomes, after all, is taking a walk.

From there the analysis tries to figure out what is the most likely way to get a hit? Is it to go the other way or lay down bunts or turn and burn on a regular basis. The evidence seems to support turning and burning even against shifts.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Normally, I’d fault the excessive hyperbolic nature of this post, but it’s a well-crafted response given the rampant ridiculousness around these parts by a handful of folks.
Indeed. I know everyone as a fan wants a winning product, and it would be nice to see consistently good fundamentals. However, I’m sure there are fans of every team—particularly the kind of highly invested fans who would post about their team on the internet—that would take issue with their team’s fundamentals, bullpen usage, managerial decisions, performance of touted prospects, et cetera. The White Sox are by no means the only team that struggles in certain areas, and it’s magnified because it’s a young team. I’m just doing my best to enjoy the parts of the season that I can, knowing it won’t be a playoff year.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Indeed. I know everyone as a fan wants a winning product, and it would be nice to see consistently good fundamentals. However, I’m sure there are fans of every team—particularly the kind of highly invested fans who would post about their team on the internet—that would take issue with their team’s fundamentals, bullpen usage, managerial decisions, performance of touted prospects, et cetera. The White Sox are by no means the only team that struggles in certain areas, and it’s magnified because it’s a young team. I’m just doing my best to enjoy the parts of the season that I can, knowing it won’t be a playoff year.
Some truth in your comment. However I'd temper it with the fact that the Sox what have the third longest playoff drought in MLB? (I think only Seattle and San Diego have longer?) That plus the bad baseball pretty consistently since 2007 (not 2013 as some are saying) means other fan bases at least have had the "luxury" of some success in the same time period.

Hard to be happy or have patience when the view has basically been the same the past 11 years (and counting)
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
Here is Tom Tango’s Run Expectancy Matrix, an oft-cited piece of evidence that explains why trading outs for bases is often a losing proposition:

http://tangotiger.net/re24.html