And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
Question: what is the purpose of this type of move? I'm not passing judgement on the transaction....I don't know anything about Tocci. I'm just curious about why select a player that you just flip for cash?

Again, I'm not criticizing the move, I'm just curious as to why such a trade would take place.....as opposed to selecting someone they were interested in keeping in the organization.
My only guess is that our Rule 5 slot was much higher than the slot the Rangers had, and the Rangers didnít want to risk losing the player?
Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Probably the same reason the Phillies did it with Burdi one pick earlier. The Pirates contacted them and asked if they would select Burdi. The Pirates wanted him but knew the Sox would take him and he would not be available. So they asked the Phillies to pick him and made a deal with them. Assume that the Rangers wanted this guy and called around to find out who would be willing to take him with an early pick (perhaps they knew or suspected someone else ahead of them wanted him) and made an offer. Doesn't benefit the Sox a lot but doesn't cause any harm to take the money and create a little good feeling between a potential trade partner of the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Sounds like the Rangers wanted Tocci (and Sox didn't) and were afraid he would be off the board by the time their draft slot came up so they essentially paid the Sox to take Tocci for the Rangers (Sox had a higher pick in the draft than the Rangers). Just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
My only guess is that our Rule 5 slot was much higher than the slot the Rangers had, and the Rangers didnít want to risk losing the player?
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Imagine that. I guess the front office might know a wee bit more about their organization than the commenters in the balcony.
No one picked them. We'll see what they do with all of the 40 man room now.
357-453

Last edited by Tragg; 12-14-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
No one picked them. We'll see what they do with all of the 40 man room now.
357-453
Yes, Tim McCarver, that's how it works. Rick Hahn made a call about who to leave unprotected and he was right - no one picked them.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I was told on WSI that Jordan Guerrero, Tito Polo, and perhaps others were as good as GONE thanks to Rick Hahn's incompetence when it comes to the 40-man roster.
Guerrero was on the top of some lists of draft-eligible players.

I'm happy the Sox didn't lose anyone, but the Sox had several free spots on the 40-man, so they didn't even have to expose Guerrero, Polo, and Peter. What pissed me off is that they protected deadwood relievers (who they have already non-tendered!) instead of prospects. There was basically no downside to protecting those players.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

I'm happy the Sox didn't lose anyone, but the Sox had several free spots on the 40-man, so they didn't even have to expose Guerrero, Polo, and Peter. What pissed me off is that they protected deadwood relievers (who they have already non-tendered!) instead of prospects. There was basically no downside to protecting those players.
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, there was a downside to protecting those players that we don't know about because we don't work at the top level of the White Sox front office.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica

We gain an extra year of team control on all those players by not having to use an option year.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, there was a downside to protecting those players that we don't know about because we don't work at the top level of the White Sox front office.
Impossible!

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Quote:
We gain an extra year of team control on all those players by not having to use an option year.
Thanks for the info. This sheds light on why they chose to protect or not protect who they did.

Wow, imagine that. It's not just that Rick Hahn & Co. are complete bumbling fools who should take some advice from fans on WSI!
Old Today, 12:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Thanks for the info. This sheds light on why they chose to protect or not protect who they did.

Wow, imagine that. It's not just that Rick Hahn & Co. are complete bumbling fools who should take some advice from fans on WSI!
They pretty much knew that those kids were not near major league ready, thus leaving them unprotected.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old Today, 08:23 AM

Quote:
That would be foolish. Unless the players have very high ceilings, in which case there's no debating whether to protect them, you don't worry about keeping them for seven years. You worry about losing their first six.
Old Today, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
They pretty much knew that those kids were not near major league ready, thus leaving them unprotected.
Rule 5 guys rarely are. The only one that surprises me is Guerrero. Lefty pitchers are hard to find. I'm surprised someone didn't stash him at the bottom of their bullpen. It makes me wonder whether the Sox and everyone considers him to ever be major league quality.
Old Today, 09:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That would be foolish. Unless the players have very high ceilings, in which case there's no debating whether to protect them, you don't worry about keeping them for seven years. You worry about losing their first six.
That's not the main reason. That's just an added side benefit.

The main reason for leaving them unprotected is because they Sox had more valuable players and prospects who did need protection on the 40-man roster. And they concluded - correctly, as events have shown - that the unprotected players would not be added to the 25-man roster of another team for all of the 2018 season.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old Today, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
That's not the main reason. That's just an added side benefit.

The main reason for leaving them unprotected is because they Sox had more valuable players and prospects who did need protection on the 40-man roster.
That's patently false. They protected a number of aging relievers who they have since non-tendered. They could have protected three more players on the 40-man without blinking.

It is lucky that they didn't lose anyone, so I'll give Hahn credit for judging the market, but the point is it's a risk the Sox didn't need to take.
Old Today, 04:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's patently false. They protected a number of aging relievers who they have since non-tendered. They could have protected three more players on the 40-man without blinking.

It is lucky that they didn't lose anyone, so I'll give Hahn credit for judging the market, but the point is it's a risk the Sox didn't need to take.
And they may yet acquire additional prospects who need protection on the 40-man roster, such as might be acquired if they dealt Abreu or Avi. If so, then prospects you didnít have to protect in the first place, like Guerrero or Peter or Walsh, would have to be outrighted back off the 40-man roster, and would be free agents and able to sign anywhere.